Author Topic: Henry Monkton Herbert  (Read 10557 times)

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Monkton Herbert
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 November 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes Roger George and Elizabeth are Henry Monkton Herbert's children.
The children are:-
Henry Arthur Augustus Herbert, master mariner, 1808 Gorbals, died Calcutta 1848
Elizabeth, spinster, 1809-1888,lived Tinahask Arklow, died at Rockingham
George Herbert 1808-1891 publisher, writer business Wicklow and Grafton Street, Dublin, lived Manders Terrace before moving in with sister Elizabeth at Rockingham.
Rev. Thomas William Herbert 1815 Wicklow, died St John Southend on Sea 1902.
Jane Emily Herbert writer 1921, probably Arklow, died Moryn Lodge , Sorrento Road. Dalkey seems to have travelled widely. (Mrs Thomas Mills 1857)
Sleep is the reward of the working man. I think you deserve it. Lefayre.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 November 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I've now found references to three named illegitimate children of the 10 Earl at The National Archives,but sadly,no Moncktons.
There is also an 1806 attestation for a Henery Hurbert(sic) into the 24th (Light) Dragoons,which apparently recruited in Ireland,and served in India at this time.but,again,no subsequent Captain in the Army Lists.The gap between Elizabeth(1809) and Thomas William(1815) could,perhaps,
suggest service in the Peninsular War.
Perhaps Henry did not have his children baptised(are the known ones births rather than baptisms?),with Thomas William having an adult baptism prior to ordination?

More questions than answers...

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 November 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to make something out of the following small pieces of information

1.A Captain Henry Herbert was given as going from Manchester to Dublin in early 1827

2.A William Loftus was also in Manchester that year.While he is reported as being of the Ist Kings
Dragoon Guards,the Army List has him as of the 2nd Queens Dragoon Guards.Some information has the 2nds being in Scotland in the early 1800s

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Indexes/RN-1827.txt

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Cavalry/Regiments/c_2ndDragoonGuards.html

This William Loftus was also the founder of the 24th Light Dragoons and their Colonel in 1802(see "Henery Hurbert,previous post).

3.A Captain Henry Herbert is also reported as being in Berkeley Square in early 1827.45 Berkeley Square was the address of the Earl of Powis at this time.

4.Possibly a coincidence but George Augustus Herbert,10th Earl of Pembroke died in London in late 1827.
(another more remote coincidence is that Charles Street,Berkeley Square was the residence of the Moncktons(Robert and daughter Mary as previously) in the latter part of the 1700s-not sure about 1827)

Regards
Roger

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 January 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Roger,

I am indeed indebted to you for your interest in my family history. thank you.

No did not know Monkton was near Orielton! Perhaps Jane Barlow's family knew the Herberts? The plot thickens. I have not to date been able to pick up a birth for Henry at Monkton.

There seems to be some mystery surrounding John Barlow and his two marriages. Sir Arthur Turner Thomas has the marriage of John Barlow and Jane Harrison on his Celtic Royal Genealogy but gives them as having Lewis, Arthur and Thomas. This seems impossible as the marriage with Jane was in 1696 and that with Ann Owen in  November 1701. 

In John Barlow's Will 1716 he does not leave a bequest for Lewis but names him co executor with his mother Ann. This might be that he had already looked after Lewis during his lifetime. I have seen this position taken on other Wills.
Or it might be that Lewis is Jane's son and that  the marriage of John and Ann was  predated.

The College of Arms has among other siblings. Lewis born 1701, Arthur born 1708 and a younger brother Thomas. Arthur is mentioned in Ann's (by then Cornwallis) 1737 will, but not in his brother Thomas' in 1747.

Thank you again.

Lefayre.
[/i]
Posted on behalf of lefayre
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thomas Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Over 30 years of leadership in management, Operations support, logistical engineering, workforce planning, Training, Safety, strategic planning processes, building critical partnerships, property management and working with Federal budgetary constraints.
    • View Profile
Children of General Robert Monkton
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 June 18 03:20 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family history and am trying to determine the names of General Robert Monckton's illegitimate children.  Does anyone know who they were and where they were born?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Children of General Robert Monkton
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 June 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family history and am trying to determine the names of General Robert Monckton's illegitimate children.  Does anyone know who they were and where they were born?

Greetings, and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Do you mean General Robert Monckton (1726-82)?
(I wouldn't want to hunt the wrong man!)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thomas Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Over 30 years of leadership in management, Operations support, logistical engineering, workforce planning, Training, Safety, strategic planning processes, building critical partnerships, property management and working with Federal budgetary constraints.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 June 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
Phillip
     Specifically, I am looking for the children of General Robert Monckton (1726-1782), born on June 24, 1726, the second son of John Monckton, created Viscount Galway in 1727, and Lady Elizabeth Manners, daughter of the Duke of Rutland.