Author Topic: Could these names suggest Isle of Man Links?  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could these names suggest Isle of Man Links?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The 1859 birth is on www.lancashirebmd.org.uk and shows mmn was also Wilson which could possibly suggest that child was illegitimate.

Are you working from a fathers name on his marriage cert?

What about earlier census entries as you only mention 1901/1911

Yes Carole,

I'm working from Father's info on William James Wilson's Marriage Cert.

I'm completely unable to find him anywhere before his Marriage in Swansea in 1893.

Romilly ::) ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 November 14 11:52 GMT (UK) »
So what was the fathers name and occupation given on the 1893 marriage cert?

IF - he was illegitimate, there is always the possibility that he was not born as Wilson but perhaps took a stepfathers surname if his mother married a Wilson.

What you also need to bear in mind is that failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874/75 so prior to that date there are thousands of unregistered births
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »

On his Marriage Cert he gives his Father as 'William Wilson (Deceased) Occupation: Mason'.

The problem is that there isn't a Mason called William Wilson with a son William in Manchester in 1861 or 1871.

I suspect that he was probably illegitimate, but I don't have a Mother's name.
He's fairly definite about having come from Manchester on the 1901 and 1911 though.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.