Author Topic: Name change?  (Read 5139 times)

Offline AW104

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name change?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 December 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but I'm inclined to think that Derby doesn't fit, she said she was born in Jarrow but I don't know what to believe to be honest. Hart she told me was her mothers maiden name, she was brought up by her grandparents (Hart) because her mother died. I'm wondering if Thomas Hart named as her father on her marriage cert was actually her grandfather.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 December 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
She may have been confused when she was young about who her parents actually were if she and her brother Thomas ( b 1917) were brought up by grandparents. Maybe she thought they were actually her parents. I see Rebecca Macaulay's death registered age 24 in same quarter as Doris birth.
With the marriage taking place in Stockton and Rebecca's age it is easy to find them on 1911 census two years before marriage. Looks like Thomas died in 1962 age 74 reg Durham N E, so a fair chance of finding him in 1911 as well.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline AW104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 December 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca's death and Doris's birth do tie up. I'm not sure about Thomas (dad) dying in 1962, I found another person of the same name b.1888 d.1932. As far as I remember there was talk of him having a break down aftet Rebecca's death and being institutionalised.
i need to renew my subscription and look into this properly. Too much guess work on my part.
Thanks for the info. :-)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 December 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Just found the 1932 death Middlesborough district - where his mother Margaret was from (according to 1901 census). The later one could be the Thomas registered same quarter in 1888 in Gateshead district. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Given that she was of 1 Lorne Street both at Kenneth's birth and at her marriage, it would be worth trying to find electoral rolls or other info that would link her parents or grandparents to this address.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk has a snippet (you would need to pay to see full info) from WWI which suggests the Hart family may have been at that address for some time:
STOCKTON BOY AT ANTWERP. Stephen Hart, of 1, Lorne-street, Stockton. who enlisted in the Royal Naval Division eight weeks ago. in an interview' with a North Eastern...

It looks to me like Stephen would have been Rebecca MacAulay nee Hart's brother.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AW104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
It does appear that they could have lived there for a number of years. Thank you for that snippet, it's very much appreciated and I will definitely look into that further along with electoral rolls.
Disappointed that the marriage certificate didn't give the MacAulay surname for her father, I need to find a definite connection before I go any further with Thomas.
Thanks again.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper cutting is the Daily gazette for Middlesborough dated 16 Oct 1914. It gives an account of the siege of Antwerp. Nothing more about the Hart family.

Offline AW104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  :)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Stephen's service record is on FindMyPast. It confirms address as 1 Lorne Street and father as Thomas H. Hart. Definitely looks like Rebecca's brother