Author Topic: Calcutta, INDIA: Scots Cemetery look-up  (Read 16457 times)

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Calcutta, INDIA: Scots Cemetery look-up
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean the Ann De Rozaar   Executor for Dr William Spink  who was the East India co Surgeon, and Board member at Bombay Hospital.     Ann and Dr W  Spink had 2 boys William  and Charles   and named Ann as  their Mother in his Will.   Due to the lawyer renouncing Ann was sworn as Executrix  however she could not read and made a mark,  another Lawyer named Constable  took  over the Estate management .

Her G son went on to join the Army in USA and each Attestation  paper described him  physically as possibly   having a different cultural background   to Scotland where he was Born.     Do you think  this is the same Ann..

Offline Newtradition

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
My wife has an ancestor named Charles Spink whom we believe was Dr William Spink's grandson, Her Charles came to Australia with his wife Ann (nee Thompson) and we have details of his life and ancestors in Australia. However, we have been seeking more information about Charles' father, Charles. We believe his partner was Isabella Rankine, although we have found no evidence that they were married. There were several other siblings. We would welcome more information about Dr William Spink as we had been led to believe that he had married a local lady in India while there as a surgeon. It appears that Ann De Rozaar is that lady. Can you please confirm that a marriage took place? Also is there any reference from the Scottish records in India that Dr William's father was also in India?

Any information would be welcome.

Regards
Steve

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Yes,   this is def the right  Spink  family !

Thanks for your reply,     We have a vast amount on the families  going right back that i think you would be interested in .  There has been a few of us around the world  that have been researching the Spinks  together  ( online ) and in fact the funny thing is we have just been doing more together  in the last few days  !!! after a break and the Thompson  research is what has been worked on  only have been to busy to get involved in the last few days  but i am happy to  join you up to them  for that info as well .    Dr William Spink did not marry  Ann ( Nancy was her nick name ) however Dr William ensured  she was named as the boys mother in  his Will and she was left a large legacy .  He is named as the boys Father on their Baptisms in India but not her which was normal - However when he died 1798  there was a problem  with one of the Lawyers who  left India, i  n the end  Ann was appointed  administrator ( Bombay Courier )  and there was codicils in his Will.          Its a pretty  huge story  Steve.  Im just looking how to send a PM on here but not sure how  right now .   S

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Please use the personal message system to exchange email addresses

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Newtradition

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 06:29 GMT (UK) »
It seems as if there is a really interesting family story which we have not discovered. We have been dabbling in family history for some years, and know that there has been quite a lot of work done on the Spinks' and the other family connections, such as the Thompsons. About 20 years ago, we spent almost two days in the Scottish Archives in Edinburgh and came home to Australia with a great wad of paper, copies of documents concerning the Spink families in particular, but we haven't read them for several years, so perhaps the time has come to read them again.
We would be more than happy to get involved with your group. We may have small bits of information which you don't have, although I suspect that this is unlikely, but we would like to know more about my wife's ancestors (her name is Yvonne). She also has German/Danish ancestry and we have been lucky with expanding our knowledge of that line, thanks to an archivist in Germany who we found quite by chance and who lives in the same village where Yvonne's came from. I am happy to pass on my email address, if you have any information to share, but I'm not sure if that is appropriate thought RootsChat. Perhaps you can advise me. Regards - Steve

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Steve , thanks for that ,  Im hoping you have received  a pm i  sent  not sure i did it right.
 S

Offline Newtradition

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Sue. It came through OK. I will send you an email reply later this evening.
Steve

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh it seems to have worked... yah   !

Steve it is such an incredible story  even going back to Dr Williams Father   Captain  Andrew Spink   who was shot smuggling tobbaco  i  got the  records  from London Archives.   

When we connect on line i can send you an invite into my  Spink Ancestry tree .

Offline Newtradition

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
That sounds great, Sue. I have just sent you an email, so I hope this gives you a little more info about Yvonne's connection.
Steve