Author Topic: What do these abbreviations mean from this burial parish register?  (Read 13720 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What do these abbreviations mean from this burial parish register?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi California D

I like the idea of Buried Naked! But it just would not happen in those days. Wool was the cheapest cloth when this law came into force in 1666 and amended in 1678. The alternative was fine linen which was an expensive import. The idea was to support the English wool producers.  If the upper classes wanted fine linen they had to pay a fine - hence the sworn affidavit that the coffin contained a wool shrouded body.

If you were really a pauper then the parish would pay for your shroud and burial costs. No one would go naked to their grave.

There is an amusing piece about the law here:

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/buried_in_wool.html

I must admit when I first read the question I was surprised at the late date of the practice as I thought it was pretty much ignored by the late 18th century.

To Arthur; I did see one burial marked "From Bridgenorth" a few years prior in the Register so it would not be an impossibility. I think sometimes people were sent back to their birth parish to be buried. Eight miles was no distance. Just a couple of hours by foot and less on a cart.

Venelow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Think I'm going back to look at more of those records. I only looked through a few either side.  If it was in (Church) Latin, the B is usually for Beati /Blessed .
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
"Sorry, Malky. I also read it as Browne. It's fairly common in old records."

Thats your opinion, but I also have the opinion that the letters are clearly B, r, o, n, r, n, e, and not Brown. This conclusion is based by comparison of the rest of the two pages primarily posted, and the main letters in conflict, r, n and w. There are several instances of each.
Also, as for the BN query, there is an answer posted by myself in reply number 3.

Regards

Malky

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi venelow

Just quoting Wiki  ;)

Perhaps they meant figuratively (i.e. not in wool) and not really naked  :o

In any event can't wait to find out what it really means!

CD

Offline AndrewJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for their help so far!
 I am looking for the burial of Sarah Brown who was born Sarah Roden  christened in Barrow  6 Jan 1740,married a John Brown in Barrow 19 Sep 1765( he was from the parish of Broseley about 1.5 miles away,both signed their names and he spelt his name without an e but I have noticed this doesn't stop the curate spelling it with an e !) and they had a daughter Sarah christened I think in Broseley in 1774 but married in Barrow to Thomas Wilmott in 1792.
I do not know their occupations Thomas Wilmott and indeed his son were 'Brickmakers'
I think B.N. could be Bridgnorth which would probably rule this Sarah out,but then again the Sarah Bronme on the other page buried Dec 8Th would fit!
My only other line of investigation is to find their gravestone or memorial inscription,there was a John Brown buried at Barrow on 21 Aug 1789
Brown of course is a very common name with many born in Bridgnorth and surrounding parishes,unfortunately I can find no suitable John Brown born in Broseley parish so that looks like a dead end for my research :(

Andrew

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »

"Sorry, Malky. I also read it as Browne. It's fairly common in old records."

Thats your opinion, but I also have the opinion that the letters are clearly B, r, o, n, r, n, e, and not Brown. T

Not just my view:

PS - Sorry Malky I too read the name as 'Browne'

The name of the person buried on the 8th December is Sarah Browne  :)

Added -drowned in the same hand:
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gadget and the others, the Dec burial is a Sarah Browne.  Its not untypical of the writing for that period, as Gadget has shown in the other image.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 November 14 04:00 GMT (UK) »
"Thus far sent to Hereford",  which appears twice,  probably means he prepared and sent the "bishops transcript" copy.

But what does "Thus far accounted for to the King" mean ?

I am quite unconvinced by the theory that BN means "Bridgnorth"

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 November 14 05:38 GMT (UK) »
The abbreviation BN signifies 'born' - so without reading through the entire thread, to me this suggests this is the death of a new born.

Just my tuppence worth.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]