Author Topic: Garys and Gareys in Stockbridge 1600s and 1700s  (Read 4142 times)

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garys and Gareys in Stockbridge 1600s and 1700s
« on: Wednesday 26 November 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone can advise me. I am descended from Richard Gary/Garey (1755-1801) in Stockbridge, Hants, who married Hannah Elliot (1755-1833) in 1770. Richard's parents were Edward and Elizabeth (I think they are Edward  - born 1718 - and Elizabeth Parker - born 1730- , married Stockbridge 26.10.1710).
I have found 2 trees online, apparently by the same person, but slightly different. They give Edward's parents as John (baptised 26.12.1705) married Mary ?Plowman, born 1700. John's father was also John (1680-) and his father was Richard, born 1660 or 1665, who married Elinor (born 1660). Richard's father was also Richard born 1630 or 40, who married Jane born 1635 or 50 in Stockbridge.
There are slight differences in date between the two trees I found, but the main problem is the two Johns. In one tree there is only one John (baptised 1705) but both Johns are given with the same source that "he" was a master carpenter with an apprentice in 1718. Unlikely if he only 13 years old. So the other (father) John (1680) seems likely. The son is also cited as a "taylor".

I like the idea of the master carpenter, as many of my family, who later migrated to Shoreditch and Stroud, were wood workers and walking stick makers, right up to my grandfather.

I am going round in circles, so I thought I would ask the experts if I can accept the observations I quote. What I am trying to do is to find out if the links above are likely, so that I can get myself back to 1630 from a century later.
Thanks if you can advise. Laurence

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Garys and Gareys in Stockbridge 1600s and 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to contact the tree owners?

Believe nothing.

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I got a short response with an email, then nothing further and emails are "undelivered". I still hope to get a response, but I thought it wise to get other opinions.
Thanks for your initial reply.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Richard Gary, son of Edward & Elizabeth was baptised in Stockbridge 24 Nov 1752.  He had two siblings (at least):

John 6 Aug 1749 and Esther 25 Dec 1756 (buried 29 Mar 1758).

The marriage of Edward & Elizabeth is recorded in two parishes: Stockbridge & Nether Wallop on 26 Oct 1747.

Edward Gary was baptised in Longstock 21 April 1718, son of John & Mary.

Problem now arises - Longstock registers only date from 1718  :-\

The Mary Plowman marriage is recorded in 1711 at Kings Somborne, but the groom's surname is up for debate.  Sight of the original might be a good idea. But the dates you quote can't be right for this couple -
John (baptised 26.12.1705) married Mary ?Plowman, born 1700.

Neither would have been old enough to marry in 1711.

Struggling to find baptisms which might be these two.  Variant spellings are something to consider by this date.

Are there any wills that might help you?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 14 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Little Nell. First of all I see that I made a mistake when I said Edward and Elizabeth (Parker) were married 26.10.1710: I meant 26.10.1747.

I had the siblings of Richard (John and Esther), but did not know she died so young.
I also had Edward, baptised 21.4.1718, son of John and Mary, but was not sure he was my Edward, which now seems likely. I wonder if this is Mary Plowman: the 1711 marriage would fit. But maybe I should just stick to "Mary" for the moment. This John may be the master carpenter who had an apprentice in 1718, and thus born in 1680. The 1705 John would be his son... ?

As to the earlier possible links, I have Richard married Jane (? dates), sons Ralph and Nickles (1669-and 1679-). Richard (? a brother of Ralph and Nickles) married Elinor (dates?), children Richard and Elinor (lack of imagination!) (1686- and 1688-). Did they have a brother John (1680-) (the carpenter) who had a son John The "taylor" (1705-) and a daughter Mary (also 1705)?

The names are, as you say, variable. The Stockbridge tribe varied between Geary, Garey and Gary.

I start getting confident about my line with Richard, who married Hannah Elliot in 1776 in Stockbridge

I shall try to work on this a bit more, but your comments are very valuable, and I thank you again.

Laurence

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 November 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
A Richard & Jane Gare had a son Ralph baptised 27 Apr 1669 in Stockbridge.  I would recommend checking the original register entry.

Richard & Jane Garey - son Nickles bapt 5 Mar 1670/71

Richard son of Elinor & Garey bpt 27 Mar 1687 Stockbridge.  Having difficulty at the moment locating Richard senior's baptism.  Elinor bpt 1 Feb 1688/89.  Don't see a John.  Elizabeth bpt 5 Apr 1696 daughter of Richard & Eleanor Gearie

No luck with the marriage - but the registers for Longstock only begin in 1718 and for Stockbridge about mid 1660s.  I've not been able to find any possibilities.  :-\

Nell

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 November 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Nell. I confirm these last names and dates that you gave me. It seems to me that the weakest link is John, born 1680, the supposed master carpenter. The younger John, baptised 1705, purportedly his son, who may be the tailor, is traceable, but John the elder I cannot find. I am most grateful for your help and look forward to linking all these together. I suppose at some stage you have to say one is not sure which Richard or John or Jane we are dealing with.

I had a plan to visit Stockbridge earlier this year, but didn't manage to: maybe in the Spring. Would the 17th century records be there I wonder.

Cheers, Laurence

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I had a plan to visit Stockbridge earlier this year, but didn't manage to....... Would the 17th century records be there I wonder.

No, they would not.  All original parish registers have been deposited with the appropriate record office - in this case, Hampshire Record Office at Winchester.  Some local history libraries have copies, but I don't think Stockbridge has one  :(

Where was John baptised in 1705 please - I haven't been able to find him?  And what happens to him afterwards?

Nell

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 November 14 06:34 GMT (UK) »
I have tentatively a John baptised 26.12.1705 in Sherfield English, died about 1797, Longstock, married Mary, and children Moses 1723, Catherine, 1729, Edward 1730, Thomas 1752. Edward married Elizabeth (this is the couple that seems to be Edward and Elizabeth Parker, married 1747). They had Richard who married Hannah Elliot, and this is my line.

Laurence