Author Topic: Mother of John Travers Cornwell VC  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Mother of John Travers Cornwell VC
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 November 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input. Trish, that is the problem, we have been unable to find a marriage for Lily King either. There is one possibility which i intend to check; very many of Eli's (and my) family members in the Cambridge area were members of the strict Baptist Congregation at Lode. I wonder; and intend to check, whether Eli's marriage to Lily took place in their premises, and was never registered in the conventional manner. Believe me, such weddings still occur today; married in the sight of God etc. and blow the authorities!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 April 19 20:29 BST (UK) »
john travers cornwell did in fact live in kent at one time contrary to most opinions and attended school at dunkirk next to boughton under blean nr faversham kent. hes recorded there and is on the role of honour and it can be seen on the FAVERSHAM.ORG official town website. under dunkirk village. i come from there

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 April 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
king is a well known local name in the boughton area

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 April 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this. Another line of enquiry.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 April 19 03:33 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that you must have found this by now, but Lily (recorded as Lilley) King was bp.26/11/1871 Leighton Buzzard, daughter of George King and Charlotte (nee Wiles or Wild, depending on what record you look at).

On 1881 census - Lilly is shown as daughter to Elizabeth King, widow. plus a sibling Mercy E. Wiles bc.1864 Wendover, Buckinghamshire.   However, on 1871 census Mercy Wiles is shown as 'niece' to George and Charlotte i.e. Mercy and Lily were cousins not sisters.   So is 'Elizabeth' King, widow in 1881, really Charlotte who's husband George appears to have died in 1875? 

Charlotte Wiles (bc.1844) was the daughter of James Wiles (Wild, or Wyells) and wife Fanny Smith and not baptised until 1852 at Ellesborough which is where the family lived 1841/1851 and 1861.   She did have an older sister Elizabeth b.1840/1841 (also baptised 1852) but 'Elizabeth' King in 1881 is the same age as Charlotte.  At the end of the day, Mercy was a niece to Charlotte (1871 census, doesn't appear to have been baptised) and Lily was her daughter following her marriage to George King (baptism).   Can't see the name 'Travers' coming from Lily Kings family.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 April 19 04:11 BST (UK) »

I am confused. Parents according to Find a Grave:

Eli Cornwell
1853–1916

Alice Cornwell
1865–1919

Sibling Arthur Frederick Cornwell
1887–1918

First Class Boy JOHN TRAVERS
CORNWELL V.C.
Born 8th January 1900
Died of wounds received at
the Battle of Jutland
2nd June 1916.

This stone was erected by scholars and ex-scholars
of schools in East Ham.

"It is not wealth or ancestry
but honourable conduct and a noble
disposition that make men great." Ovid

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 April 19 04:32 BST (UK) »
 tbh sounds like they may possibly have romany roots because many of the names mentioned are known romany surnames.

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 April 19 05:53 BST (UK) »

Frightened of further unrest in the area, the Government decided a Christian mission might help, made Dunkirk a proper parish (at last), and built both a church and a school. The church, at the top of Boughton Hill, was declared redundant some years ago and has been converted in to a dwelling.

Its most famous ex-pupil is Jack Cornwell, hero of the 1918 Battle of Jutland in World War I, who, though mortally wounded, stayed alone at his gun on HMS Chester and kept firing it. He was awarded the VC posthumously.

sorry i seem to have pasted most of the page from faversham .org.  about dunkirk,i spoke to the council today and had a go at them for getting the date of the battle of jutland wrong. lol they didnt like it. told them they should have been able to get the date of the greatest sea battle in british history correctly. i asked them to correct it because its of national interest.

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 April 19 05:58 BST (UK) »
i went to school and grew up in boughton thats why i was always aware of that cornwell went to school there.