Author Topic: Mother of John Travers Cornwell VC  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Mother of John Travers Cornwell VC
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Your mention of the Puritans reminds me that the Ayres/Cornwell extended family at Bottisham/Lode (Cambs) and their community in general were strong supporters of Oliver Cromwell, who was born at Huntingdon, less than 20 miles away in the fens, and was the MP for Cambridge. After the restoration of the Stuarts on the throne there was very heavy repression of them for their support of Cromwell, and for the extreme Protestant religion. There are stories (quite unconfirmed unfortunately) that the name Cornwell is in fact a version of Cromwell altered in an attempt to avoid the persecution of the new high church Anglo/Catholic monarchy as it then was prior to the 1688 Act of Rights passed by the then English Parliament. This led to the placing of George I, formerly Elector of Hanover on the throne of the now United Kingdom by Parliament after the death of the last Stuart Monarch Queen Anne in 1714.
The throne was offered by Parliament to the nearest Protestant descendant of Charles I who happened to be George, the direct ancestor of the present Royal Household. The present Queen, Elizabeth II being the 10th generation on from him.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
john travers cornwell did in fact live in kent at one time contrary to most opinions and attended school at dunkirk next to boughton under blean nr faversham kent. hes recorded there and is on the role of honour and it can be seen on the FAVERSHAM.ORG official town website. under dunkirk village. i come from there
i am on the site now, but can't find him. In fact though on the map Dunkirk does not appear in the list of villages. Am I missing something or is it likely to have been removed for updating due to the error of the date of Battle of Jutland being noted to their consternation?
Help please.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
well i got an email saying it had now been amended and i saw the amended date, from the council rep dealing with it,they actually thanked me for pointing it out. its not unusual for the kids to be put in the workhouse temporarily  either,and tbh i already knew they had been in there,  people who were homeless and hungry often did that,adults used to refuse because of the awful conditions they endured there,my grandmother used to still have nightmares about it when she was an old lady. dunkirk is now part of boughton under blean parish and the church is closed and so is the school and was amalgamated with boughton. loads of homeless people lived in the woods around dunkirk,squatters and most of the local population descended from them , just put dunkirk in the normal search box on there, ive looked,because it also has a description of the last armed uprisng on english soil 1838 in which my cousin george branchett was killed and other cousins were killed or transported to australia. .as far as i know its still on faversham .org with date change. cornwell is a version of cornwall as far as i know and is a known romany name and quite a few on your list are tbh,. as for cromwell ,well people are mistaken saying he was a puritan because he didnt like them too much or quakers either.he was actually a congregationalist and i can absolutely assure you his name doesnt have any connection with cornwell , in fact cromwell is descended from williams a welshman from local welsh gentry who married thomas cromwells daughter  and changed his name because it gave him an advantage , as you may or may not know thomas cromwell was henry the 8ths right hand man who enriched himself while lord chancellor and held manors and lands everywhere.but that family existed in medieval times and held lands in kent where i live  and all over england,basically he was a thief ,and some of my mothers ancient family, elys of kennington descended from elys de otham were married into them (daughter) and in turn his daughter married hales whose line of viscounts ended at hales place hackington canterbury when his daughter and heir became a nun.im descended from the elys family of kent too,we used to own town place and the manor at throwley faversham  kent. we sold it in 1631.and this  cromwell owned nearby tunstall and hales came from same area. although obviously cromwell did work with the puritans he didnt like some of them. well just looked again,its on the faversham.org with amended date.just put dunkirk into main search box,when it comes up go down to ''places''  if jack was at dunkirk school he had to be of a certain age to be there so if he was born about 1900 then it had to be between 1900 and 1910/11? when was she with eli?when was he in the army? search service records. search workhouse records for that area. look on 1911 census. search parish relief records for the areas.  failing all else write or email faversham .org and ask where they got the records from. can you actually prove your relationship or is it hearsay?in the meantime i will look  in local census etc there was a poor house for boughton but part of the local union at faversham went up to near sittingbourne and one nearby at selling. but dunkirk isnt far from canterbury either, or blean village. dunkirk was a ''ville'' its definitely on there, like i said, there was probably one at blean or canterbury,or perhaps the mother was employed nearby on the farms because literally hundreds used to come down for the fruit picking then on to the hopping from london and many were travellers right up to about 1960,

Offline roblet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
just a thought,i noticed that some kids from london at that period were sent to places outside london and at that time workhouses no longer teached them but sent them to public schools. dunkirk was part of the faversham union, sometimes kids were fostered out through other unions and this may be the case i believe now.you have to look in ancestry.uk  or find my past for the years he was supposed to be in the workhouse.https://www.kentworkhouses.uk/kent-unions/faversham-union/  it states it in here. but but doesnt hold the records.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these. I shall get nothing further done before Sunday now as I am busy tomorrow, at Alexandra Palace Friday and have an exhibition Saturday.Will check the site out again on Sunday to see if Hanks stuff is posted again. Thanks for previous work.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 May 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
Haven't forgotten just been horrendously busy with a variety of matters. Need to get a grip on this.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 May 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
tbh dunkirk in the blean was a 5000 acre forest and was a vast squatter and gypsy settlement. also many came into the area for the fruit and hop picking seasons.  the king family are related to us as a female  elizabeth tong married a king. king is also a common gypsy name. as for your  dna well  ive also seen youve asked before on here redroger about gypsies, well i believe some of your other names are too. tbh. 

Roblet, As above you suggest many of the names I am researching are of gypsy origin, with the exception of Burton (on my father's maternal side) and Ayres (my maternal grandfather, which I know to be gypsy) would you tell me which of the others are gypsy/traveller/Romany names? I believe Burton is probably NOT in this case, it is a widespread surname in Yorkshire and the East Midlands, one of whom I had dealings with as a councillor was certainly a gypsy, but many others equally aren't.
The names I am researching are drawn approximately equally on both sides of my tree, and if they go for my mother's side it will make a probable base for further research.
By the way I have had a Y chromsome DNA test and a Mt DNA test so both sides are covered.
My origin was shown as 15% British Isles, 84% Western Europe 1% East Africa, Indian or statistical noise. I was expecting a much more mixed picture, but apparently no trace of gypsy origins.
Thanks.                                                                                                                   

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 July 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
Roblet, Do you have any further information for me please?
Roger