Author Topic: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?  (Read 124887 times)

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 April 05 18:15 BST (UK) »
I'm very new here, and I've been browsing through the archives just to see what I could learn.  I came across this thread, and hope it isn't too late to contribute.   :-\

Anyway, I have a corkcutter in my family tree!  He is William Gill, born c. 1838 and died 1886, both in Exeter.  He is listed as a corkcutter in 1871 and 1881.  Both times he was living in Stepcote Hill, Exeter. 

I hope this adds something new to your index.  Thanks to you, I now know what a corkcutter is.  :)

Arishmell
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 April 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, Many thanks for the information about William Gill.  The only other "Gill" on my index at present is James M. Gill working in Wakfield, West Riding Yorks in 1862.  This is geographically quite a jump, but I would be interested to know if there is a family connection.  Such a small percentage of people were corkcutters that there is often some link in families.
Other surnames that I have cropping up in Exeter over the years are Bartholomew Worth (c. 1797),  Wm. Mortimer (1822) John Tothill (1822 and 1844), John Stockham (1844) and Bailey (1895).
More significantly I have William Gale mentioned as a master in Exeter in 1882 and 1884.  He is also running a business in London at Walworth at that time.  Could this be your William Gill or maybe just a coincidence?

Best wishes

Corkcutter
Ball(s), Mewett, Keegan, Stoner, Newman,
Thompson, Rolfe,Cullum, Bayley (Bailey)
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 April 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi corkcutter!

Hello, Many thanks for the information about William Gill.  The only other "Gill" on my index at present is James M. Gill working in Wakfield, West Riding Yorks in 1862.  This is geographically quite a jump, but I would be interested to know if there is a family connection.  Such a small percentage of people were corkcutters that there is often some link in families.

No connection that I am aware of.  Most of my lot stayed firmly in Devon - very rarely they emigrated to Dorset or Somerset.  William and his wife Maria Clement(s) both originated from Down St Mary, a very small village - Exeter was the big city!  William's father was a bricklayer, Maria's a carpenter.  Lots of siblings, but no more corkcutters found yet.

Other surnames that I have cropping up in Exeter over the years are Bartholomew Worth (c. 1797),  Wm. Mortimer (1822) John Tothill (1822 and 1844), John Stockham (1844) and Bailey (1895).
More significantly I have William Gale mentioned as a master in Exeter in 1882 and 1884.  He is also running a business in London at Walworth at that time.  Could this be your William Gill or maybe just a coincidence?

I haven't come across any of those names.  I think William Gale must be a coincidence.  Stepcote Hill where William Gill lived was a very poor part of town, and I can't imagine him running a business in London and living there.  He had a son also called William, but he was only 14 and a scholar in 1881 so he's not likely to have become a master by 1882.  I can't find the son in 1891, and only a dubious possibility in 1901, so I don't know if he followed his father in corkcutting.  If I find any more info, I'll let you know.  :)

Regards, Arishmell
Researching:
All in glorious Devon!

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 17:24 BST (UK) »
Believe it or not, I've just found another corkcutter in the family!  As far as I can see they are completely unconnected, on different sides of the tree.

This one is Robert Morris of Glasgow, aged 57 in 1901 and living at 72 Holloway Street, Exeter.  I know he married his wife Mary Ann Morrish in 1889 in Exeter, but I can't find them in 1891 yet.

Just think, less than a fortnight ago I'd never heard of corkcutters, now I've got links to two of them. :)
Researching:
All in glorious Devon!

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks - Robert is now on the index.  I can't see any other Morrises that would link up.

What a coincidence!  Exeter was not a big corkcutting centre and the job is pretty rare.  According to the census there were only ten corkcutters working in the whole of Devon by 1911 and even at its height in the 1860s, only about fifty.

Best wishes
Corkcutter
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 07:34 BST (UK) »
Just found Robert Morris in 1891 - this time he claims to be 43 and born in Birmingham!  Definitely the same man though, as the wife and child are right.  He's gained a middle initial too - Robert M Morris.  Living at Hookway Buildings, Paul Street, Exeter.  Still a corkcutter.

Interesting statistics about the prevalence of corkcutters in Devon - did you mean 1901 rather than 1911?  (Or do you have privileged access to something?!)  Quite a coincidence that I should claim 2 of this rare breed, and totally unrelated so far.  There may be a Morrish connection, but if so I think it must be before 1800 so very remote.

Researching:
All in glorious Devon!

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for yet more information.  I too have an amazing number of ancestors who dither over where they were born.  Mind you, as they can't have just pulled places out of the air, it does give some idea of how they must have moved around in their young lives.

The only other Morris I have is a Henry working in London in the 1880s, other than that they are all in the 1700s.

By the way, yes I did mean 1911.  Although they won't let us look at the personal records, it's possible to see all the facts and figures that the census was really designed to produce  at the Office of Natiobnal Statistics in London.

Best wishes

Corkcutter
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 May 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
HI Corkcutter,

I found these corkcutters for you in The Deserter Index.

Surname Forename Regiment Age Birthplace Trade at enlistment; Date Published in Police Gazette

SUMPTER James 74th Foot; 26; Greenwich; Kent; Cork cutter; 20 Sep 1834
WATSON Thomas 6th Drag. Gds.; 20; Richmond; York; Cork cutter; 12 Sep 1829
WATSON Thomas 6th Drag.Guards; 25; Richmond; York; Cork cutter; 19 Nov 1834
WATTS Richard 45th Foot; 24; Banbury; Oxford; Cork cutter; 29 Jul 1837
WILLIAMS Stephen 89th Foot; 22; St. James; Bath; Somerset; Cork-cutter; 26 Sep 1832
GRIFFITHS Thomas 8th Foot; 27; Chirk; Denbigh; Cork cutter; 16 Nov 1833
ANDERSON Joseph 72nd Foot; 18; Huntly; Aberdeen; Cork-cutter; 11 Dec 1839
GREY James 2nd Drag. Guards; 23; Leith; Midlothian; Cork-cutter; 10 Nov 1832
KEENAN Charles 2nd Bat. Scots Fus.; 19; St. Andrew's; Lanark; Cork-cutter; 7 Sep 1831
THOMPSON John 6th Drag. Guards; 22; Alrdric; Lanark; Cork-cutter; 13 Sep 1837
WILSON William 2nd Bat. 60th Rifles; 20; New Gray Friars; Edinburgh; Cork-cutter; 19 Sep 1838
WILSON William 2nd Bat. 60th Rifles; 20; New Greyfriars; Edinburgh; Cork-cutter; 10 Mar 1838
CARROLL Michael 4th King's Own; 23; St. Michael's; Dublin; Cork cutter; 6 Oct 1830
GREEN George HEICS, Artillery; 22; St. Barry's; Cork; Cork-cutter; 5 Oct 1831
McGUIRE John 85th Foot; 21; Inch Magrath; Fmnh; Cork-cutter; 15 Jul 1839
SCOTT John 13th Foot; 22; St. Mark; Dublin; Cork-cutter; 15 Jan 1840

Best Wishes

Amy
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 May 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Amy.  That was quite an exciting surprise and an unusual source too.  One name turns up in a trade directory for the correct area in the 1840s.  I wonder if he was no longer "wanted" or whether this is another member of the family.

Trade of CORKCUTTING