Author Topic: Sussex Marriage Index: Henry Lampard (or Lamport), c.1700  (Read 6721 times)

Offline acauston

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sussex Marriage Index: Henry Lampard (or Lamport), c.1700
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 July 05 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Jane:
I've just come home from work to another bunch of goodies :D.
That's interesting, Jane, about the family name changing.  In the Steyning parish records (which I've reviewed on microfilm at an FHC), all of the Lampard/etc. entries descend from Henry & Ruth, and all of the spelling variants occur.  Some of the entries you've given below, are familiar to me from searching the Steyning parish records.  By the time our branch of the family moved on to Coombes (briefly) and then Piddinghoe c.1850, the surname was firmly Lamport.
And thanks, too, for the list of parishes not included in the SMI.  That's important, isn't it.  Have you seen the church at Botolphs?  It's ancient, and lovely.  I think I'm likely to find a few Lamper/etc. entries in the parish records of that and other neighbouring parishes.  Somehow, I always knew that I was going to have a good go at all those records ::).
Thanks again, Jane, and here's hoping your good turns return your way.
Cheers,
Alison
London/Croydon: Causton. Steyning, Coombes & Piddinghoe, Sussex: Lamport. Bournemouth/Croydon: Dunford. Bristol/Croydon: Wawman, Hurford. Long Crichel, Dorset: Loader. Wivelsfield, Sussex: Miles. Kilrea, Co L'Derry: Kilpatrick, M'Kay. Caledon & Dungannon, Co Tyrone: Huggins, Kennedy, Thompson. Co Kerry: Burke. Corbrackey, Co Armagh: Flavell, Jones. DruminallyDuff, Co Armagh: Gilmore.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Your welcome, Alison,
Believe me, so many people have done 'good turns' for me, it's a pleasure to return the favour to the community at large.
No, never seen the church at Botolph's.
The list of parishe's I sent were for the IGI, not the SMI that you stated.
Happy Hunting,
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
No, never seen the church at Botolph's.

Jane, perhaps I was thinking of the church at Bramber ... parts of it predate the 11th century.
See you 'round the RootsChat forums ;-),
ac
London/Croydon: Causton. Steyning, Coombes & Piddinghoe, Sussex: Lamport. Bournemouth/Croydon: Dunford. Bristol/Croydon: Wawman, Hurford. Long Crichel, Dorset: Loader. Wivelsfield, Sussex: Miles. Kilrea, Co L'Derry: Kilpatrick, M'Kay. Caledon & Dungannon, Co Tyrone: Huggins, Kennedy, Thompson. Co Kerry: Burke. Corbrackey, Co Armagh: Flavell, Jones. DruminallyDuff, Co Armagh: Gilmore.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 09:59 BST (UK) »
Alison,
Just cruising the web and you might like to know that someone is researching the LAMPER name on the Sussex Family History site. 
http://www.sfhg.org.uk/ext/EA50.HTM

There is an email address to contact this person!

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 19:43 BST (UK) »
I am pleased to say that I am the person researching Lampers on Sussex fhg! I just checked through all the messages about Lamport/ Lamper with great interest. The last couple on the Lamper list James and Sarah are my great great grandparents. One of James' brothers was baptised as a Lamport the others were all Lampers! I think I have contacted Alison before but we did not seem to have a link. perhaps we do now. Thelma
Lamper, Hoather,Trangmar,Hide, Hollingdale, Sussex
Dinkele, Galer London
Pope, Beaven, Button, Somerset
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs
Burrow, Goodwin, Worcester
Pound,Naish, Wilkey,  Bristol

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 July 05 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thelma:
I've checked all "our" Lamports (& variations) and not found a direct connection with your gr-gr-grandparents.  However, I have only studied the Steyning parish records to this point, so cannot say whether the Sompting records might tie in at some point.
The only possible connection I see between the Steyning Lamports and the list given us by Jane is one John Lamport, christened in 1779 at Steyning.  He could have been the groom in the 1804 marriage to Elizabeth Lisher.  However, unless the Sompting parish register gave "son of" information for this marriage, how would we know? ???
Still, it's grand to hear from you. Perhaps we'll make a connection some day.
Take care,
Alison

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 July 05 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again, John Lamper( perhaps Lamport!) and Elizabeth Lisher are my ggg grandparents. They are the ones who baptised their first child as John Lamport and all the rest as Lampers. I am in touch with someone researching the Lisher line so perhaps one of us will work out who is who. Bye Thelma
Dinkele, Galer London
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 July 05 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thelma:
Just wondering, if you have checked the Sompting parish records?  Does the entry for the marriage of John Lamper and Elizabeth Lisher say anything about the individuals being "of this parish" or, perhaps in John's case, "Steyning", or elsewhere?
Regards,
Alison

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 July 05 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,
Someone on Rootschat gave me the info about John and Elizabeth. They were both 'of this parish' i.e. Sompting. Their son James was born in Upper Beeding which is given as Sompting although having checked a map they are some distance apart, so I do not really understand what it is all about. Some of his children 's birth places were given as Sompting/Steyning which also does not seem to make sense.

Have you come across Kelvin Lamport? He put a message on Genes Reunited saying that he had traced his Lamports back to c1680 in Steyning with the name of Lampard. I contacted him because his other variant names were Lamper and Lampert.
 Good luck. Thelma
Dinkele, Galer London
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs