Author Topic: Albert Hunkin b. 1873 Mevagissey, Cornwall, England  (Read 8803 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Hunkin b. 1873 Mevagissey, Cornwall, England
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 November 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
 ;D No just defining how long they had to register a birth!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 November 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
So from the looks of it Albert Hunkin born 19 June 1873, Mevagissey, Cornwall, England is the same person as Albert Hunkin Roberts born Sept qrt 1873, St Austell, Cornwall, England and baptized 2 July 1876 Mevagissey, Cornwall, England.

I find it interesting that the father (William Thomas Hunkin) is listed on the marriage certificate, but not on the baptismal register where only the mother (Mary Roberts) is listed. Hopefully the birth certificate will clear things up. Were they even allowed to put the father's name down if the child was illegitimate?

I'm beginning to think William Thomas Hunkin was married and this is why he and Mary (Robins) Roberts never married.

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 December 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Just received a copy of Albert Hunkin's marriage certificate. One of the Witnesses was a Richard Roberts. The only Richard Roberts I can find in conjunction with Albert Hunkin/Albert Hunkin Roberts is a nephew who would have only been about 16 when Albert got married. Would a 16 year old be allowed to be a witness for a wedding? If so this lends even more credence to Albert Hunkin Roberts and Albert Hunkin being the same man.

Other info on marriage certificate - Albert Hunkin lived on Cliff St., Megavissey. His father was William Thomas Hunkin, deceased, sailor in Merchant Services. In the 1901 census Mary Roberts is also living on Cliff St, Megavissey.

On Albert Hunkin's death certificate the info was given by his son William Hunkin. Named after grandfather?

I found in the 1871 census for those not on board ship a William Hunkin, Boswn 2nd, married, 35, born Falmouth, Cornwall. I also found a Jemima Hunkin age 27, fisherman's wife with son William T. age 2 in the 1871 census living with Thomas and Maria Ley as their adopted daughter in Mevagissey.  Could this be Williams Thomas Hunkin's, (father of Albert Hunkin/Hunkin Roberts) wife and son? This could be why Mary Roberts and William Hunkin never married. He already had a wife.