Author Topic: Elizabeth Illidge, born 1844 in Aston-by-Sutton  (Read 12904 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Illidge, born 1844 in Aston-by-Sutton
« on: Friday 28 November 14 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for the birth of Elizabeth Illidge, given as aged 7 in the 1851 (listed as Illage), aged 17 in 1861 (as Illidge), and aged 27 in 1871 (now married to John Tudor), born Aston-by-Sutton, Cheshire, all suggesting an 1843/44 birth. 

Neither FreeREG, Ancestry nor FindMyPast offer a birth for 1843 or '44, but have one in MarQ 1842 and MarQ 1846, both Runcorn, but both seem out given the ages quoted on the censuses. 

I've found a lot of Cheshire parish records on FindMyPast, Ancestry and FamilySearch, but surprisingly I can't find a baptism for Elizabeth (I have her marriage on 1 Oct 1865 and her burial on 10 Nov 1875), nor her parents marriage, John Illidge to a Sarah from Weaverham. Several trees on Ancestry suggest her surname was Sweetman but I can't find anything to confirm this.

I guess I could ask the GRO for a birth in 1844 to parents John and Sarah, so they'd look at 1843, '44 and '45, but I'm wondering if her birth wasn't registered.

Any suggestions or help more than welcome, thanks.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Illidge, born 1844 in Aston-by-Sutton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 14 03:55 GMT (UK) »
A possibility?

Elizabeth Hillidge
March 1/4 1844
Runcorn Cheshire
vol 19 page 219

This one seems to have parents Ralph and Martha Hillidge in 1851 so not yours.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
You can rule one of them out

Elizabeth Illidge
Burial
27 Sep 1846
Aston-by-Sutton, Cheshire, England

Heather

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 November 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
John Tudor and Elizabeth married 1865 St Peter Aston by Sutton

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

There is a possible burial at the same church for Ann on Family Search

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQGX-59S

I think it's likely that the baptisms took place at the same church and as far as I can see they are not yet on line. :(

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, sorry, done some more searching this morning using variations on the spelling!

Rolnora - thanks for the death of Ann, Elizabeth's sister, I hadn't found that before but it looks to be her :(. FindMyPast has the marriage image which says the Aston chapel, but I assume that's the same as St Peter's (or maybe it became St Peter's).

Crisane - I'm beginning to think that the Elizabeth Hillidge birth you found may be hers (though Ralph and Martha Illidge had an Elizabeth too, around 1844 - many children over nearly 30 years so possibly the years aren't too accurate, will try and check that). 

Heatherjulie - thanks, that Elizabeth would appear to be the Mar 1846 birth, the burial shows her as 8 months.

The Mar 1842 births appear to be twins Elizabeth and Martha, daughters of John and Ann, baptised on 6 Jan 1842.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
There are some on line at Ancestry but I can't see John, Ann or Elizabeth
I can't find a way to browse the records for St Peter to see which dates are included ???
Can anyone help with that?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rolnora, Family Search has a lot of records for Aston-by-Sutton without naming the church, but they seem to finish just when I need them! I found a lot of records there for the Illidge/Hillidge family while searching for Samuel in the other post you helped me with http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706390.0

And FindMyPast has a number of them, with the actual images, but again, strangely, no baptisms for any of the children of John and Sarah. I didn't know about the son John until I found them as Ilage on the 1851 (thanks to your spelling suggestions on Samuel).

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
I've been searching for St Peter Aston by Sutton as being the likeliest place for the baptisms and Family Search are saying they only have burials.
Have a look here,
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Aston_by_Sutton,_Cheshire.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating background to the area, thanks Rolnora (and I've saved a copy of the picture of the chapel). So it was a chapelry until 1861, though Elizabeth's marriage in 1865 still says Aston chapel.

I've found baptisms on FamilySearch until 1837... https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3RP-7Q8

And using the images on FindMyPast, I've now scrolled through from 1839 to 1850 but not found John, Elizabeth or Ann. Unless mum Sarah was non-conformist, though Elizabeth married in the chapel. Nothing's easy is it, especially around the time of the start of registration?

Deirdre