Author Topic: To where did Peter Griffiths go? Born 1844 St Issells  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
To where did Peter Griffiths go? Born 1844 St Issells
« on: Saturday 29 November 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Peter Griffiths was born in St Issells in 1844 to parents
John Griffiths and Rachel ne้ Griffith/s
he was from St Issells (1815) and she was from Eglwyscummin,Carmarthenshire(1804)

in 1851 the family is living in St Issells and Peter has a sister called Ann Griffiths and a half brother called John(whose father is unknown-poss base born of Rachel)

1861 Peters parents had moved to Swansea and just Ann was living with them

1861-Peter was boarding with a Britten family in Llanelly where he says he was an engineer

Peter married Mary Watkins born 1844 Haverfordwest, daughter of Benjamin Watkins a coachmaker and his wife Elizabeth ne้ James
at that time his address was Birchgrove Cottage, Llansamlet,glamorgan
Peters father John was said to be a colliery agent

Note that on the same day Mary Watkins' sister also married there..

1871- not known where is was

in 1871 his wife and children Annie b 1867 and John (Watkin)b 1869 both in Pembroke Dock
were living with Peters parents in Llansamlet..

1881-Not known where he was

in 1881 Mary was back living in Haverfordwest (Barn Street)
with her children
new children were,
William Benjamin born 1874 Plas Marl,Glamorganshire(swansea area)-Llangyfelach
Thomas Henry born 1876 D.O

1891- Not known where he was

in 1891 Mary was again living in Haverfordwest with two new children
Alice born 1881 Haverfordwest
George born 1884 Haverfordwest
Mary is listed as Married so Peter should be still alive

by 1901 Peter was dead
Mary was listed as being a Widow on the 1901 census

William Benjamin Griffiths married Jane Molineux in Cadoxton-Juxta-Barry, Glamorgan in 1898...
Peter was said to have been a Fitter....but no note is present to say that he was deceased at the time
but looking trough the register I don't believe that any comment to a father being dead was put down..
a newspaper article about he marriage does not give any mention of his father...but does mention "Mrs Griffiths" Haverfordwest...but plenty about the brides parents as I suppose the locals knew the family better...

These baptisms were found by a kind member on here a while back

Alice Griffiths born 30th March 1880 baptised 13th January 1887
Thomas Henry Griffiths born 17th July 1876 baptised 13th January 1887
George Griffiths born 14th February 1884 baptised 13th January 1887
All showing abode Barn Street, Father Peter occ Engineer Mother Mary
and
William Benjamin GRIFFITH 28th September 1873 Llansamlet Father Peter Mother Mary

I believe that is all the information I have at the moment...

Wonder if anyone could help find Peter on the census?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: To where did Peter Griffiths go? Born 1844 St Issells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering whether Peter, although originally a colliery engineer, ended up on ships (given the links to Pembroke Dock, Haverfordwest etc)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 November 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I have Peter christened 23 Jul 1843 at St Issells (parents John & Rachel) from LDS: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1B6-T8P

There is only one possible death in the UK between 1891 & 1901 for your Peter and that is March Qtr. 1898 in Lancaster, age 53 giving a estimated birth date of 1845.

There were 9 registered births for a Peter Griffiths between 1843 & 1848.  I did a quick search through A.ty and found possible earlier deaths or later census for 7 of those Peter's, shown below:  I know that this is a long shot of a very rough search (plus there may be a few mistakes) but it may be worth while chasing up if it can provide a death certificate.

Surname    First name(s)        District    Vol    Page
Births Sep 1843   GRIFFITHS    Peter        Narberth    26   606    
Births Mar 1844   GRIFFITHS    Peter        Wrexham    27   253     died 1844
                          Griffiths            Peter        Holywell    27   277     died 1883
Births Jun 1845   GRIFFITHS    Peter        W Derby    20   1012     died bf 1891
                          GRIFFITHS    Peter James    Dudley    18   261     died 1865
Births Sep 1845   GRIFFITHS    Peter        Bolton    21   122     died 1845
Births Mar 1847   GRIFFITHS    Peter        Wrexham    27   291    
Births Mar 1848   GRIFFITHS    Peter        Ruthin    27   181     still alive 1911
Births Dec 1848   Griffiths            Peter        Stoke     17   137     died 1849

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I'm still none the wiser as to where he died or when.

If he was alive at the time of the marriage of his son in October, 1898 (I have the original cert), but dead by 1901, you would have thought there shouldn't be too many to look through. My current hunch is perhaps he died overseas.

As was suggested above, if he did work on ships afterwards, then perhaps he was overseas at the time of death and so not recorded here. 

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Just with regard to what Mabel said in her reply about Peter being a colliery engineer, how was that identified?  I have found a reference to a Peter Griffiths born about 1834 indentured as a Merchant Navy Apprentice in 1860 in Swansea:

UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910

Name:   Peter Griffiths
Birth Year:   abt 1843
Registration or Indenture Date:   18 Feb 1860
Port of Registry:   Swansea
Vessel:   Capricorn

I have looked at the births around that time and can only see 2 or 3 possible Peter Griffiths.

Does not help with the death date but gives a good indication why he is not on census.
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Warre

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 24 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Peter's GRO birth cert gives 2 July 1843 at Stepaside, St Issels, Pembrokeshire; also repeated in the family bible from his wife, Mary Watkins' side. My conversations with his grandson Ralph, now over 40 years ago, revealed that Peter had sailed between Swansea and Newfoundland and 'had' his own boat - I'm not sure if that implied he was regular crew or owned it. 

I was also told that Peter's wife (or possibly his daughter Annie Elizabeth), when in Newfoundland, had cut their hand to show the indigenous children that their blood was the same colour.  I was then told that Peter's wife "didn't like it out there".  I don't know whether they were just visiting as family accompanying Peter or intending to settle but Mary and daughter came back to stay with Peter's sister, "Aunt Gordon" at Clydach, nr Swansea.

In 1890 Peter (presumably) was the person who "brought home" Jack the Amazonian parrot.  I cannot identify anyone else who might have 'brought him home' rather than simply buying him. 

This still leaves the question unanswered though perhaps with more clues as to direction of search.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 24 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it's relevant, but a Peter Griffiths sold two dwellings in Barn St in 1877 (in the occupation of Messrs Jones and Richards)

Mary lived to a good age didn't she. Died in 1932. She left a will which, you  never know, might have some clues.

Online Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 24 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Peter will not be listed in census records if he was travelling. He only needed to be away for the day, as that would qualify him as not being at that address. My g-g-g-grandfather only appeared on 2 census records as he was a Mariner.

Annie Elizabeth 1866 and John 1869 both registered in Pembroke, with links to Llanelli and Swansea suggests he is a maritime engineer, though the same engineering could power a colliery, as steam would drive ships and water pumping engines.

There is another Peter Griffiths born the year before in Haverfordwest, so the sale of buildings might be him.

Added: On the 1921 census at Morriston, Glamorganshire there is a Mary Griffiths b. 1837. I do not have a subscription so cannot see the address or who is living at the same address.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 24 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Mary's still in Haverfordwest in 1921 - at the same address as 1911 and on the probate register. Looks like son George is with her