Author Topic: Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957  (Read 9095 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, though I didn't say, Albert was my Granda - teller of stories, singer of songs, giver of the BEST of hugs and whiskery kisses and my best friend when I was a small child. I know about all of his children, including those, like Lilian, who were born and died too soon. I never met James Arthur or any of Albert's siblings.

It 'is' possible that Lilian was named for Elizabeth/Lily but that is one of the many things I wish I had asked when he was still around. What I wouldn't give for just an hour again with him, not just to ask the questions I would like answered, but mainly just to spend a little time with him again :-)

Boo

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
When looking for information on James Arthur Henry with wife Elizabeth/Lily, please be aware there is another JAH with wife Lily that shows up in Manitoba/Sask starting in 1901 through 1921.
James Arthur Henry b. 1881 Ontario
Lily Wilkinson b. England
m. 13/01/1902 Manitoba
first child Gladys Emma b. 1905, Manitoba
show up on 1906, 1911, 1916, 1921 census in Humboldt, Saskatchewan
occupation is farmer but many times this would also be labourer.

Wanted to point this out when looking for info so that you don't assume that all info that you find is for your James Arthur Henry.

When looking for information on James and Elizabeth, I would look for old photos with names on the back, cards, etc. also look for obituaries for the children of this pair as it may give reference to her being nicknamed Lily. Depending on how many females in her family were given the name Elizabeth, many could have been given nicknames. My Aunt Peg real name was Elizabeth, my great grandmother named Polly for Mary Ann.

Good hunting
Val

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 December 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if George W A married a Marion in 1946 (FreeBMD)? If this is the same George the cert should give you his father's name?

Marriage now checked out, the grooms age isn't a match and neither is the father's name.

Thanks for the suggestion though, every straw floating by gets clutched at round here :-)
Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 December 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
When looking for information on James Arthur Henry with wife Elizabeth/Lily, please be aware there is another JAH with wife Lily that shows up in Manitoba/Sask starting in 1901 through 1921.
James Arthur Henry b. 1881 Ontario
Lily Wilkinson b. England

thanks valeriec
That is a good point, I did search the Canadian census returns when the James/Lily passenger entry on the 1912 crossing was suggested and saw the people you mention.

The passenger list says that James was a stonecutter (which was a definite plus point for this record) and their destination was Regina
and this other man seems to have lived in Humboldt and was  a farmer /?drayman - or at least his occupation was recorded in 1921 as ‘draying’ so I assume something to do with horse drawn transport of some kind?

Of course, I have no idea if Regina would have been sort of a ‘waypoint’ to get to Humboldt, never been to Saskatchewan, but looking on the map it seems to be about 135 miles north of Regina (which is probably almost ‘next door’ in Canadian terms!)

Checking family ephemera (photos, cards etc) isn't an option as they no longer exist. (these things are sad, but it happened and there's no turning back the clock).

I will investigate the newspapers for obits but for the everyday folk here in the UK the best I am likely to get is a death/funeral notice in the newspaper and 'maybe' a mention of living descendants.

Boo

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 December 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Love the username, TicketyBoo...
Yes you can't discount the way naming can change... the childish version of Elizabeth, Lily-Beth...If a baby sister or mother called her that, it could stick. Doesn't hurt to follow through all the leads and then prove or disprove. One's occupation can change quickly when moved into Saskatchewan.... My Lumberjack/Blacksmith etc. family had to quickly become farmers, or starve. There was not a lot of room for more than one specialized field. Keep options open, but don't hang your hat on anything until it is proven...Middle names were often used as first names of several of my great aunts & uncles.
Keeps us hopping!  You have some great helpers on here... J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 December 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Love the username, TicketyBoo...

Username? he he I have been Tickettyboo on the web for more years than I can remember, webfriends send snailmail addressed to "Mrs T. Boo", which always makes the postie giggle :-)
But no, the vicar flat out refused at my christening to baptise me as such :-)

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice, all taken on board.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 December 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Baby step forward for two records which are 'possible, but not enough to be exact.

1911/Saskatchewan/Regina/62Regina/page 4 (about June time?)
Which has Albert and James in Sask, right ages doing some sort of building work

25 Nov 1911 passenger list arriving Liverpool on the Empress of Ireland that has an Albert and a James HENRY on it. listed together. The ages are out and the occupations are both ditto-ed as 'farmer'

This morning I have found records for Albert in the database for the Amalgated Society of Carpenters and Joiners
1 May 6th 1907, Albert HENRY was admitted to the Society, Gateshead 2nd Branch, single, age 21 years and 9 months (Albert was born Aug 1885), having worked 7 years at his trade (he was now out of his apprenticeship and was a Master Joiner)

2 April 8th 1910, Albert HENRY, who was admitted to the Society, Gateshead 2nd Branch on May 6th 1907 at the age of 21 years and 9 months, single, transferred to the Toronto 1st Branch (this ties in with the 1910 crossing for Albert on the 'Canada' arriving Halifax from Liverpool 15 April 1910, destination Toronto)

3 15th November 1911, Albert HENRY, who was admitted to the Society, Gateshead 2nd Branch on May 6th 1907 (hand in the air, that actually says 1901 but I'd bet my boots it was misread when the entry was made) at the age of 21 years and 9 months, single,  transferred FROM the Regina Branch back to Gateshead (this ties in with the crossing for Albert & James 25 Nov 1911 on the Empress of Ireland)

4 There is a later record all the same admission etc info and Gateshead Branch and it says that Albert HENRY married on 31st July 1915 (this matches the date my Albert married)

These records tick all the boxes for me, they have everything bar a note saying 'hey Boo, here's your Albert' :-)

So, not for James Arthur but as the Canadian census and crossing that were in doubt had Albert AND James its a bit more weight to be added to the likelihood of it being for these brothers.

Its a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle, without the picture and someone has hidden half of the pieces! Its SO much fun though and totally mind-blowing that not only have these records survived all this time but bit by bit they are becoming available on the web :-)

Plus of course the web gives us access to places like this where, via the kindness of strangers, I can get new leads to follow, opinions on whether or not my logic is flawed etc etc.

Thanks everyone!

Boo

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 December 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Wow, those are awesome records to be so thorough with ages and a date of marriage? Nice find. J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 December 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes they are brilliant and just released this morning on FindMyPast so the Genealogy Gods have been very kind to me :-)

Boo