Author Topic: RAINES Genealogy - Broken Hill SA  (Read 24289 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAINES Genealogy - Broken Hill SA
« Reply #144 on: Sunday 01 September 19 12:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Fionair1981.

You must be a cousin of some sort of the person I was doing this research for.  :)

You mentioned that Cyril's brother died when you were 5. There were 6 boys in the family, including your Cyril and my acquaintance's ancestor Edwin James. Are you referring to the death of Horace John?

If you read through this thread you will see that this is a very complicated family. I admit to being very rusty on the details as it has been several years since I worked on this.

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know and I'll see if I can help.

Offline Fionalr1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Monday 02 September 19 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My pop was Alfred Ronald passed in -November 1986. I have to go back through my family tree and the thread and figure out what I have is correct and what isn’t. It all gets very confusing.

The family (well my parents) were unaware of Cyril’s oldest child and his first marriage he did end up marrying Georgina but not until late in life and had the one child Colin.

We have made contact with his grandson I think in Waikerie and his children and wife these are my 2nd and 3rd, 4th cousins.
I started doing my family tree out of curiosity to see if we had any previous diagnosis of autism as my son is autistic.
I do believe we have a relative in an institution here in SA but unsure of his name and where. The only person who knows info is my Aunt Patricia but she is ill with Cancer.

I am wanting to know the names of my dads great grandparents and further back I seem to get stuck there. Also i am curious to know of any indigenous connections as my dad and myself have olive skin. I’m very different to the rest of the family and I know that I am not adopted :-) lol

Lionel has also triggered my curiosity with what he posted and mum confirmed that Ernest is family.
Regan - Ireland
Ashton - England

Raines - Lyminge & Australia
Doyle - England & Australia

Offline Krisstine Sinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I’m Krisstine daughter of Kathleen Alva Pine (née Raines) mum passed 23 rd of dec 2010 her parents Horace John Raines (Jack) and Irene Fransica Brophey . Horace family Cyril , Ivy, Evelyn etc . I’m new to this too . Mum was married to my dad Graham John Pine he just passed away 20 th July 2020 😭

Offline jango51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
I am an hobby family tree researcher and came across these posts.  Part of this query was  discussing John Chapman & Jane Nee Cole.  They married in Stoke Damerel, Plymouth, Devon and came out on the Prince Regent.   It appears that there is a mix up with their daughter Martha Agnes and a Martha Elizabeth.  I have only quickly read some of the posts but note that Cando's replies are accurate.  Martha Agnes was born 18th June 1854 at Port Road, Port Adelaide, South Australia.  She went on to marry David Coates.  They had 12 children.  It is important to note that the majority of the family over the generations, lived in and around Port Adelaide although John & Jane purchased land on the SE corner of Marion and Dawes Road, Marion, Adelaide and two of the children were born there.  John became a farmer and a District constable.  Martha Agnes died June 17th 1907 in Little Queenstown, Port Adelaide, South Australia and David on 22nd August 1930 at Queen Street, Yatala East, South Australia.  Their plot is Section K, Drive C, Path 13, Site Number 59N, Cheltenham Cemetery, Cheltenham, Adelaide, South Australia.  I hope this clarifies some of the information being discussed.

Offline Fionalr1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 14:27 BST (UK) »
After all this time I’m still working on my family tree, I have since found a burial of a Sarah Raines aged 3 months in 1876 in Kapunda, 20 min from where I live.

However there are no parents listed, I am curious who the parents are, was the mother apart of the St Johns Reformatory just outside of Kapunda, were the parents in the mining camp??? These are just little things I want to try and figure out.
I have to sit and look at the tree and see what I have again and put things together.
Regan - Ireland
Ashton - England

Raines - Lyminge & Australia
Doyle - England & Australia