Author Topic: RAINES Genealogy - Broken Hill SA  (Read 24301 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAINES Genealogy - Broken Hill SA
« Reply #45 on: Monday 08 December 14 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Righto, I am back. Thank you all for the information, and apologies for the confusion and double up postings. I did not intend for this to happen, but everyone's help is much appreciated. Thank you moderator for merging my two threads.  :)

I did have some of the information from the free indexes, but some I did not have, so I am grateful for the contributions. 

Cando, my head is spinning but I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it looks like you have solved the Childs/Gyles puzzle.

I did have the James John 1871 birth in 'my notebook' but would never have noticed the mention of Victoria in the death notices (I thought I'd read all mentions of James's death on Trove) ...

I have to digest all of this but I'm sure there will be more questions.

Lovely. Thank you everyone.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 08 December 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

I may be way off track, and perhaps a generation or two earlier than your request, so perhaps you can pop the following info to one side. 

from some NSW electoral rolls, in the 1870s, in the era when the police were responsible for compiling the rolls, and the electors needed to be:  locals, males, aged 21 and over, British Subjects,  and some minor property qualifications, etc.   The info was given verbally, so there can be spelling variations in surnames (not all police were good spellers !)

1870 NSW Electoral Roll BALRANALD electorate, police district of Mitchell
Henry RAINS of the Barrier Ranges, residence, Darling Back Blocks

1870 NSW ER THE BOGAN, police district of Canonbar
BJ RAINE  of Mundadoo, leasehold, Marra Creek

1870 NSW ER THE BOGAN, police district of Bourke
Bathurst James RAINE, of Hermitage, leasehold Marra Creek
Thomas RAINE of Beeinery, residence, Darling River

I will look for COCKS later today, and I note that BJ RAINE and Bathurst James RAINE are likely to be one and the same person.   It was possible for multiple enrollments.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM. They might come in useful later.  :)
All contributions gratefully received, as this is all way out of my experience and comfort zone.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I notice that "Bathurst James Raine" shows up on a google search on a couple of trees.....father was a "Captain" so I think perhaps he isn't one of "my" Raines.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Genealogy SA" Members?
« Reply #49 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I have Florence Adelaide Cock in my database. The Cocks and the Riddles seem to pop into my family tree here and there.
Thomas Cock and Eliza Riddle were married 23 Dec, 1862. Eliza's niece was my great grandfather's second wife. Thomas's brother Josiah married my ggg grandfather's (of a different line) niece.
Florence was born 25th April at Pittenween (sp?) nr Kadina. There were ten children in total. Names are available on GenSA website. Florence was married July 11th 1896 at the Baptist Church Manse at Kadina. She died 29 March 1949 in Adelaide and is buried at West Terrace Cemetery.

The Raines/Wallace marriage took place 27 April 1918 at the Methodist Manse, Wallaroo Mines.

From FindMyPast's online index of SA marriages 1842-1937 transcriptions.

Edwin James RAINES, Single, aged 19,
married 27 April 1918 Methodist Manse Wallaroo Mines, Daly, South Australia,
father as James Raines         
and
Ethel May WALLACE, Widow, 23, with father as William SAMPSON
Registration no. 275/376

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you JM, that is the correct marriage. I can now add the finer details to the tree. A bit off topic, but Ethel's first marriage to Harry is said, via family stories, to have produced two children. I do not have my notes to hand at the moment, but Harry Leonard was born in 1915 after the death of father Harry, and I would love to know the name of the other (earlier) child born to Ethel and Harry Wallace, if possible.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Was Harry Leonard's older sibling likely born in NSW?  The NAA has Harry's place of birth as Broken Hill. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I have sent Ruskie a PM with a possible NSW Birth registration for a likely older sibling. 

ADD, drilling down on NSW BDM website, birth seems to be early February 1914.    I have living rellies born earlier years (so aged 100 plus years) so I have not named this possible sibling.

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 01:38 GMT (UK) »
For your interest.
South Australian death

1921 444/482  WALLACE  Alva May
Relative  Harry WALLACE [F]
 Adelaide

ADDING Death Notice

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/109198520