Author Topic: George Augustus hayles  (Read 7360 times)

Offline bee02

• I have unsubcribed from receiving notifications from RootsChat
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Augustus hayles
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 February 15 06:49 GMT (UK) »
An ancestry tree states that he deserted the army in 1918 , joined the Merchant Navy , jumped ship in Australia and was shot dead by one of his sons in 1940 in New South Wales !  None of this is sourced but there was indeed a George Hayles , Private in the Northumberland Fusiliers , who is listed on the Rolls as receiving no medals and deserted 8.1.18.

Which site is this information on?

Offline bee02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 February 15 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Further to the shooting story the tree states that he was also known as Peter Augustus Clayton. The shooting was widely covered in the newspapers and the story can be followed on the Trove website. So far I've found nothing to confirm that George Augustus Hayles and Peter Augustus Clayton were one and the same.

Yes he was the same person - I am his Great Grandchild. He was named after his father George.

Offline lydiafield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 February 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Thank you for your reply. How did you find out his real history, did he reveal his true name etc, I can understand changing the surname but not the forename. Do you have actual proof that Peter &George are one and the same. I have tried finding the story on trove but could not find it, Lydia.

Offline bee02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 February 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, are you a relative? He didn't legally change his name, so there is no official documentation. We have handwritten letters by him, to his family in UK. Within these letters he shows a conflicted personality. There were definitely emotional issues between himself, his parents and certain siblings. My personal thought is that he wanted to identify himself separately from his father George. He clearly adored his mother, writing to her only and repeating that he wanted to prove himself to his father.
With the help of dates, addresses, details on his marriage certificate & stories he told his children, all matching that of his UK life and his photos we concluded that he is the same person. It explained so many odd things about his life.
So in conclusion, there isn't any official evidence, but to his descendents, we are satisfied that George Augustus Hayles lived and died in Australia as Peter Augustus Clayton.

Offline lydiafield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 February 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from the Jude line, that was George's mother's maiden surname. I am just completeing details for his siblings and apart from George I cannot find his brother, Robert, but I think I have all the details for his sisters. Did you know George had been in trouble in Newcastle as a child, perhaps this is the root cause of his problems. I have his parents' death certs if you would like info from them. If you can let me know his marriage & death details I would be pleased to send all I have. Lydia

Offline bee02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I do have his marriage & death certificate to share with you but I'll need some time to find them on pc as I'm on my phone. Also I not familiar with Robert? Only an Alfred and Henry as brothers.. ?

Offline brandydandylab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
I am the Granddaughter of George Augustus Clayton  I have been assisting my cousin in Wales research for the past 4 years tracing the history of George who was known to me as Peter Clayton  I have the original marriage and death certificates     I  disagree with the comments and psychological evaluation made by bee02 regarding the life of George Augustus  Hayles    I did share all the information I had found and certificates I purchased with who I believe is bee02   There is much more to this mans life than what has been posted by bee02

Offline bee02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 06:34 BST (UK) »
Please share the whole story then, as all these previous posters had access to were the newspaper articles from trove, that unfortunately show a negative one side to his end days.
I simply added to the discussion to encourage a more human view of an individual, as opposed to a newspaper report.

The views of my father (your cousin), one uncle, Nan (your aunt) and two great grandmothers comments throughout the years, are how I had formed my own opinion. The letters you shared with us fit the story.

If you now know more of the story of George, please share it, as that's the only way anyone of us can have the whole picture, and learn more.

We
 only know what we're told.

STEPHANIE.

Offline bee02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, what exactly is it that has offended you? I haven't given anyone your purchased documents or shared anything. We were grateful for you to share it with us at the time.
 A previous poster (lydia) stated a personal opinion of a possible answer to having 'troubled' life. But you have attacked my personal only.
If my post caused you offence, apologies, but as I said, we only know what we are told. How would I know that there's more to his life if it hasn't been shared? Everyone is at different stages of research. You don't have to pull rank.
 If this reply was in person I would be standing up for myself just as I am here.

I wish everyone else luck with there genealogy research. I'm done.