Author Topic: When records dry up!  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
When records dry up!
« on: Thursday 04 December 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Good evening :)

I am trying to find get further on the tree of an Edward Browne.  I have his gravestone inscription, where he died in 1869 aged 70.  I have a marriage date of 1835 (but no physical record) to a Mary Eliza Gillman, and a record listing for wills for both of them.  I have managed to go back with Mary Eliza, as she appears to be peerage.  But Edward Browne seems to come out of nowhere!

I can't pin down where they actually got married.   Her father had an address in Dublin, Bellevue House, Booterstown; and it appears this house may have been left to Mary Eliza, as Edward Browne is listed with this address also.

Some time between 1855 and 1860, Edward Browne purchased a property in Rosleague, Co. Galway.  He had a son, Gillman, who was born around 1836, but I can't find a birth record for him, to pin down where he was born.  Gillman was listed on his grave as the eldest son, so I assume they had other children too, but, can't find them either!

Edward and his son Gillman were Justices of the Peace for Galway, and there are plenty of mentions in old newspapers. 

Despite this, I seem to be going round and round in circles, trying to get that one step further back.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When records dry up!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 December 14 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Not really a step back but a couple of other children for Edward Brown, from newspaper announcements.

April 15, 1868 - Morning Post (London)
At St Stephen's Church - marriage of Edward Brown Esq Lieutenant of the 83rd regiment and son of Edward Brown of Rosleague to Ellen, daughter of James Johnston of Kincardine, Perthshire and Mount Street Dublin.

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald.
At 98 Sandgate Road, Folkstone - 13th July 1902.
 Death of Lieutenant Colonel James Brown, 21st Royal Scots Fusileers and afterwards 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders, second son of the late Edward Brown of Rosaeague, Co Galway aged 64.

February 8, 1877. marriage of Gilman Brown to Charlotte Twining daughter of Fredrick Twining of Cleggan.

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 14 00:19 GMT (UK) »
oh, oh!  It's brilliant!  It's a step of some sort anyway...as it's given me more leads at least!  Thank you so very much! 

I was just checking my email before bed...am sooo tempted to stay up now!   

Thanks again!

Edited: Just found a military record for an Edward Browne of the 83rd foot regiment - when he was 17 giving place of birth as Blackrock, Dublin.  :D

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 December 14 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 December 14 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  So great to get these bits and pieces.  Much appreciated :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 December 14 03:38 GMT (UK) »
The "RootsIreland" website has the church marriage record, however, while the subscription is great value if you're wanting to view many records, it's simply exorbitant if you just want to view one. But worth noting for the future.  Be aware though, that records of this era will contain precious little information.