Author Topic: Assistant Surgeon Samuel Pain  (Read 3103 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Surgeon Samuel Pain
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 December 14 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Possible baptism of father Charles: 30 August 1826 at Saint George,Gravesend: Charles Pain son of Charles and Elizabeth

Parents marriage? :

"On Wednesday last, at Peterborough, Mr. Charles Pain, Gravesend, to Miss E. Goodyer, of the former place"
(Northampton Mercury 17 July 1824)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 December 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Interesting daughter Sarah Louisa born 1891 is adopted daughter of Jennings couple in 1901 age 9.
Living Yorkshire.
Same couple she is with in 1911.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline indowoodflower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 December 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Millipede n Shaunj, I'm new to this site didn't expect such prompt support which is amazing! I've been looking on and off for this fMily for years!!  Where can I find this info additional information I seemed to have hit a blank with Ancestry atm..Also don't know if this message will get to you, plodding away here on my iPhone away from my laptop, can't seem to get full screen access. Still got gaps because Samuel Joseph C Pain was married to my great grandmother Sarah Dewhurst Heney. Cheers people most grateful 👍😊

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 December 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
The FIBIS database is free to search and you will find lots of information there http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_person_search.php

For India births marriages and deaths, FindMyPast has the India Office images from the British Library.

I f you are subscriber. here is the link to Samuel's burial in July 1895: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=bl%2fbind%2f005137582%2f00478&parentid=bl%2fbind%2fd%2f262862&highlights=%22%22

A S (Assistant Surgeon) Courtenay Pain. Drowned through the upsetting of a boat. Per The Times of India "July 4th drowned when crossing the river Jalinga North Cachar Hills S J Courtney Pain, Medical Officer Bengal-Assam Railway third son of Major C Pain, Retired List." 

http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_detail.php?id=1024940

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 December 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Dewhurst Heney seems to have been first married in 1883 to Harrison Home in Mile End Old Town?

I can't find her marriage to Samuel Joseph Courtney Pain. 

That 1885 baptism in Liverpool is curious. Samuel's occupation is given as "Electrician"

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 December 14 09:27 GMT (UK) »
CARBO-EUCALYPTINE VOLATILE AIR-PURIFYING SANITARY TABLETS.

Supplied to the Houses of Parliament, Hospitals, Hotels, Railway Companies, Board
Schools, Shipping, &c, &c.

From S. J. COURTNEY PAIN, Medical Officer in Charge, Gailkora, Bengal, June 19, 1892 :—
" I have found the Carbo-Eucalyptine Sanitary Tablets of great value in my Cholera Camp.
Please send at once a six months' supply for our Hospital here," &c, &c, innumerable.

A Sample Dozen 3/6 (Parcel Post), Showcard, &c,

For Cash with Order, or £2 a Gross, from all Chemists' Sundrymen, or the

EUREKA MANUFACTURING COMPANY, Clapton Park, LONDON.

https://archive.org/stream/b19974760M0738/b19974760M0738_djvu.txt

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 December 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Several ads in the Leeds Times, January/February 1886:

A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY - YOUNG MEN
READ THIS - I guarantee to permanently and rapidly cure all log-standing cases of Nervous Debility, Loss of Energy, and Vital power. One lot of Medicine will suffice. Remember, mine are genuine specifics, and I defy anyone to equal them. Send a minute description of your case and P.0.0 for 25s. payable to Courtney Pain, 11, Fortesque-street, Liverpool

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 December 14 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1883 marriage of Sarah Dewhurst Heney in Mile End Old Town, the indexes show the males on that register page as William Pollard and Hamilton (not Harrison! - my mistake) Home. We can easily establish that Pollard married the other female on the page. There is nothing in the index for Samuel Pain. Do you have the marriage certificate?

Offline Tia Fergalicous Ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tait / Pain / Bertram ancestors
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 May 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hey,
I am related to Major Charles Pain who I see has already been on a thread on here. It said he sailed on the Gilmore ship from Gravesend to Bombay India to join the HEIC which sounded right but in my research I have only found that the Gilmore ship only made two trips and that was to take convicts from England to Australia? So he can't of been on that? Just would like to find out any more information about him please :) he was from Gravesend in Kent.