Author Topic: Henry Cox (b:1830 Somerset) & Amelia Fill (b:1837, St. Helier)  (Read 7606 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Cox (b:1830 Somerset) & Amelia Fill (b:1837, St. Helier)
« on: Saturday 06 December 14 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Researchers,

My wife And I are tracing her relatives COX (predominately of Somerset) and have traced Henry Tertius COX (b: 1830 Somerset (possibly Wrington)) to St. Helier, C.I. where he married an Amelia Fill (b:1837, St Helier) the date of the marriage is currently unknown to us.

At the time of the 1871 census Henry & Amelia were living at 43 Bath Street, St Helier (see RG10/ 5756) with five children: Bessie 10, John 8, Albert 6, Amelia 4 & Alberta 3 and with Henry's brother: Felix Q. Cox and also Amelia's mother: Amelia Fill (b: 1806).

In a Family Birthday Book (of that time) we have a note that Alberta (the fifth child) died 11 Nov 1879 and Bessie (the first child) died 14 November 1879.

By the time of the 1881 census Henry is shown as a Widower and had moved to Eastbourne with John (the second child).  Albert & Amelia (the third & forth children) were still living at 43 Bath Street with Felix (Quintus) Cox (Henry's younger brother) whilst no trace can be found of Amelia Fill (Henry's Mother in Law).

Knowing that the eldest & youngest daughters had died within thee days we are wondering if someone with local access can help us establish if both Henry's wife and mother-in-law died at about the same time as the two daughters.

Regards, JohnG, Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cox (b:1830 Somerset) & Amelia Fill (b:1837, St. Helier)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
According to the baptisms on the Jersey Archive site Henry and Amelia had 6 children, the additional one being Catherine born 22nd August 1860, so it looks as if she did not survive until the 1861 census.
Amelia Ducally Fill was the daughter of Francis Ducally Fill of Norfolk and Amelia Short of Guernsey, she was born in 1835.
The deaths will have to wait until the Archive re-opens next week.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 December 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your helpful reply, we have visited the Jersey Archive website and drilled down until we reached the two volumes of Baptisms covering the periods 1855-1862 & 1863-1871 and very interesting it was.  We then attempted to view:
    Burial Register with separate index
    file | G/C/03/A4/8
    1857-01-20 - 1870-05-20

Marriage Register with separate index
    file | G/C/03/A3/10
    1854-10-05 - 1859-08-25
but we were 'bounced' which explains your comment:  to wait until the Archive re-opens next week.  Might I enquire if you intend to visit the Jersey Archive on our behalf, or that we should approach them next week by email?

Regards, JohnG, Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 December 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
The only BMD records on the site at present are the post 1842 St Helier baptisms.

I will be at the Archive next week and will see what I can find.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Although I have not got exact dates it does not seem as if the deaths of the children and those of the 2 older ladies are related. These are the relevant indexes.

May 1860-Dec 1861 page 85 Catherine Cox
Apr 1872-Nov 1873 page 50 Amelia Ducally Cox (Amelia D Fill is also registered on page 50)
Nov 1873-Mar 1875 page 33 Amelia Fill (Amelia Short is also registered on page 33)
Apr 1876-Dec 1879 page 90 Alberta Cox
Apr 1876-Dec 1879 page 91 Bessie Cox

The indexes cover 100 pages so the page number gives a rough idea of when they died. In Jersey records married or widowed women are always indexed under any married names and their maiden names (when known). I should be able to look at the registers later this week or early next week.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I thank you for your continuing support and look forward with anticipation to the results of your further investigations.

Might I ask you and those others following this thread an additional question which whilst connected to the Cox's, may or may not be appropriate for this section of Rootschat?

Prior to Henry T. Cox (b:1830, Somerset) marriage to Amelia Fill, both he, his brother Felix Q. Cox (b:1834, Somerset) and their father John Cox (b: 1782±, Somerset) spent some time in St Servan (St Malo).  Their French arrival and departure dates are currently unknown to us, but we do know that all three were 'out of the country' at the time of the UK's 1851 census.

I have tried to use Ancestry's search facility to see if there were any censuses conducted in France whilst the three of them were in residence, but I think I must be doing something 'Not Quite Right' because I was offered 1M5 results, which left me somewhat confused.

Any hints on how to make progress in this direction would be appreciated.

JohnG_Swansea.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Here are the details from the death entries for your Cox family.

Catherine Cox died at Havre des Pas on October 7th 1861 aged 1 year and 1 month. Cause of death was 'Inflammation des intestines' Catherine is on the 1861 census as Katherine and is lodging with the Harris family at Havre des Pas.

Amelia Cox died at 43, Bath Street on January 4th 1873
Amelia Desselly Fill, wife of Henry Tertius Cox, aged 37. Cause of death Phthsie (TB)
The death was notified by Quintus Cox.

Amelia Fill died at 43, Bath Street on April 25th 1874
Amelia Short, widow of Captain Francis Fill, aged 68. Cause of death Phthsie
The death was notified by H. T. Cox

Alberta Cox died at 43 Bath Street on November 11th 1879 aged 11 years and 5 months. The cause of death was 'Diabete', H. T. Cox notified the death.

Bessie Cox died at 43 Bath Street on November 14th 1879 aged 20 yearas and 4 months. The cause of death was Phthsie, John Cox notified the death.

On your other question I believe that there were censuses undertaken in France but it does not appear that they have been indexed and are therefore very difficult to search. The Ille-et-vilaine BMD records are on-line but would only be of use if any event requiring civil registration occurred.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 08:43 GMT (UK) »
la grande-méthe:

I thank you most sincerely for the extremely helpful research you have carried out on our behalf.  In the event that you ever have any enquiries in the Swansea Registration District, or more particularly the Morriston [Copperopolis] or Llangyfelach suburbs please contact me and I shall do my best to help.

JohnG_Swansea

Offline JackieS_Adelaide

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello JohnG_Swansea
My great great grandparents were Henry Tertius Cox and Amelia Deselly Fill.  I have a photo of them. Their daughter Amelia Catherine Cox was my father's father's mother. I have a death notice confirming Amelia Deselly died January 4th 1873 and saying she was buried at St Saviours Jersey on Jan 8th 1873. On the back is written " I know that my redeemer liveth and that I shall see him in the last day - in loving memory of my dear mother".

Amelia Catherine (b. 10 Feb 1867, d. 31.1.1931) worked in service at Rhode Hill House Uplyme and married my great grandfather William Street who was a railway labourer. They had three boys.

I also have a death notice for Felix Quintus Cox saying he died in Bath April 13th 1883. On the back is written "aged 49 years". My father's father (Amelia and William's son) was named Albert presumable after Amelia's brother.

I own a small wooden writing box inside  of which is written "Amelia Catherine Cox from her loven Father and Mother February 10 1874." This would have been her 7th birthday but by this time her mother would have been dead so I did wonder if the box had belonged to Amelia Deselly.

I also have a page torn from a book which lists the names of the children and shows seven children as follows:
Harry Cox Born Sept 25 1855 Died Oct 15 1855 (note - the last digit is not very clear)
Bessie Cox Born July 7th 1859 Died Nov 14th 1879
Katherine Cox Born August 22nd 1860 Died Oct 9th 1861 (note: it is shown as 9th not 7th)
John Cox Born May 4th 1862
Albert Cox Born Nov 4th 1864
Amelia Cox Born Feb 10th 1867
Alberta Cox Born May 18th 1868 Died Nov 11th 1879

On the back is written
Henry Tertius Cox Sept 12th (note - no year)
John Henry Cox born son of Albert Cox
Arthur Claud Cox born son of John Cox

regards
Jackie Street