Author Topic: India, Cawnpore. Birth Joseph THOMAS around 1823  (Read 6444 times)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: India, Cawnpore. Birth Joseph THOMAS around 1823
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Have actually been putting various options forward for you to think about,as you have very little to go on.

My opinion now being that a detailed search through the British India Office records for a birth or baptism is the way forward.     Believe you are able to make contact with them by email,with queries.

As regards the St Helena record,the name Maria would be the childs mothers name,but others on here may have different thoughts, these records have been transcribed from old Indian records circa 
1820s.and there will be spelling and date variations.
Joseph Thomas death cert 1912 may have a clue of some sort on it,also are the workhouse records still in exsistence,good luck wish you well with this,Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thanks for all your suggestions Brionne. I have been in touch with the cousins who actually live in England in the hope that they might be able to do more positive research than me.

I will post whatever positive results we are able to come up with just for your info.

Regards,
Joan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Roo hawkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 August 22 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just seen this thead. I have been looking at my thomas family tree. My family came from hugglescote Leicestershire. I have just found that Joseph thomas is my great great grandad. Has anyone found anything out. The India part is interesting.