Author Topic: Bounty passengers liverpool-port phillip  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bounty passengers liverpool-port phillip
« on: Sunday 03 July 05 06:48 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to think laterally or outside the square, so here goes nothing.
I have a Daniel Kelly whom I think travelled with a brother/cousin? (Thomas Kelly) to Australia in 1841 on board the ship 'England'.   All the passengers were listed as 'bounty passengers' - this means the captain was paid per head on arrival at his destination for each healthy able bodied passenger he delivered.   I next have a mention of him when he marries in 1849, but there was no mention of age, parents, birthplace etc.  Nothing useful other than the names of the bride and groom, witnesses, place of marriage, the ministers name and date of the event.   So I am guessing that I have the same man,  on elimination all other Daniel Kelly's for this time I have been left with this one.   My question is this, does anyone know if there was additional information kept in either Liverpool or elsewhere re personnel details relating to the recruitment of these 'bounty passengers' and possibly family information?
I think Daniel Kelly was b c1812 in Derry Nth Ireland. and sailed from Liverpool just before the 1841 census and arrived after the same in Australia.  (not very helpful)
Abygail ???
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty passengers liverpool-port phillip
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 05 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail

Have you traced him further in Australia after his marriage. Children's birth certificates and/or his death certificate may have more information. In which state did he live?

Then again, I have had no joy with my Irish immigrants, despite death certificates giving place of birth and parent names.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 05 11:03 BST (UK) »
There were children born, but to the best of knowledge none were registered.   The first child registered by the mother was in 1859 after she took up with another 'gentleman' followed by another 8, but the first 3 weren't registered. and I haven't found Daniel dead anywhere either.   Records weren't compulsery until 1853.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
I am still unsure what state you are speaking of re the 1853. I am in Qld and there are very few records pre separation (1861) but a few church records have survived which are often in NSW and/or Qld indexes. In Tasmania, however, where one of my family branches lived, I have records from 1808 with very few missing (thanks due I would assume to Rev Knopwood). In NSW my records seem somewhat hit and miss until about 1859.

Trish

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 05 01:17 BST (UK) »
I think bureaucracy had a better idea on how to do things when Victoria started, plus the increase in immigration  people needed to be accounted for.   not to mention the taxes that could be raised.   Nothing has changed has it?  Your right about Tas, Qld and NSW records, you need a lot of luck with them.   SA is fairly good too.
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline terence raw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 03:57 BST (UK) »
have you tried the uni in NSW   they have quite a few records there one of my ancestors came out on the bounty  with cook
 you will find that many of them had aliases  as did my ancestor

he was 22  stole a horse  worth 10 pound got life here or hang in duram  but no records after he landed  more than likley got some  wog and passed away as did a lot of them 

hope this helps   ;)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 04:27 BST (UK) »
Which uni Terence? Sydney University or University of NSW?

thanks

Trish

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Terence,   thanks for the suggestion, it will be filed away for a future problem.   Unfortunately, my Daniel Kelly (b app 1812) didn't arrive on the Bounty, he arrived as a bounty passenger on the ship England into Port Phillip in June 1841.
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline terence raw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 13:15 BST (UK) »
I think it was the uni of NSW  they have a web site  you can also try this site for leads  http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/convicts/  you may find somthing pertaining to your search good luck
friend   if i get any more info i will be in touch  i live in Queensland  now  im from Morley nr Leeds   one of the RAW's   of north Alerton   yorks   cheers  terry  ;D