Author Topic: Corr Family -Cookstown area Tyrone.  (Read 5749 times)

Offline shipbroker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corr Family -Cookstown area Tyrone.
« on: Monday 08 December 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Researching the ancestry of my wife, we have a good cover of family who came from above area to North East England in late 1880's onwards....however, we have ground to a halt on historic members in villages around Cookstown. The oldest name we have been given, by a third party who has an associated family tree, is that of an Edward Corr 1788-1859 and probably wife Catherine 1794-1865. There are dozens, then and now, of similar Corr names, usual Patrick's, Johns, Mary and Catherine's et al.

Have had many goes via Ancestry, Family Search,Find my Past and the free Irish sites but having little success.........anyone with a different direction on my problem?

rgds
geoff
Fletcher Family (Suffolk & North East UK).
Baxter Family (Yorkshire & Teesside).
Horsley Family (North East England)
Corr Family (Co.Tyrone & North East England)
Mcbeth Family,(Strabane area & Teesside)
Power Family, (North East England)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corr Family -Cookstown area Tyrone.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 14 21:23 GMT (UK) »
No Catherine Corr deaths registered in the Cookstown registration area in 1865. Nearest that fits your information died 28.12.1867 aged 76. You can view that death cert on-line on the GRONI site for £2 using the search deaths option.

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk
Elwyn

Offline shipbroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks...I know that Irish dates are,at times, confusing...have had some that were 6 years out. Will check this one as she was a relative of the family who passed the information over and the dates we have for her children are confirmed ones.....anything that will get me even one generation before is going to help.....I can then start on the McBeths!

Thanks

Geoff

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
If she looks to be your family, post details of the townland where she was living, together with any other info e.g. the informant's details (if likely to be a relative) and I'll see if we can find anything more from that.

Desertcreaght RC parish records go back to about 1811, so you may be able to get some information from them idc.
Elwyn

Offline shipbroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look through all the physical records and continue to have problems on who,what,where!
We did have some retrospective information on a Catherine Corr (not the same one as before) who is resident in Chapel Street, Cookstown,Clonoe Parish, Ballygirtle Townland...Dungannon Middle Barony in 1851 as the child of Edward & Mary (nee Devlin),also on 1841 Census..BUT whilst the person who supplied the link 'believes' the family connection there isn't any other evidence....Ardboe has also crossed up in conversation but no evidence either..

One problem we do know is that two whole Corr families,probably three, came from Ireland between 1860-1880 and settled initially in the North Durham/ Tyneside area and then,possibly in parts, moved to Teesside... grandchildren of two of the families were asked how they were related ..."Our Dad's were cousins...and we come from Tyrone...no idea where."  Understand this is not unusual in Irish history...

Not much to go I know....probably end up with a visit to Ireland.

geoff

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation for 1860 lists 3 farms in Ballygittle occupied by Corr families. Plot 2 was tenanted by James Corr. Plot 3 by Denis Corr who had sublet 2 houses to a Terence Corr and Mary Corr respectively. Plot 9a was Henry Corr jointly farming with Arthur Corr on 9b.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

You can follow through and see changes in the occupants on the revaluation records (which run through to 1929):

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm

In 1901 there were 2 Corr farms there:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Mountjoy/Ballyittle/1736887/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Mountjoy/Ballyittle/1736888/

and in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Mountjoy/Ballygittle/865810/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Mountjoy/Ballygittle/865812/

One probate abstract from the PRONI wills site:

Probate of the Will of Michael Corr late of Ballygittle, Co. Tyrone, Farmer, who died 23 April 1920 granted at Armagh 18 June 1921 to Charles Logan, Merchant and J.P. And Robert Turtle, Farmer. Effects £156 5s 0d.

The will itself is not on-line. It should be in PRONI in paper format.

If you think this family might be your Corr family (and all the Corrs in the townland are probably connected), you would need to piece the relationships together by getting the relevant birth and marriage certs to see who the parents were, together with the parish records for events pre 1864.

Statutory births, deaths & marriages in Ballygittle would be registered in Dungannon. They are on-line on the GRONI site.

Ballygittle is in the RC parish of Clonoe. Their baptisms start in 1810 and marriages 1806 (gaps in both). There’s a copy in PRONI, Belfast. They are also on-line on the rootsireland site (subscription).
Elwyn

Offline shipbroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant.....nice to have an expert view. Will give me something to do these cold Winter evenings...I had found Henry & Arthur but not the others...so again my thanks.

Will report,much later, if successful!

geoff

Offline shipbroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Four years on and at least three other members of my wife's family searching....we have not got any further apart from a possible father of Edward,perhaps James of 1768.....think we are going to have to go and camp in Cookstown for a week or more!

geoff

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
With so many records online you'd imagine someone would have found something in last 4 years, but with everything records just go so far back and we all end up at the "end of the line!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.