Author Topic: My German Block  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My German Block
« on: Wednesday 10 December 14 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Long shot and I don't have much information but does anyone here have a german
Relative who came to Melbourne Australia (was a miner at Ballarat vic)

B circa 1840 Carl/Karl Frederick Patterson  said b Hamburg Germany.
To Melbourne Australia via London arrived 1859 mail steamer the Mauritius
M English born Emma Ward daughter of Edward Mormon Ward and Charlotte
Pitt.
D Sebastspol (near Ballarat vic Australia) 1898 miners disease b Ballarat new cemetery.
Lived Albert Street Sebastapol.

Carl/Karl Frederick known as Charles Frederick Patterson.

Family lore states family from Lubeck Schleswig Holstein
Australian marriage certificate says Emma and Charles born Christian Bible Christian Church Ballarat.
Australian marriage certificate says parents of Charles are Mary Canute (I know this can be Danish or English but family says henry is German and know family spoke it. Henry supposed to be a farmer.

Here's my problem..Naturilisation papers no help just states what Charles was known as here.No birth year or date. Just says born Hamburg (Search in their records yeilded no results).,
Henry & Mary obviously anglisicised.

Charles didn't like Catholics.

Have no other information or pics have no idea who he was
,family is/was outside Australia

Some connection Also to aussie cyclist sid Patterson but don't know where or how??? As they're English I believe.

Think our german family (someone) german military links. Don't know where or who.

I know somebody has the answer one only followed my hubby around for years we just want to know our roots so damn frustrating everywhere I've turned every thing I've tried or followed dead end. No
Money for researcher DNA ..going bonkers!.

Heritage trees my missed patterson/Petersen (guessing) site
And Overton and connections feel free to look...
Ancestry-hoverton72.

Feel free to look at my trees/sites.

England ,wardrobe,buzza /Buzzo >Penzance ,St Hilary,Cornwall.
Richards,Roberts,Parrish,Paris,Norton,knight,. Whear,Sparnon,squires, Fenwick ,

Scotland-hardy,McRae,Morris,walker,burnside.>Glasgow to Australia.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Germany>Ballarat vic >? To Patterson>miner.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My German Block
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 14 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Do you have this?
CARL FREDERICK PETERSEN
Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960
Collections from Australasia, Great Britain, Ireland, United States
Country AUSTRALIA
State  New South Wales
Ship Name OPHIR
Birth Year 1882
Age 16
Ship Departure Port LONDON
Destination Port SYDNEY

Departure Year 1898

Weird he arrived the same year as your man died?

I can't seem to find a mail steamer called the Mauritius that called anywhere is Australia, would be interesting if anyone else can find the passenger list .....
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 December 14 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

No thats not him.. as he was here and marrying by 1867. but yes it is weird. Coincidence!.

Our Charles/Karl/Carl married his wife in Ballarat in 1867 at the Skipton St Bible Christian Church.
He stated on his naturilisation papers that he arrived here in Australia July 1859  he said he came aboard the mail steamer,the Mauritius,which I looked at Passenger lists for but
there were only three people listed on it and he wasn't on of them..

He travelled on what I believe to be the Mauritius Mail Steamer as any other ship bearing the same name was centuries too early.

He  said he travelled from Hamburg via London port to Melbourne Australia port.

He lived in Albert St Sebastapol he died Sebastapol February 1898 from Miners Disease and is buried at the New Ballarat Cemetery..his wife immigrated from Isle of Wight in 1862.

He claimed on his marriage certifcate that he and his wife were both 27 (in 1867) when they married so that puts his birth year at circa 1840, but I don't have a "Exact" date of birth for him.

He also stated that he was born in Hamburg, but a researcher i had in Germany couldn't find anything at all..especially with the parents listed on his Australian Marriage Certificate.Parents Given as Mary Canute and Henry Patterson which I believe have been Anglicised..Emmas family were protestants I dont know Charles religion but that he hated Catholics.There is also a German military
Connection but don't know who,when or where.

I know someone either in Germany itself or someone who lives here thats related and can speak German knows more about us than us of them because a lookalike has been  following my hubby around for years and not making themselves known..very frustrating.

I have his naturilisation which is very basic name,place of birth,year of birth,australianised name,how long he'd been in the Victorian Colony,and ship name,how he got here,year he got here,port. Will leaves everything to wife and children.Marriage lists parents names as listed above and gives Charles dads (Henrys) occupation as a Farmer.

Familylore-says family originated from Lubeck Schleswwig Holstein and that Henry was a farmer.

Cant find anything that matched up outside Australia.

This is all I know of him. I do know some related surnames but nothing thats yeilded any further results as to who he is etc..

A cousin of my husband says Sid Phillip Patterson was a 2nd cousin but have no idea how as hes family is English..I believe

ours is European but apparantly he's supposed to be connected somewhere???????????. But have no idea how or where he fits in.

Some names in the family are Richards, Roberts, Richardson, chappell, Williams, Kendall, Hart, Harris, Oldenhof, Bolinger, Holmes, White, Hart, Tressider, Collins, Ash, Mellor irving, Halton, Hopkins, Schmidt, WEir-Schmidt, Anderson, Stanborough, dunn, Allen ... Just to name some Many are distant though.

Overton72

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 December 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Re those Naturalisation papers. 

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs68.aspx

Was this in the then colony of Victoria? 

How is his surname recorded on those papers? 

What year did he seek to become a British Subject?

What information did he provide on his application?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 December 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I can't seem to find a mail steamer called the Mauritius that called anywhere is Australia, would be interesting if anyone else can find the passenger list .....

The ship, Mauritius arrived in the colony of Victoria in August 1858 as per online free to search Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923 with a James BUTE and Capt J REGNIER onboard  :)  http://prov.vic.gov.au/research/ships-and-shipping 

RootsChat's Resources Board for Australia : 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 14 10:29 GMT (UK) »
A cousin of my husband says Sid Phillip Patterson was a 2nd cousin but have no idea how as hes family is English..I believe ours is European but apparantly he's supposed to be connected somewhere???????????. But have no idea how or where he fits in.

Half Mile Second Class Scratch bicycle Race First prize, trophy, value £10
C F Patterson, Fernside CC
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7939269 The Argus Vic  21 Nov 1887. 

Free to search digitised newspapers http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

http://brightoncemetery.com/HistoricInterments/150Names/pattersons.htm
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Patterson

Cheers,  JM

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 December 14 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes I could only find the 1858 listing for the Mauritius too doesn't seem to be much about its travels
Only mainly ownership etc.

Yes it was Victoria the states had separated from nsw by that stage...sure you know what I mean.

Nat papers say very little ...I wonder if perhaps the one I've got is the original as it was done weeks before his death he stated that at the time (1898) he'd been in the colony of Victoria 38yrs. But he had stated july 1859 arrival.
Just says born Hamburg no dob .no state or town.Says left Hamburg via London.lived albert st Sebastspol.Miner.

He would've made him about 20-21 when he came here. Got what I vould find her in Australia but yet no further clues :-/. 

Thankyou.

Think he may of come over because of the Gold.

I don't know when he applied to become a British subject?.

Naturilisation says Patterson but it's my belief that this is not the family's original name.

Thanks Overton72.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 December 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »

Our Charles/Karl/Carl married his wife in Ballarat in 1867 at the Skipton St Bible Christian Church........

He claimed on his marriage certifcate that he and his wife were both 27 (in 1867) when they married so that puts his birth year at circa 1840, but I don't have a "Exact" date of birth for him.
..... stated that he was born in Hamburg..... Parents Given as Mary Canute and Henry Patterson

May I please be a tad pedantic and gently mention that the information on the Victorian marriage cert was recorded by the officiating minister or his clerk, and not by the parties being married.   Victoria's BDM certificates are among the most informative in the world, but they are not written up by the bridegroom  :) .  Both the bride and the groom provide information about themselves and their parentage to the clergy.     http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

At an online index that Charles PATTERSON married Jane MCPEERSON in 1867.   (Vic BDM #1803)

RED POST ...... Naturalisation was applying to become a British Subject.  There was no such thing as Australian Citizenship until 1949.    You note that the Naturalisation papers say very little.   Can you type up exactly what they do say, or provide a link please.  If naturalised in Victoria I would expect the papers to be digitised and available for general public to view at the National Archives of Australia's website.   :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 December 14 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Found the Naturalisation papers online at the National Archives of Australia website

Application lodged February 1898 gives:

Charles Patterson, aged 58 years, born  Hamburg, Germany, a miner.   

21st June 1859 arrived in the Colony of Victoria by the ship Mauritus, from the Port of London, England.   

Ever since arrival, being a period of 38 years, has been a resident in Victoria.    Signed Charles Patterson,  8th February 1898.
Oath of Allegiance 14 February 1898

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx 

Nat papers say very little ...I wonder if perhaps the one I've got is the original as it was done weeks before his death he stated that at the time (1898) he'd been in the colony of Victoria 38yrs. But he had stated july 1859 arrival.
Just says born Hamburg no dob .no state or town.Says left Hamburg via London.lived albert st Sebastspol.Miner. 

ADD,  I would not be too concerned about someone being one year out in the year of arrival, or being confused over name of ship of arrival, afterall, when he was providing that information he had been in Victoria for 38 years and likely this was the first time he had been asked to provide that info, so he was relying on memory ....  :) .   

Cheers,  JM