Author Topic: Leverington - Robert Tansley and Sarah Bell Marriage 1774  (Read 3323 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Leverington - Robert Tansley and Sarah Bell Marriage 1774
« on: Wednesday 10 December 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the Leverington marriage register please and could possibly check a marriage which appears on an ancestry tree?

Robert Tansley and Sarah Bell
11 April 1774

The tree lists witnesses but no other details and I'm wondering if it says anything about marital status or place of abode, although I appreciate it may say neither.

I'm looking for a marriage of a Robert and Sarah Tansley who had children in neighbouring Newton in the Isle from 1775 and this seems a likely marriage because there doesn't appear to be any children to them in Leverington.  However, the aforementioned tree states that Sarah was born 1747 in Leverington, but the burial in Newton in the Isle for Sarah Tansley lists her as born in 1752.

Any help appreciated, I'm trying to help a friend of mine with her research.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leverington - Robert Tansley and Sarah Bell Marriage 1774
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smudwhisk,

The only extra details for the marriage in the register are that Robert was a bac and Sarah a sp plus they were both otp and both made their marks.

There is a baptism at Leverington on 26 May 1747 of a Sarah Bell daughter of Thomas and Sarah.
On 12 August 1744 a Valentine Bell was baptised also son of Thomas and Sarah and he was one of the witnesses at the marriage in 1774.

Regards,
Selina 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Selina. 

There is also a baptism in Newton in the Isle of a Sarah Bell to a Thomas and Sarah in 1752 and I think, from memory, a Valentine Bell appears in there too later on.  I wonder if Thomas and Sarah Bell were parish hopping, but I suppose it'll depend on whether there is a burial for the first Sarah in Leverington or Newton before 1752, haven't checked the latter yet.  The burial for Sarah Tansley does suggest a 1752 birth not 1747. :-\

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a burial for Sarah Bell at Leverington that fits the one baptised in 1747 neither can I see another marriage in the Cambs Marriage Index for a Robert Tansley around the right time.

Hope you sort it out,
Selina

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 December 14 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Selina, I suspect it has to be the correct marriage but I need to check to see if there is a burial for the 1747 Sarah Bell in Newton.  As I said, Sarah Tansley's age on the burial doesn't tie in with this one but the 1752 one in Newton itself.  I think my friend will have to get her CC out and purchase the transcript, I did say it was only the cost of two GRO certificates. ;)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
On the Cambs FHS site supersearch http://www.cfhs.org.uk/ there is a Sarah Bell listed for 1751 and looking at the Cambs Burial Index this is a burial of Sarah at Newton in the Isle in 1751.

Unfortunately the index doesn't give any more details, sometimes an age is noted, so whether this was a child or adult I don't know.

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 December 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
paulloseby.

I saw that there was a message from you on  this thread but I can't now see it, I was not able to get on for some days, can you re-post?

Selina

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 December 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
paulloseby.

I saw that there was a message from you on  this thread but I can't now see it, I was not able to get on for some days, can you re-post?

Selina

The moderators moved it to its own thread so as not to cause confusion, as it wasn't related to my post - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=707917.0.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nicola, thought I was imagining things for a while there!

Merry Christmas,
Selina