Author Topic: Elisha HOWELLS and Margaret EDWARDS of Eaton-Under-Heywood  (Read 2615 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elisha HOWELLS and Margaret EDWARDS of Eaton-Under-Heywood
« on: Thursday 11 December 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm looking for whatever information I can find regarding my 3xgreat grandparents, Elisha Howells and Mary Edwards.

According to census data, Elisha was born in Eaton-under-Heywood (usually given simply as 'Eaton, Salop'). His birth dates are all over the place, but I believe he was born somewhere in the range of 1795-1806. He was married to Margaret Edwards in Acton Scott on the 12th of June 1829, witnesses an Elizabeth Howells and Richard Bennett.

Margaret is listed as also being born in Eaton in every census except 1881, where her birthplace is listed as 'Glazely'. I believe she was the daughter of William and Margaret Edwards, and that she was baptised in Eaton in 1812. Elisha and Margaret moved around a lot, as evidenced by the birthplaces of their many children: Acton Scott, Chetton, Neenton and Stottesdon.

It appears as if the family finally settled in Stottesdon, as the family are there from the 1851 census onwards. Elisha and Margaret also had the bulk of their children there, including my great-great grandmother, Martha.

What I've been unable to find is a birth record for Elisha. There are a lot of Elisha Howells born in Eaton-under-Heywood (it seems a very common name in the area), but none in the right date-range. Further complicating matters, it seems like there are many variants of the surname (I have seen the variants: 'Holes', 'Howles', 'Howels', 'Howells', and even in one case 'Harvelle').

If anyone can shed any light on the situation I'd be most grateful. :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elisha HOWELLS and Margaret EDWARDS of Eaton-Under-Heywood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 14 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon
It's just a theory ,but can I give you an idea  of my thoughts on Elisha.
Let's take his death at Cleobury Mortimer Dec 1881 age 87 on the GRO.
This would give a birth date 1794.
Lets suppose that instead of Eaton under Heywood Shropshire ,Eaton instead means Eaton Constantine near Much Wenlock.
Then we have Elisha Howells baptised 9.3.1794 s of Elisha and Anne Howells.
Other children John 11.3.1792 and Thomas 19.8.1798 and Mary Anne 14.11.1802 at Benthall.
Marriage for the couple at Culimgton Elisha Howells and Ann Beddoes .

Possible baptism for Elisha Howell 1.9.1762 at Diddlesbury to Isaac and Sarah Howel
Other children Richard 12.1.1745/6,Elizabeth 20.3.1747/8,Thomas 10.11.1750,John and Edward 21.3.1753,Isaac 14.9.1755,Francis 24..2.1758,William 7.9.1760,Sarah 21.4.1765,Jeremiah 1.11.1767 and Martha 21.2.1773.

Like you say it does seem strange that Margaret's age changes as well.In 1871 she seems to be age 65 born Stanton Lacy nurse working in Stottesdon,1881 1806  Glazeley and then on her death 1805  at Bridgenorth Dec 1893.
They are real tough nuts to crack.
Anyway see what you think

ciderdrinker

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 December 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hey CD,

Thanks for the info! My lack of Shropshire geography is showing, I didn't know there was another Eaton in Shropshire. I had assumed that Eaton-Under-Heywood was his place of birth as it's so close to Acton Scott where Margaret was apparently from and where they were married.

It's interesting that this Elisha Howells that you've found (the elder, husband of Anne) was baptised in Diddlebury and married in Culmington, fairly near Eaton-under-Heywood and Acton Scott - yet quite a way away from Eaton Constantine and Benthall. On the other hand, the Elisha in my family tree travelled quite a lot with Margaret, so I guess it could still be a connection. I wonder how you'd go about confirming it?

In terms of Margaret, I believe her mother died a mere two years after she was born, in 1814, so it's possible that she wasn't clear herself on where/when she was born. It is strange that there a multiple birth-places given - when people are mistaken about their birthplace, they usually have one wrong idea and stick with that.

Well I thought this was a puzzling part of my tree - but it looks like it's potentially even more confusing than I thought!

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 December 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
So I took another look at the parish marriage record of Elisha and Margaret to see if there were any clues. It simply refers to Elisha as being 'of the parish of Eaton' and doesn't specify to which it refers.

There's an Elisha Howells born to a Thomas and Mary Howells in Munslow in 1788. The location is pretty close to Eaton-under-Heywood, but I think it's too old to be my ancestor.