Author Topic: Ponteland square  (Read 3695 times)

Offline caroclay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ponteland square
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 December 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The certificate is for my great grandparents Thomas and Katie Devlin and is clearly written as Ponteland square but i know with dialect it can be wrong on certificates but the area fits in with everything else
CLAYTON (LANARKSHIRE (craignuek)& ENGLAND)
DEVLIN (LANARKSHIRE(newmain & craignuek) & IRELAND)
McANAW (craignuek, muirkirk LANARKSHIRE)
McALEER (LANARKSHIRE & IRELAND)
MARSHALL (DUMFRIES)
KEENAN (IRELAND)
MCGINNIS
HUGHES
PROUDFOOT
DUNBAR
McGEECHAN (craignuek & carfin)
KILTIE
TROTTER
KEEGAN
ADAMS

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Carolclay
use the search here on Rootschat, for Beehive brae, and you will find a great  post by Mcghee67,with a nice pic, of the houses at the top of the Beehive brae,

Cheers

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I asked a friend of mine who is Craigneuk born & bred. She says her grandparents lived in Portland (or Ponteland) Square but, it was before she was born. (she is now aged 80) She thinks it may have been around the area of Carfin Road, so that would make it after the top of the Beehive Brae. I've checked the old maps but couldn't find it on any of them.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline caroclay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, my dad was born in the miners rows at Carfin Rd and they never lived far from his granparents so that would make sense, looking at the previous post i was kind of thinking it may have been possibly were the flats used to sit at top of beehive brae
MARSHALL (DUMFRIES)
KEENAN (IRELAND)
MCGINNIS
HUGHES
PROUDFOOT
DUNBAR
KILTIE
TROTTER
KEEGAN
ADAMS

Offline imac64geech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Carol interested in the fact you have McGeechan on your profile page and what inf p.o. you may be looking for.
Ian mcGeechan

Offline caroclay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Carol interested in the fact you have McGeechan on your profile page and what inf p.o. you may be looking for.
Ian mcGeechan
Hi Ian, my great grandmother was Jeanie mcGeechan her father Philip McGeechan from the holytown/Carfin areas would need to get my folder out to check what info I have on them think I went a few gens back with them
Carolyn
MARSHALL (DUMFRIES)
KEENAN (IRELAND)
MCGINNIS
HUGHES
PROUDFOOT
DUNBAR
KILTIE
TROTTER
KEEGAN
ADAMS

Offline imac64geech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,
Nice to hear from you,had just set up my account yesterday and took me a little time set up my profile and so pleased you received my message.Generally pretty poor with social media,I can't even find how to put up a photo of myself,although you seemed to have managed.
Obvs the McGeechan name seems fairly prolific in Lanarkshire,our family moved to Ayrshire from Wishaw/Cleland/Craignuek way back in the 1920s.
My Grandfather John McGeechan and His brother Thomas had a half sister Jeanie who would maybe have been born circa1888,her mother died when she was around 8 or so and her father (my Great Grandfather) Patrick was killed in a mining accident in the Wishaw area in 1896. He went on to marry again Catherine Kelly or Kane,unsure of any Philip but then I haven't discovered much about Patrick yet other than being born in Ireland like so many others.
I also have an aunt Jeanie (Jean) named after her who lives near me here in Alloway.
I have some info on my McGeechan Family tree on Ancestry but as yet I haven't opened a full account as yet but will soon,I find it all quite addictive,despite not having an addictive personality.The strange thing about the Jeanie  in my family line is my aunty doesn't even know what happened to her,whether she was taken in by other family members or passed away,we are unsure.
Ian.. :)