Author Topic: Michael DWYER and his sister?, Tasmania, 1828?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Michael DWYER and his sister?, Tasmania, 1828?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 18 04:41 GMT (UK) »

I know nothing at all about his parents (just their names as given on the death certificate) or other siblings.  There has never been any suggestion that any others of his immediate family emigrated.

I've often wondered if this fellow is a younger brother - has the same parent names and come from Tipperary.

DEATH CERTIFICATE
1882 Deaths in the District of Rushworth in the Colony of Victoria
No: 297 (BDM # 3201)
Died 3rd January 1882, Moora, Shire of Waranga, County of Rodney
PATRICK DWYER, Farmer
Male, 63 years

Cause of Death, Duration: Chronic Diseases of the heart and liver, Three years
Medical attendant, last saw deceased: J C Heily, Surgeon, Rushworth; November 1881
PARENTS: JOHN DWYER, Farmer, MARY Dwyer, formerly RYAN
INFORMANT: MATTHEW DWYER, Son, Moora
Registrar, Henry Hicks, registered 3rd January 1882, Rushworth
Buried: 5th January 1882, Rushworth cemetery
Undertaker: Merchant Coy; Witnesses: Matthew Dwyer, Patrick Linnott?
Born Tipperary Ireland, 35 years in Victoria
Married in Melbourne, aged 25 years, to Ann Lynch.
Issue: Matthew dead; John dead; Mary Ann 32, James 31, John 29, Matthew 27, David 25

:)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 18 06:48 GMT (UK) »
You could well be right so I've started a new thread to see if anyone can shed any light on this Patrick.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804793.new#new

I've had a cursory look for Patrick and his family but there's not much visible.  He's certainly living in the same area as Michael and has the same parent names.  Trove doesn't seem to have any mention of his death.

The only Victorian BMD entry.other than the death which you quoted, I could find (quickly!) was a birth for the son.

Victoria 1848 #41933
DWYER, Matthew
Parents: Patrick DWYER Patrick, Anne (Lynche)

I am not seeing any other registrations, cannot even be sure of the death reg's for the children, or for Ann; no marriage registration which is a shame. Victorian BMD index doesn't show the place of registration which could help!

His will leaves all to Ann for her lifetime and then to go to the three sons, with no mention of Mary Ann.

There are some DWYER burials at Rushworth, but frustratingly the dates don't seem to be included although the ones in the same grave are obviously this family, and possibly John is their son
DWYER   John   Roman Catholic   Section 1   Grave 177
DWYER   Ann   Roman Catholic   Section 1   Grave 347
DWYER   Patrick   Roman Catholic   Section 1   Grave 347
DWYER   James   Roman Catholic   Section 1   Grave 347
DWYER   Simon   Anglican   Section 11   Grave 159
DWYER   Alfred John   Presbyterian   Section 2   Grave 64
DWYER   Janat   Presbyterian   Section 2   Grave 66

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 December 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)
Do you have records for where and when Micheal's children where born?  I wonder if they might have been born in Tasmania? 
Maybe (if kids where born in Tas) the family went from Tas to Victoria rather than back to Ireland and then back to Australia again. 
Have you tried Trove for him leaving Tasmania?  Might be worth checking around 1841...
Hope this is a help and not a nuisance  :)
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 December 18 06:42 GMT (UK) »

Michael Dwyer, water carrier, assault case in 1848.  Says he's elderly and of Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22Michael+Dwyer%22&l-decade=184&l-state=Victoria&l-year=1848
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 December 18 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Marlene (your Granny looks very like my Nan)

I do have the records for Michael's older children born in Tipperary, also his marriage in Tipperary so, if this family folk-lore regarding the visit to Tasmania is correct, he must have returned to Ireland.

Many thanks for the TROVE piece about the assault, which I hadn't seen before. As his occupation in 1856 was 'carter' and he owned property in Lonsdale St. it would seem to be the right person.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 December 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome  :)

I found the Lysander shipping record on Ancestry.  Have you got it?  Names and ages of Michael and family and all from Tipperary.

Looked but couldn't find anything in Tasmania on Michael.

Cheers,
Marlene

PS my 3 x great grandmother came out on the Lysander in 1841 too.  17 years old from Ireland and by herself  .
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that also - yes, I've seen the Lysander list.  I have such admiration for these emigrants coming so far and to an unknown land.  Melbourne was only 6 years old at the time so it must have been pretty primitive.

Do you know if the Lysander called at Ireland.  The only information I've been able to find shows it left from Plymouth.  I would have thought the Irish would have already quite a journey to get across to England.  My family had two little children as well.

Judith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Have just been looking at the Lysander list again.  Appears that the entire lot were bounty immigrants "through the agency of Mr John Marshall of London by Messrs Nicholas James & Co".

My Alice Maguire was only one of many unmarried Irish girls on the ship (at least 60 from a quick scan of the list) being sent out as 'house servant'.  There were also a lot of Irish family groups like yours.

I'm guessing that the recruiter went to Ireland and signed up the people there.  Afterwards (again guessing) a ship/ferry would've been used to send them all to Plymouth and board the Lysander.
Of course there's a good chance I could be totally wrong of  :-\

I wonder if researching the people who organised the bounty immigrants could answer some questions?

Cheers, Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)