Author Topic: Irish Law Times  (Read 1513 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Law Times
« on: Saturday 13 December 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Google Books have the above series of journals online.  For 1868 I found a reference to Thomas Cosgrove of Grennan, Tyrone, previously of Knockaravin and formerly of Drumardnagrosss as insolvent with petition filed 09 Dec 1868.  The hearing was scheduled for 05 Jan 1869 in Omagh and the journal for 1869 shows it was discharged.  This is the last reference I can find for this relative.  His wife, Dorothy, dies in 1890 (Garvagh) registered at Omagh with a nephew as the informant.  Thomas died sometime between 1869 and 1890 and since he also used the surname variant McCusker I have a few choices around the this area and find it difficult to narrow it down.  He was, according to his stated age at marriage, born around 1822.

The Irish Law Times has sections of BMDs.  Don't know if this is worthwhile browsing all the journals.  Does anyone know how you qualified to get your death noted in this journal?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Law Times
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you thoroughly checked the online civil registration index to see if there are any possible deaths to investigate?

What about the Valuation Revision Books on PRONI's site- you could search under the townland to see if anything is noted.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Law Times
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
What about the Valuation Revision Books on PRONI's site- you could search under the townland to see if anything is noted.

Revised Valuation books on PRONI showed Thomas McCusker in Drumardnagross associated with 3 plots of land in 1860 and
and by 1867 he has been crossed out of the books.
An excerpt from the Irish Law Times of Dec 12 1868 shows
Thomas Cosgrove of Grennan, Tyrone previously of Knockaravin, Tyrone car driver, formerly of Drumardnagross, farmer
Petition filed 9 Dec 1868
Hearing at Omagh 05 Jan 1869
Declaring insolvency.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!