Author Topic: Amusing use of English language (Lode Cambs Baptist congregation)  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing use of English language (Lode Cambs Baptist congregation)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
The Husseys were in the 15th century an aristocratic English family. They had a castle near to Boston Grammar school now known as Hussey Tower, which is preserved but ruined. The Coopers were originally barrel makers I believe. Two that I like are "gleg" which means look or peep, and "mardy" a term which only seems to be used in the vicinity of Boston, and seems to mean someone who is unpleasant to their peers as in "mardy cow" etc. etc. Usually used as a term of abuse along with another similar term.
Hussey as a surname comes from a different source though :)
Isn't language wonderful?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Interested in source of Hussey as a surname,
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
According to SurnameDB, it has a few different possible origins: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Hussey Not sure how accurate that is though.
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 December 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
According to SurnameDB, it has a few different possible origins: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Hussey Not sure how accurate that is though.

A very heavy caveat!! With my own surname it shows a first use of the current spelling as late 18th century to 1800! Yet, I have found several instances of my surname in Dorset Somerset and Wiltshire dating as far back as 1562! Even earlier ionformation regarding its origins seems to be accurate though.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 January 15 11:24 GMT (UK) »
On the subject of insulting terms and terms of abuse, I remember in the 1990s, when I was actively involved in the living history scene, there was great excitement about the publication of a book called "Shakespeare's Insults" in which all of the insults hurled about by characters in his various plays were gathered together in one easily-consulted collection. Other re-enactors thought this was wonderful, as they now had an easily consulted collection of "authentic 16th/17th century insults" which they could use ... but I wasn't convinced. I thought that this was no more accurate a reflection of late Tudor / early Stuart everyday speech, than Coronation Street or East Enders was an accurate reflection of late 20th century everyday behaviours. In both cases they had been exaggerated (often grotesquely so) for dramatic effect.

I therefore set about researching an article on the REAL insulting words of Tudor England ... using the records of the Ecclesiastical Courts, and their actions for opporobrious words. The reports were in Latin, of course; but in every such case the words complained of are translated into Latin, followed by "Anglice" (i.e. "in English") and then the exact English words which had been used (or were said to be used).

I focused my research mostly upon the reports of the Norwich Consistory Court because (a) the Norfolk Record Society wrote them all up in about 1903 and published them - albeit without any translations - so they were easily accessible; and (b) my main target was the re-enactors of Kentwell Hall in Suffolk, so Norwich was the neighbouring diocese. The point about the words found in these reports was that (1) they were words which were ACTUALLY spoken (or alleged to have been spoken) in East Anglia in the Tudor period; and (2) they were considered sufficiently insulting as to land the speaker (or alleged speaker) in an ecclesiastical court to answer a complaint that he had said them. They therefore demonstrated at one and the same time both the socially accepted limit beyond which people at the time ought not to stray, and the fact that people DID regularly stray beyond it, but maybe not too far.

I never finished my research and wrote up my conclusions, unfortunately, but I do remember a couple of salient points. The most striking was that perhaps half of all such cases arose out of somebody calling a woman a "whore" or some variant thereof.

My favourite report, though, was one which concerned a fishwife in Norwich market in about 1560, getting into a heated argument with a fellow market trader, which ended with one (I cannot now recall which) telling the other to "go shake thi ears".

I just loved that! And I tried (alas, without success) to convince my fellow re-enactors that a dismissive "Go shake thy ears" would be a far more authentic expression of contempt to deploy than anything they found in "Shakespeare's Insults".
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 January 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Suggest "shake thi ears" Is a good way of describing someone as a donkey without saying so.Possibly the oldest insult to call one an ass. Or as they say in France: " Je suis que je suis; mais je ne suis pas ce que je suis. Que suis je?"

Please have a go.I was told that by a French teacher who had survived 4 years with the Resistance in WW2.