Author Topic: James Fostine Knight marriage 1839 to Amelia Hayter Paddington  (Read 6001 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Fostine Knight marriage 1839 to Amelia Hayter Paddington
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I reported the film s missing from the database and received this standard reply (I've seen it several times before)

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to missing images and transcriptions.

We apologize for the frustration you've experienced regarding errors in the London Metropolitan Archives collection. I have forwarded your feedback on to the relevant department. Please understand that while we receive a large volume of error submissions to our queue, they represent a very small percentage of the total number of records on Ancestry. Due to the volume of error submissions, fixes to errors on Ancestry are posted firstly in the order of those which affect the greatest number of users, and thereafter in the order in which they are reported. For this reason, there is no foreseeable timeframe as to when these changes will be made.

We appreciate your patience.

so you'll have to bite the bullet and pay £9.25, take a trip to the LMA to view it, wait for someone else to have a look but they are few and far between in London, or visit your local LDS centre and view the register on microfilm there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dawn. Pity about 'no foreseeable timeframe'. How can they predict how many users any one error affects? Does it mean the more people 'report' an error or omission, they then determine it affects more people? I feel a 'report' coming on... ;)

I have bitten the bullet & ordered the certificate. I will post the details when I get it. Meanwhile still searching for them in 1851 & later censuses & emigration.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Bullet bitten .... and BINGO  ;)

15 April 1839 Parish Church Paddington:
James Fostine Knight full age bachelor labourer son of James Fostine Knight engineer, signed
Amelia Hayter full age spinster daughter of Charles Hayter smith, made mark
both living at South Wharf Road; witnesses Charles Trowsdale [Amelia's brother-in-law & my 4 x g grandfather] made mark & Ann Hayter [possibly Amelia's mother Ann] signed.

Now to find them on censuses & any children or death indexes or emigration...

The amazing coincidence about South Wharf Road is that my very first job at St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1963 was in a research laboratory the 'Mint Stables' in South Wharf Road  :o
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
That was quick from the GRO or did someone do a look-up for you at the LMA?

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I'd actually ordered it on the 17 Dec in a rush of seasonal spending!!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Outside possibilities in census [James F Knight was a labourer in 1839 on marriage, these 2 James W F Knights are *rich*, also Amelia was born 1812  & this Emily in ca 1806 - women are not well known for ADDING years to their age].

1861 RG09/85/69/45
James W F Knight aged 55 born Knightsbridge fundholder
Emily D Knight aged 56 born Marylebone
visitors in Blandford Square, Marylebone with a Chisholm family

1871 RG10/2375/27/15
James W F Knight aged 65 born Knightsbridge independent
Emily D Knight aged 65 born Marylebone independent
visitors in Taunton

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 December 14 17:01 GMT (UK) »
The outside possibility above is definitely NOT!!

I found a probate in 1893 for an Emily Duncan Knight of Clevedon, Somerset died 1876, widow of James William Francis Knight, this is obviously the couple in the censuses I found.

Back to the hunt... ;)

ADDED: Found a baptism of Fostine Knight on 16 Mar 1781 at St Martins in the Fields, daughter of Thomas Knight & Ann
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQTR-H81
This person is in 2 trees on ancestry.com.au but even with a worldwide ancestry subscription I can't access the trees to contact the owners. 

Offline Gmazz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I believe that I am a descendant of James and Amelia Hayter Knight. In the notes of my 2nd Great Aunt, Clara Knight Hahn, she listed her grandparents as Foster James Knight and Amelia Catherine Haight from England who immigrated to the USA in the early 1840's. She revealed that Foster's father was also named Foster James Knight and that he came from a wealthy family. However, Catherine came from a lower class background. After his arrival in the USA, Foster became a sea captain and died sometime between 1850-1860. The couple first lived in Manhattan, NY, but after Foster's death, Amelia lived with her eldest daughter, Hester Knight Scott, in Jersey City, NJ, where she died on 7/16/1879. Research online led to a dead end and no marriage record for the couple was found. However, when I saw your post and the marriage record from 1839, there were many clues and similarities that led me to believe that these were my ancestors. The last name Hayter and Haight are very similar and the first name Foster and Fostine are not much different either. These names may have been tweaked in America or remembered wrong.  They are the right age and both grooms shared the same name as their father. Also, the names Foster James, Charles, and Amelia are carried through the American branches of the family. Too, is the class difference between the couple, James Fostine Knight Sr being an engineer and Charles Hayter being a smith. Aunt Clara said that the Knights were wealthy and the Haights were lower class. This is eerily similar to Aunt Clara's recollections written when she was in her 80's. Sorry for the length of this, but very hard to explain :)! Please let me know what you think?!
Sincerely,
Greg

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Josey should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea