Author Topic: Fish - Horse Artillery  (Read 5043 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fish - Horse Artillery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 December 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
hi deb
that is an excellent find in tna I wouldn,t have thought to check in there for him so well done you .
yes your likelihood finding anything else on alexander and family are slim at best ,presumably a change of name and location was in order after his going over the wall so to speak and back in those days losing your self was easy with no official documentation  compared with today .
yours
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Robofish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Debe,

I wonder if you got any further with your research on Alexander Fish. I might be clutching at straws here, but my Fish's come from Woodbridge and those for whom I have found baptisms were all baptised in St Mary's Woodbridge.
I have come up against a 'brick wall' with my 3rd great grndfather, Thomas Fish who was born c1800. I have not been able to find a baptism for him anywhere and wondered whether he might possibly be the son of Alexander Fish and Sarah Fosdike as they would be about the right age. As Alexander was in the RHA it might explain why Thomas wasn't baptised locally if Alexander was billetted elsewhere.

Regards,
Robert

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert,
I am afraid I haven't got very far with the FISH family. I did find the following which may explain the difficulty -

"Alexander FISH of Soldiers Unit 4 Battalion. Born Ford, Northumberland. Enlisted 1793 aged 16 years. Note: Deserted 12 March 1799. Source  :-.WO 69/1/1320 1793 (Description of soldiers on joining Royal Horse Artillery)."

I also found a daughter born to the pair who was Arabella FISH baptised at St Mary's Woodbridge 10 Jan 1798.

Maybe if he was a deserter he 'disappeared', changed his name, or emigrated. :)

I certainly would like to find out what happened to the family - Sarah was my 4x great aunt, her older brother, Andrew was my g.g.g.grandfather and Sarah is the only sibling of his I haven't been able to uncover more info for.
If you can find anymore info please do let me know as we may be related!!
Good luck
Deb

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 April 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

Have been doing a bit more research since you wrote and I have found a Sarah PALMER, late widow FISH, late FOSDICK, having a child -Susan- being baptised in Earsham, Norfolk in 1807.
She was the wife of a William PALMER. It looks a bit like that could be my Sarah. Sarah had a younger sister Susanna.
Deb