Author Topic: Fish - Horse Artillery  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fish - Horse Artillery
« on: Thursday 18 December 14 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have hit the inevitable 'brickwall' regarding the FISH family and would be grateful for some advise as to what and where I should next look.
This is what I have so far-

Sarah FOSDIKE married Alexander FISH 1797 at St Mary's Woodbridge.

Sarah was the 4th child of Robert FOSDIKE and Catherine BERRY.

Alexander and Sarah FISH had one known child Arabella born c 1798- baptism 10 January 1798 St Mary's Woodbridge- no further evidence of Arabella or any other children.

Other than the fact that Alexander FISH was in the Royal Horse Artillery I have no further knowledge of him of his parentage.

I have searched census records, bmd records, parish records  to no avail so need help as to where this family could have disappeared to. Where was the R.H.A. based and did they serve in the Napoleonic War? Any help would be greatly appreciated in this quest :(
Many thanks
Deb

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fish - Horse Artillery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debe,

I'm not wishing to upset the cart so to speak but using Anc...y  I found evidence of Sarah Fosdike marrying a Jeremiah Pike 6-12-1801 in Suffolk.

They are listing her parents as Robert Fosdick 1750-1832 and Catherine Berry 1745-1811 which ties in with your listing.     (They married 13-9-1770 St.Mary's, Woodbridge but I haven't checked it out)

Could Alexander have died and Sarah then remarried?

I have'nt found a burial for him nor have I found one for Arabella

I think your best bet is to try and find his Army Records at the National Archives especially as you have his regiment.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Don't worry you are not upsetting the cart:-) It is often said that 2 heads are better than one so I am grateful to you for that info. I shall certainly follow up on that entry and see where it leads.

Yes Robert & Catherine did marry as you suggest, I found that several years ago on a LDS film of St Mary's PR.
Many thanks
Deb

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Could you please let me know under what  record  on Anc...y you found a marriage for Sarah as I subscribe to Anc...y and can only find Pallots marriages which unfortunately doesn't give the parents names.
Many thanks,
Deb

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debe,

I found the public tree on Ann...y by just putting in Sarah Fosdike and a guess of 1775 for date of birth and up came several trees.

The first one I saw was called "Studd Family Tree" (Tree owner is "newfieldhouse") and lists a Pallotts marriage entry to Jeremy Pike 6-12-1801 (year assumed as not seen)

I have a copy (by download) of Phillimore's marriages for Woodbridge and her marriage to Alexander Fish 21-3-1797 is listed on page 108 so I don't think there is any dispute there.
Its also listed in the Suffolk Marriage Index.

In case you need it, here's her parents marriage & burials;
Woodbridge;
13-9-1770 Robert Fosdike - m - Catherine Berry

Woodbridge St.Mary;
5-4-1811   Catherine Fosdike (62) "w/o Robt. S"
31-1-1832 Robert         "         (81)

Hope this helps.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 14 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Alan, shall check that tree out.
Festive greetings to you and yours,
Deb

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
hi deb
guessing at a birth year approx. 20 to 25yrs before the marriage year 
found these bpt records for an alexander fish .
1/  alexander fish bpt 27 april 1777coldingham Berwick fathers name Patrick mothers name Margaret [ spiers]
2/ alexander fish bpt 16 feb 1765 duns  Berwick fathers name adam  mothers name Elizabeth [broun ] .
also checked pension /service records for an alexander fish but nothing shows for that period of time ie 1814/5
couldn,t see any alexander fish in waterloo medal roll in royal horse artillery either , also without knowing which troop number he was in it,s nigh on impossible to say where he may have been billeted around the 1814/5 era could have been Colchester approx. 30 miles south of woodbridge  woodbridge its self or even Norwich in Norfolk approx. 70 miles north of woodbridge .
all 3 above had army connections around that time and Colchester still is a main army barracks now .
for what it,s worth be careful of trees posted on ancestry some are not very accurate as I,ve found from my own family history searches .
all the best to you and yours
trevor.
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trevor for that info re the RHA. I will need to do lots more work on this.

I have the Suffolk marriage CD and on that he is recorded as being from the Royal Horse Artillery so I guess I have to accept that. I don't accept trees on Ancestry as gospel, I always try to prove for myself the given info but it is a good starting point if one is struggling to find any info.

Many thanks and  festive greetings to you.
Deb

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 December 14 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,
I found on T.N.A some R.H.A. records and it appears Alexander FISH enlisted early in 1793 when he was 16, having been born Northumberland but the interesting piece of information in the records  was he deserted in 1799 so maybe I will be hard pushed to find any more info.!
Deb