Author Topic: Was Andrew TUTTON / TURTON murdered?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was Andrew TUTTON / TURTON murdered?
« on: Thursday 18 December 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping for some help please in discovering whether a family legend is true or not.  I am unable to find any Somerset newspaper records online about Andrew but maybe Somerset Chatters have some other records. 

What we know so far : - in 1841 he was in Somerset at ref 963 /  3/28  / 16, said to be born around 1816 with wife Jane (nee CLOTHIER) and daughter Mary aged 5.  A slight problem in that he married Delilah WRIGHT on Nov 1st 1840 at Radford St Peter's Church, Nottingham, calling himself a widower. Deliliah was pregnant at the time. I have been unable to trace Delilah anywhere in 1841, she is definitely not the one in Yorkshire, as that particular Delilah Turton appears again in 1851 with her husband Joseph and several children.  By that time "my" Delilah has remarried.  Also in 1851, Jane and Mary Turton are employed as servants in different parts of the country. 
Andrew's death when he would have been around 24 years old, is recorded in Shepton Mallet in the Mar Q of 1844 at ref 10.355. 
I am not particularly fussed about finding Delilah in 1841, but that would be a bonus.  My real question is to find out whether there is any truth in the rumour passed down the generations that Andrew was murdered by a brother or brothers of Jane Clothier when his bigamy was discovered. 

Thank you in advance. 

NC. 

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was Andrew TUTTON / TURTON murdered?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
If you get a copy of his death cert you will find the cause of death.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
If you got his death certificate that would give cause of death which would be a start. Although I guess you are trying to avoid spending on someone who I take it is not direct line? The parish register entry for his burial might have a comment if it was murder.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
As for Delilah - I wouldnt rule out the one with the husband Joseph Turton too quickly :

Marriage
Apr/May/Jun 1839
Leeds
ref 23 333
On same page - Delilah Turton and Joseph Turton

She is on her own in 1841 with a one year old - you say when she married Andrew Turton in 1840 she was pregnant, so that would fit in . . . .

Oh, no it wouldnt! As this marriage is BEFORE that 1840 marriage - silly me.
But strange this Delilah was already a Turton when she married Joseph.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
There is an Andrew Tutton age 32 buried in Ditcheat on 17 Jan 1844, abode Alhampton on Freereg note says "accidentally killed on the turnpike road" - is that your man?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
That looks very much like the Andrew I am looking for.  Whether or not it actually was accidental we'll never know.  Maybe there was some truth in the family legend. 

Thank you very much for your help.  I will leave this topic open for the time being in case Delilah pops up in 1841 anywhere. 

Thanks.  NC. 

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Ordinarily, there was likely to have been a Coroner's Inquest to obtain the verdict 'accidentally killed on the turnpike road'.  Despite my best attempts using 19th Century terminology, I've not found any mention of the incident in the West Country press currently available via the British Library Newspaper Archive.  However, the timing of the incident clashed with a 'kerfuffle' in Wiltshire concerning Coroner's fees and expenses withheld by the Justices for certain inquests they considered unnecessary, so coroners elsewhere would have been under pressure to justify an inquest if there was already sufficient evidence to prove accidental death. 

If I were you, NC, I'd be inclined to obtain a copy of that death certificate, not only to confirm the cause of death but also the identity of the informant.  I've encountered a few accident reports where a local was believed to have been run over by one of the many night coaches after imbibing too well at a village inn.  Injuries received in a pugilist encounter sometimes resulted in an 'accidental' death verdict, as well as the more common fall from a horse or under the wheels of a cart, which could attract a 'deodand' - a sort of fine on the object that caused the death of one of Her Majesty's subjects.   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your very interesting and well-informed reply.  It is good to hear details of how the Coroners' system worked in those days and how Andrew's case could have been dealt with.
I will definitely consider the purchase of his death certificate.

NC.