Author Topic: 1891 Census Everton area of Liverpool...missing pages?  (Read 7742 times)

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1891 Census Everton area of Liverpool...missing pages?
« on: Thursday 25 December 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find James Thomas Cahill, his wife Sarah Ellen & daughter Ellen anywhere in the 1891 Census. This is not a request for a  person search, as extensive work has been put in by many people over a number of years with no success.

I would be content if someone here has evidence of missing pages of the Census in the Everton/Bootle area of Liverpool, 1891.

In 1888 they were at Towson Street Everton. In 1887 they were living in Epsom & Ascot Sts Liverpool. I cannot imagine them moving far away by 1891.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan

Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Census Everton area of Liverpool...missing pages?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 December 14 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to information on FindMyPast there are no missing pieces on the 1891:

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census

When 1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census was taken on April 5th, the total population of England, Wales and Scotland was recorded as 33,015,701.

The census is available in full, with no known missing pieces.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces

It might be that they have been badly transcribed or they are missing for other reasons - e.g. enumerator error, etc.

I take it that you have you trawled through the sheets of the most likely areas page by page

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 December 14 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget!

I have had FindMyPast for the past 3 years and have trawled streets, door by door, in all wherever there was or had been, a sniff of a relative, though I admit there are many, many streets I have not explored. James and daughter do re-appear in the 1901 Census in Kendrick Street, but without the mother, Sarah Ellen. But that is a completely different story, which I have posted previously on the Lancashire Board.

Again thanks.Wish the Enumerator was still alive so I could ask him.  ;D

Alan

Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 December 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I take it that much of the info about them is on this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=672134.0

If heywood has searched for them and can't find them, I'm sure they must be missing/not entered as she is one of the best searchers for that area  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 December 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure where Findmypasts information comes from but according to The National Archives there are quite a few pieces missing from the 1891 census, they mostly seem to relate to persons on board vessels or Institutions. For West Derby (which covers both Bootle and Everton) there are the following missing

Reference:   RG 12/2969
Description:   
Registration Sub-District 4A Walton.
Civil Parish, Township or Place: Bootle cum Linacre (4) (Returns for Infectious Diseases Hospital partially MISSING.)
Date:   1891

Reference:   RG 12/2970
Description:   
Registration Sub-District 4B Walton.
Civil Parish, Township or Place: Bootle cum Linacre (8) (Returns for 717 persons on board 155 vessels are MISSING.)
Date:   1891

You can find what is missing by going to The National Archives Catalogue http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/and search as follows
general register office 1891 census missing

Andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 December 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that the 3 missing sub-districts would contain the Cahills, Andy - on board vessels  or all in hospital  :-\

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=missing+rg12+lancashire

Gadget

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 December 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
To Gadget & Andy,

You keep the search alive! Yes, Heywood, and many others, have spent a lot of time helping me in the past. That is why I said in my first post a day ago, that I was not asking anyone to re-open the search.

With some imagination, I can accept that the family could have been in the Infectious Diseases Hospital (they were definitely a poor family with few assets living in less than salubrious circumstances.) The child Ellen, who became my grandmother, did not attend her daughter's wedding, (my mother), in 1944 as she had no suitable clothes to wear. I had this information fom a cousin who did attend the wedding.

I can also believe that the three of them could have been using a vessel for overnight accommodation as James was associated with the river and shipping from at least 1881 to 1911 when he was described on the Census as a Rigger of Ships.

Two Long Bows to draw, maybe. But you have to hope !

Thank you both again.

Alan

Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 December 14 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Not sure about the vessels, hospital, just maybe but wouldn't like to bet on either.  I think that it's most likely that they are just not recorded.

However, have you tried the Workhouse?  Often they are just listed with initials rather than names.

Gadget

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 December 14 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Gadget,

Not sure if I did check the Workhouses in Everton area. Do you know of any specific websites or can I access through FindMyPast ?
Thanks
Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty