Author Topic: William, Elizabeth, Clementine & James Niddrie, Craigo, Logie Pert 1760-1840  (Read 2088 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William, Elizabeth, Clementine & James Niddrie, Craigo, Logie Pert 1760-1840
« on: Thursday 25 December 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear All, As far as I can understand William b 29 April 1759 d 25 Dec 1838 at Hill of Craigo, Elizabeth b ~ 1763 d 11 Oct 1838, Clementine b 1766 d 13 Sept 1839 and James b 1769, came from Robert Niddrie & Jean Milne at Hill of Craigo, Logie Pert.  I know about William as he is buried at Logie, Montrose (behind Logie Mains Farm) and I think Elizabeth or Clementine are in the next grave there with John Forbes but the stone is badly eroded.  Allison Mitchel Pre 1855 Gravestones gives the best she could at the time she did the transcript. I have nothing on James Niddrie b 28 Jun 1769 at Hill of Craigo and what happened him. Robert Niddrie & Jean Milne have scant mention in IGI or OPR so anybody with anything helpful to add to the subject would be most welcome to respond.
Many thanks,  nw_whiskers.

Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William, Elizabeth, Clementine & James Niddrie, Craigo, Logie Pert 1760-1840
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 15 21:23 BST (UK) »
I think this may be your William Niddrie?
I noticed the name  William Niddrie, from Hill of Craigo in the 18th and 19th century tax documents. For a small subscription you can view online at Scotland’s Places, for example: Cart tax rolls 1785-1798
E326/7/1/81 Cart tax, volume 01 Page 81
A Survey of two Wheeled Carts let out for hire, Arisen in the Shire of Forfar for a half Year commencing the tenth day of October 1784 and ending the fifth day of April 1785 by William Greig Surveyor.
15 & 17 Oct 1785
Pert & Loggie Parishes
William Niddery, Hill of Craigo 1 cart with 2 wheels, 1/- duty (shillings)

E326/7/4/89 Cart tax, volume 04 Page 89
26 June 1787: William Niddery in Hill of Craigo, 1 cart with 2 wheels, 2/- duty

E326/7/6/97William Nidderie at Hill of Craigo ... Cart tax, volume 06 Page 97
17 June 1788: William nidderie at Hill of Craigo , 1 cart with 2 wheels, duty 2/-

E326/7/8/91William Nidderie at Hill of Craigo ... Cart tax, volume 08 Page 91:
18 July 1789: William Nidderie at Hill of Craigo, 1 2 wheel cart. Duty of 2/-

E326/7/10/85William Nedderie Hill of Craigo ... Cart tax, volume 10 Page 85
3 June 1790: William Nedderie Hill of Craigo, 1 2 wheel cart, duty of 2/-
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William, Elizabeth, Clementine & James Niddrie, Craigo, Logie Pert 1760-1840
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
Dear AncesStory,  Your post certainly reads like him and gives me another avenue to look into to see what more I can add to my family tree.  I did look at the Horse Tax Records for Fettercairn some time back and that helped me better understand the other half of my tree so I will most certainly be following up on your tip which is most appreciated.  William Niddrie is in the Logie, Montrose Church Yard looking on to the River Esk so it is a very peaceful place to visit.  The Headstone itself dates back to about 1748 and is beautifully carved on the sunset or west side. William had two daughters so that particular Niddrie line ended with him but he is not forgotten.

Many thanks,  nw_whiskers.
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland