Author Topic: Sarah Cornwell  (Read 11879 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Cornwell
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 January 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Roger ... thanks.

I've followed this line back to the beginning of the Parish Registers this afternoon (8 generations ... aren't digitized Parish Registers wonderful???).

I THINK I've got it right.

They seem to be the Dullingham crowd ... but if you're offering to cast an eye over what I've got and let me know where I've gone wrong, I'll be more than happy to submit to your scrutiny.

I THINK it all goes back to John Cornell, who was married to Agnes.

Agnes was buried in Dullingham on 27 May 1577, but not before she'd had a son Henry, who wasn't baptized until 1 December 1577 (I suspect, therefore, that she died in childbirth ...)

John Cornell then married Joane Norman, in Bottisham on 22 June 1579, and they had a further 6 children, all baptized in Dullingham:

Prudence (baptized 15 February 1579/80 ... so they obviously hadn't been THAT prudent ...)
John (baptized 18 November 1582)
Constance & Alice (baptized 16 June 1585)
Agnes (baptized 1 July 1588)
William (baptized 1 August 1591)

Joan Cornell was buried in Bottisham on 20 February 1602/3 (Norman family vault?)

John Cornell was buried in Dullingham on 23 November 1616

William Cornell married Ellen Rannew in Dullingham on 24 November 1616. They had 4 children:

William (baptized 15 June 1617, but died)
Elizabeth (baptized 24 May 1619)
Margaret (baptized 4 July 1622)
William (baptized 30 January 1624/5)

Ellen then died, and William Cornell, widr married Elizabeth Jarvis in Wood Ditton on 1 November 1627. They had 6 children:

Augustine (baptisex 20 April 1628)
Isaac (baptized 10 January 1629/30)
Alice (baptized 11 December 1631)
Audrey (baptized 3 February 1632/3)
Job (baptized 1 January 1634/5)
John (baptized 29 January 1636/7

Job Cornall married Barbara Hills in Gazeley, Suffolk in 1665. They had 5 children:

William (baptized 11 February 1665/6)
Henry (baptized 25 July 1669)
Alice & Marie (baptized 2 January 1672/3)
Margaret (baptized 1 November 1674)

William Cornwell married Susan Husk in Burrough Green on 8 November 1688

They had 4 or 5 children:

Margaret (baptized 19 December 1692, does not say who the father was, and might have been Henry's rather than theirs)

Mary (baptized 1 September 1695)

William (baptized 5 June 1698, does not say who the father was, but as Henry's daughter Sarah was baptized 10 months previously, I think probably William's; and Thomas, baptized on 19 November 1699 may be either's but I think probably Henry's)

Barbara (baptized 4 May 1701)
Abraham (baptized 26 June 1704)

William Cornel married Mary Wake in Dullingham on 19 July 1720. They had 4 children:

William, baptized 19 January 1720/1
Mary, baptized 21 July 1723
Joshua, baptized 11 December 1725
Elizabeth, baptized 29 September 1728

William Cornell married Ann Aves in Dullingham on 16 September 1741. They had 5 children:

William, baptized 29 August 1742
Ann, baptized 2 August 1744
Sarah, baptized 3 December 1749
James, baptized 8 March 1746/7
Edmund, baptized 6 November 1752

The action now moves from Dullingham to Cheveley.

William Cornell married Mary Cullifer (or Culliver, or Culifer ... sc. Cauliflower  ::) ) in Cheveley on 16 February 1767. They lived in Cheveley and had 4 children:

William, baptized privately 28 June 1767 and received into church 22 November

James, baptized 11 August 1768

John, baptized 16 June 1771. Private baptism. The register says "William and Elisabeth", but I think this is clerical error and it should say "William and Mary". There was no William and Mary Cornell in Cheveley.

Benjamin, baptized 30 May 1773. Private baptism.

John Cornell married Lucy Tailor in Cheveley on 22 January 1798. So far I have only got two children for them - Sarah, baptized in Exning on 11 November 1804 (who married Ambrose Frost, from whom I have a documented line of descent down to myself) and George (discussed at length above). I'm sure there were probably others.

I've not yet traced all the burials ... but that, to me, is looking like a pretty coherent story.

Does it look right to you, or do you have an industrial size spanner waiting to be pitched into my works??

All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I clearly have a lot more work to do on my Cornwells. There is undoubetedly a connection between Bottisham and Dullingham by the look of things. Much more grist to the mill. You may be aware that if you have connections to Bottisham then you are related to jack Cornwell VC.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Roger -

No, I wasn't aware of that. Do pray tell me a bit about him ... although it looks as if any connection between my Dullingham line and your Bottisham line may be before the beginning of the parish registers (unless, that is, your Bottisham line was started by one of the many siblings I have noted along the way in my Dullingham line ... )

Incidentally, Job Cornell's mother remarried when he was 8, brining a whole load of step-siblings into the picture as well!!

Can't find any burial for either job or Barbara!!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
There is stacks of information about Jack Cornwell VC all over the net. Just Google Jack Cornwell VC and over 140,000 entries in total will come up, though many of them are repetitive. One of my correspondents told me that the Cornell and Cornwell names came about because of a connection to Oliver Cromwell and the alterations were made because to be called Cromwell was not a safe name to have at the Restoration of the monarchy. One thing that does fit with this theory is the fundamentalist nature of the Baptist group to which many of the Ayres' and Cornwell belonged at Bottisham/Lode. Have you heard of this possible connection before?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Very briefly Jack Cornwell enlisted as a Boy in the Royal Navy, early in 1916. He was a gunlayer on HMS Chester at the Battle of Jutland on 29th May 1916. A shell penetrated the turret and he was mortally wounded, but stayed at his post until the end of the battle. He was taken to Grimsby (Lincs) where he died in hospital on 2nd June from his wounds. He was then shipped back to London where his mother lived and buried in the local cemetary. After a campaign by the Daily Sketch his mother was Badgered by the War Office into allowing her son's body to be exhumed pending a state funeral on 29th July. There are several pictures of the cortege posted. Apparently this was done by HM Government in an attempt to boost morale, but when i was a boy my late grandmother who was very close to Jack's mother told me that she had been absolutely bullied into the state funeral. As i say there is a lot of information on the net.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah ... I knew the story, but not the name attached to it.

Wow.

As for the name being changed from Cromwell to Cornell, well, some may have done it ... but my Cornell chain in Dullingham seems to link up all the way back into the 16th century, so isn't looking like a Cromwell line by any other name.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 January 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
No; personally I think it very unlikely to have happened.

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 March 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I regret that I have only just stumbled onto this thread not normally checking the Suffolk board being preoccupied with my Cambridgeshire CORNWELL ancestors. However, around Newmarket the picture often gets clouded so some interlopers from across county boundaries do turn up on my system. This includes Sarah CORNWELL born c1797 at Rougham, Suffolk.

For what it is worth, I have her living with her widower son Robert near Lee Well, Newmarket, in 1871 and still there in Newmarket in 1881. My belief is that she was the widow of Benjamin CORNELL whose family can be found living at The Rookery, Newmarket St Mary’s, in 1841. The Sarah CORNWELL aged 78 living in Mill Road, Bottisham, was the widow of John Day CORNWELL (my GGG-Uncle) and she died there on 7 Feb 1881.

As for John & Sarah CORNELL living at Swaffham Bulbeck in 1851 I have them living there in 1841 which does not preclude any connection with the Newmarket marriage of Sarah SHIPP Q2 1848 but casts some doubt on the matter. John S CORNWELL was buried at Swaffham Bulbeck on 25 Jan 1856 with declared age of 84.

All offered in the spirit of co-operation rather than implied critique.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 March 15 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter. It gets a littler close, though Newmarket is in Suffolk the REgistrations for Bottisham etc were in the Newmarket district. I am firmly of the opinion it is one large extended family crossing county boundaries. I will look at the detail shortly.