Author Topic: Sarah Cornwell  (Read 11895 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Cornwell
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 March 15 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Newmarket All Saints parish was Cambridgeshire until 1889 while its St Mary's parish has always been Suffolk - as was Exning or 'Oldmarket' if you prefer. Landwade was similarly transferred to Suffolk in 1994. With total disregard for such administrative niceties, our forbears cheerfully frolicked & gambolled, hither & thither, ignoring county boundaries & often making their subsequent movements difficult to unravel with total certainty. All part of the challenge.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Definitely; it seems to be the norm for my ancestors to be split between two counties on both sides. Very good for the travel industry!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 March 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I regret that I have only just stumbled onto this thread not normally checking the Suffolk board being preoccupied with my Cambridgeshire CORNWELL ancestors. However, around Newmarket the picture often gets clouded so some interlopers from across county boundaries do turn up on my system. This includes Sarah CORNWELL born c1797 at Rougham, Suffolk.

Peter -

Thank you. This one has already been suggested as a possible alternative identity for my great x3 grandmother Sarah Frost (nee Cornwell) who married Ambrose Frost in Exning on 8 May 1828. I have considered it, and rejected it for the following reasons.

We see Ambrose and Sarah Frost in the 1841 census living in Exning at HO107 Piece 1027 Folio 25 page 16.

We do not see them in the 1851 Census because Piece 1763 is missing.

In the 1861 Census they are in Swan Street, Exning (RG9 Piece 1032 Folio 69 page 10) and Sarah is said to be 56 years old, and to have been born in Exning.

In the 1871 Census Sarah, now a Widow, is at the White Swan, Exning (RG10 Piece 1596 Folio 19 page 13). She is now said to be 64 years old, and again is said to have been born in Exning.

She died in 1875 (registered Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1875 Q2 volume 3B page 354) at which time she was said to be 72 years old.

So that's three pieces of evidence in which an age is asserted which is considerably more consistent with hers having been the 1804 Exning baptism rather than the 1797 Rougham baptism; and two pieces of evidence which identify her birth place as Exning not Rougham. She was also married in Exning, not Rougham.

Taken in the round, therefore, whilst I do not rule out absolutely the possibility that she was from the Rougham line, I think it considerably more likely that she was born and baptized in Exning, where she lived her whole life.

Further proof might be available from wills or from her parents' death registrations if she was the informant for one or other or both. I am in fact quite hopeful that either she or Ambrose might have been the informant for her father's death, which would put the matter beyond doubt.

The parents of the Sarah Cornell baptized in Exning in 1804 were John and Lucy.

Ambrose and Sarah Frost's first child was a son whom they named John Cornwell Frost (strongly suggesting that Sarah's father was called John Cornwell) and their first daughter (who was their third child, and my great great grandmother) was named Lucy Frost. This may just be coincidence, of course ... but equally, it may be significant.

Lucy Cornell died in 1848 (registered Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1848 Q1 volume 14 page 18). I haven't obtained the death certificate yet. I suspect when I do the informant will probably be her husband John.

There are four possible John Cornell deaths: all registered Cambridgeshire, Newmarket (1855 Q2 volume 3B page 375), 1856 Q1 volume 3B page 325; 1859 Q4 volume 3B page 357; 1861 Q1 volume 3B page 359). Before I go investing in death certificates to see who the informants were, I'd like if I can to see whether any of the four can definitely be ruled in or out by their wills and probates or administrations. I have yet to look at the Suffolk wills for the first two (in 1855 and 1856) - indeed, not sure whether I should expect to find them in the St Edmundsbury & Ipswich diocesan records, or the Ely records. I have searched the Probate Calendars up to 1865 and not found anything for the 1859 and 1861 deaths.

I did, however, find one which might be of interest to anyone researching the parallel lines: John Cornwell of Bottisham Lode died 11 January 1864, and probate of his will was granted to his widow and relict Sarah Cornwell on 20 April 1864. Effects under £100.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 March 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
jbml,

Your research is both thorough & meticulous. A most compelling drop-line of your Exning forbears. My apologies if I set any hares running with Sarah CORNWELL born c1797 at Rougham who is clearly a complete red herring in this context.

As for possible deaths of John CORNELL I can offer the following:
1856 Q1 was John CORNELL born Carlton c1772 buried at Swaffham Bulbeck on 25 Jan 1856.   
1859 Q4 was John CORNELL born c1791 buried 21 Nov 1859 at Soham.
1861 Q1 was John CORNELL born c1860 buried at Soham on 30 Jan 1861.
I have no record of the 1855 Q2 death but the above will hopefully narrow your search a little.
And as previously mentioned, John Day CORNWELL who died 11 January 1864 was my GGG Uncle. It was on his death that White Fen at Bottisham Lode passed out of the family. 

CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Peter -

Thank you. I try to be thorough ... but the only way to be thorough is to chase all hares. Deduction by exclusion is the name of the game in this business; so there's no need whatever to apologise for drawing attention to the Rougham Sarah.

As to her father, I have him down as John Cornell, son of William and Elisabeth (or more likely William and Mary ... the entry "Elisabeth" being a clerical error), who was baptized in Cheveley on 16 June 1771. He was orphaned by the time he was 4 and a half, and married Lucy Tailor (who was evidently already pregnant) in Cheveley on 22 January 1798.

Their first child, Thomas, was baptized at Newmarket St Mary on 4 June 1798, and the rest of their children were baptized in Exning: Elizabeth on 18 May 1800, William on 3 October 1802, my great x4 grandmother Sarah on 11 November 1804, and James on 8 November 1807.

In the 1841 census he appears as a 75 year old Farmer living in Exning (HO107 Piece 1027 Book 7, Folio 25 page 16). I don't know where Lucy is in the 1841 Census, but she should be there somewhere as she did not die until 1848.

I cannot find him in the 1851 census, but that is unsurprising given that piece 1763 is missing.

Your comments on the 1856, 1859 and 1861 deaths appear to rule those out as being him, which means it looks as though he should be the 1855 death.

I shall order that death certificate, and see what it has to say.

Many thanks for your notes, which have assisted considerably in narrowing the field.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
jbml

Pleased to have been of some small help. I have your GGGG Grandmother's line listed via Thomas the fishmonger who moved from Newmarket to Newtown, Cambridge, sometime between June 1841 & Oct 1850. However, I have not made the connection back to William CORNELL of Cheveley due, largely, to the burial there of John CORNELL (bap 16 Jun 1771) on 28 Jun 1771. Do let me know of any success you have with the 1855 Death Certificate.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 March 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Ah ... I missed that burial.

It does rather look like the end of the line, doesn't it?

Hmmmmmm ... time for another rethink, by the looks of it ...

Quite a hare to have missed, that one, in terms of wrong trees barked up! I've just had to scratch 60 names spread across 9 generations from the tree!  :o (Sure there'll be others to replace them, but even so ...)

Hosea Shelverdyne is no longer looking like an ancestor  >:(

But at least I get to keep Nebuchadnezzar Ashby, who is definitely an ancestor by another route ...  :) :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 28 March 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
 :) ;D ;D

Quote;
But at least I get to keep Nebuchadnezzar Ashby, who is definitely an ancestor by another route .
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 March 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
:) ;D ;D

Quote;
But at least I get to keep Nebuchadnezzar Ashby, who is definitely an ancestor by another route .
Any known connection to Nebuchadnezzar Ayres who I believe was a railway worker at March?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)