Author Topic: Sarah Cornwell  (Read 11901 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Cornwell
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 December 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh trish ... thank you for the John and William reference.

Yes - it does look as though it may be father or grandfather, doesn't it!

I'll see if I can track down a death and the death certificate may be very revealing. I guess there's a good chance that the informant will turn out to be "Sarah Frost, present at the death" ... and the question then becomes one of whether or not a relationship is stated!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 December 14 10:47 GMT (UK) »
How exciting, I nearly didnt type that up as I though you may have already had the Census!

Good luck with the Cert and please let us know the outcome :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 December 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow!

It looks like John remarried late in life.

John Cornwell married Sarah Shipp Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1848 Q2 volume 14 page 139

We then see them in the 1851 Census:

Vicarage, Swaffham Bulbeck, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire:

John S Cornell, 80, Retired Farmer, b. Carlton, Cambs
Sarah Cornell, 56, wife, b. Swaffham Bulbeck
Eliza Blanks, 20, house servant, b. Little Wilbraham

The death is more problematic. He does not appear in the 1861 census; but there are four possible deaths, all registered as John Cornell in Cambridgeshire, Newmarket:

1855 Q2 volume 3B page 375
1856 Q1 volume 3B page 325
1859 Q4 volume 3B page 357
1861 Q1 volume 3B page 359

His widow Sarah is to be seen in the 1861 census:

Grosvenor Yard, Church lane, Newmarket St mary

Mary Cornwell, widow, 34, Needle Woman, b. Great Bradley, Suffolk
Joanna Cornwell, daughter, 12 Scholar, b. Kirtling, Cambs
Ben Cornwell, son, 6, scholar, b. Newmarket, Suffolk
James Cornwell, son, 4, scholar b. ditto
Henry Cornwell, son, 2, b. ditto
George Cornwell, son, 0, b. ditto
Sarah Cornwell, mother in law, 64, formerly laundress, b. ditto

(I suspect this was a case of Mary not knowing where her mother-in-law was born, and so just entering the place they happened to be on the return)

I've had little joy so far in tracing Mary back to a marriage and a husband.

There are three promising deaths which could be her husband:

George Cornwell, Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1860 Q2 volume 3B page 359
Henry Cornwell, Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1860 Q2 volume 3B page 363
Edward Cornwell, Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1861 Q2 volume 3B page 339

I cannot, however, find any marriages that would tie up or 1851 census entries to tally. (If forced to choose a favourite, I would plump for George, simply on the basis of the name given to the posthumous son ... but I know that's pretty thin).

In the 1871 census I think that she is probably Sarah Cornwill, widow, 78, retired farmer's wife born Cambs, Lode who is living on her own at Mill Road, Bottisham, Newmarket

Finally, I think she is probably the Sarah Cornwell, age 95 (!), whose death was registered Cambridgeshire, Newmarket 1875 Q1 volume 3B page 466

If she was living alone, then it may well be that whoever registered her death merely thought of her as "a very old woman" and had to guess at an age - so I am not too troubled by the age. She is not in the 1881 census, and there is no other plausible death registration.

Well ... there's an AWFUL lot of information to process there.

Hoepfully some of it will help me to unscramble this line a little further.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 December 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
BEN Cornwell Christened 7 Jan 1855, St Mary, Newmarket, Suffolk
Parents GEORGE/MARY

Possible Marriage;
George CORNWELL, 6 Nov 1853, St Mary, Newmarket, Suffolk
(F/S.Org)

1851 Census has a JOANNA Dains born c 1849 Kirtling with her Dains Grandparents William/Sarah in Kirtling.

1851 Mary Darner (sic), Neice, born c 1828 Gt Bradley, Suffolk, is with Joseph MOTT in Great Bradley.

William DAINES Married Sarah MOTT, 16 November 1822, Kirtling, Cambridge, England

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 December 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Oooh ... thank you Trish. Yes, it does look like George is the right one then, doesn't it?

And you are thinking that Joanna Dains is Joanna Cornwell as was?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 December 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Yep I think Joanna Daines was the illegitimate Daughter of Mary Daines who then married George Cornwell.

Ooops I didnt finish Marriage info earlier post;
George Cornwell   
Marriage:    6 November 1853 Newmarket Saint Mary,Suffolk,England   
Spouse:    Mary Daine

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 December 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
That's great Trish ... many thanks for your help.

I'll have to note all this stuff down and go back to compare it with my existing notes, to see what needs amending or updating.

:)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 January 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
BINGO!!!!!

John WAS her father.

John Cornell married Lucy Tailor in Cheveley, Cambridgeshire on 22 January 1798

Sarah Cornwell, daughter of John and Lucy (formerly Taylor) was baptized in Exning on 11 November 1804 (so a little bit older than the Census entries suggest ... )

WOOHOO!! One happy bunny here.

Still got to figure out George and the rest of the siblings in that generation ... but we're on our way now  :D :D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 January 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I have poked my nose into this thread as I and others have researched Cornwell primarily in the Bottisham area of Cambridgeshire for many years. There are a lot of them, and intermarriage amongst the clan and particularly with the Ayres and other families in the area is very common. However, will give all help I can.I suspect the Newmarket registrations will be Cornwells from the Bottisham (Lode) area.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)