Author Topic: Sarah Cornwell  (Read 11878 times)

Offline Tasman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Cornwell
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 01 September 16 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi jbml,
I am responding to your post headed “Re: Sarah Cornwell Reply #18” posted on Sunday 18 January 2015.
It is unconfirmed but some of what you have posted may link to what I know of my ancestry. However, there appears to be a missing link of one generation. Specifically you posted the following:
“Job Cornall married Barbara Hills in Gazeley, Suffolk in 1665. They had 5 children:
William (baptized 11 February 1665/6)
Henry (baptized 25 July 1669)
Alice & Marie (baptized 2 January 1672/3)
Margaret (baptized 1 November 1674)”
Via my twice gr gr gr gr grandmother Lucy Cornell, who married John King, I am descended from a Cornell family long established in Gazeley. Gazeley is my grandfather’s hometown. I am hoping you may have the information that links my known ancestry to what you have posted and be willing and able to share it with me. I am also hoping you can clarify for me the source of your information and possibly advise me of where and how I can pursue further information (as my research needs appear to overlap with what you have already researched).
Lucy’s known Cornell ancestry in Gazeley is as follows:
John and Frances Cornell had a son Benjamin Cornell, christened 9 September 1697, Gazeley.
Benjamin Cornell, christened 9 September 1697, Gazeley, married Ann Titsall of Gazeley, born approx 1698, Gazeley. They had the following children: Ann Cornell, christened 8 January 1725, Gazeley; Benjamin Cornell, christened 28 November 1726, Gazeley; William Cornell, christened 9 January 1730, Gazeley; Frances Cornell, christened 13 April 1732, Gazeley; Sarah Cornell, christened 14 June 1734, Gazeley; Lydia Cornell, christened 22 October 1736, Gazeley; and George Cornell, christened 18 May 1739, Gazeley.
George Cornell, christened 18 May 1739, Gazeley, married 13 December 1764 in Gazeley to Sarah Ruffell, born approx 1743, Gazeley. They had the following children: Sally Cornell, christened 21 November 1765, Gazeley; William Cornell, christened 13 February 1767, Gazeley; Lucy Cornell, christened 23 June 1768, Gazeley; and Anne Cornell, christened 20 December 1770, Gazeley.
This information comes mostly from old searches on the International Genealogical Index cross-referenced with other records. Perhaps also worth a mention is that on my family tree there are multiple marriages between the Cornell, King, Halls and Ruffell families.
Is there a “missing link” between what I have told you and what you know? Is there anything else you can tell me?
I have not read all threads on this post yet.
I am grateful for your consideration and any advice or assistance you can provide.
Regards,
Tasman.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Roger ... thanks.

John Cornell then married Joane Norman, in Bottisham on 22 June 1579, and they had a further 6 children, all baptized in Dullingham:

Prudence (baptized 15 February 1579/80 ... so they obviously hadn't been THAT prudent ...)

At last I have had chance to take something of a look  at your work. Seems OK so far as I can tell, but regards to the prudence of Prudence; I don't think she was born before the marriage. I think this is due to the recording of dates before the change of the calendar in 1752?. Prior to that the new year started in late March, and prior dates in the year would be recorded thus, so what we would record as February 1580 would then be recorded as 1579/80, cumbersome to say the least. I will get further into this as time and committments permit.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 September 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Tasman,

As previously posted, Job CORNELL who married Barbara HILLS at Gazeley in 1665 hailed from Dullingham in Cambridgeshire where his family can be traced back to Richard CORNELL yeoman of Dullingham Ley who died there in 1587. Job’s branch of the family adopted the form ‘CORNWELL’ for the baptism of all five children and remained around Dullingham in the south-east corner of Cambridgeshire bordering Suffolk with later generations of this line settling in Brinkley, Stetchworth, and also, I believe, Carlton-cum-Willingham. 

I haven’t fully researched the CORNELLs in Gazeley being outside my area of particular interest but I’m sure that jbml will have this well in hand.

Redroger,

I know of no evidence to suggest that Prudence CORNELL (bap 1579 Dullingham) was the offspring of John CORNELL who married Joan NORMAN at Bottisham on 22 June 1579. As far as I am currently aware, Prudence was the second of nine children to John CORNELL the elder, farmer of Dullingham, who died in 1616 & his wife Mary who died there in 1631. Prudence CORNELL married Robert LOVEDAY at Burrough Green on 29 June 1603.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 04 September 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the correction Peter.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Tasman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 10 September 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Redroger

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 29 August 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Roger ... thanks.

John Cornell then married Joane Norman, in Bottisham on 22 June 1579, and they had a further 6 children, all baptized in Dullingham:

Prudence (baptized 15 February 1579/80 ... so they obviously hadn't been THAT prudent ...)

At last I have had chance to take something of a look  at your work. Seems OK so far as I can tell, but regards to the prudence of Prudence; I don't think she was born before the marriage. I think this is due to the recording of dates before the change of the calendar in 1752?. Prior to that the new year started in late March, and prior dates in the year would be recorded thus, so what we would record as February 1580 would then be recorded as 1579/80, cumbersome to say the least. I will get further into this as time and committments permit.
Roger

Indeed. Probably not born BEFORE the marriage ... but definitely baptised less than 8 months AFTER it!!! That was my point ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright