Author Topic: Angliscised names - FELLMAN, LANDMAN  (Read 31470 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angliscised names
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »

Samuel Feldman 50 yrs, traveller Russia. Hebrew
Sarah 17 yrs dressmaker
Sanna 36 yrs wife
Tilly 11 yrs daughter
Gerty 9 yrs
Esther 5 yrs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 December 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Here's Bessie  :)

Baltic, October 19th 1904

Bessie Fellman 20 yrs dressmaker born Russia Hebrew race/people lived in Liverpool 6 yrs going to brother Barues ? Fellman, 478 Myrtle Ave

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Heywood ;where did you get that information is the grouping of samuel + his family on the oceanic ?
They should have a brother David .somewhere but I haven't come across one beginning with B yet according to my Great granfather George Jacobs medical records from 1920 he was the 2nd eldest of 12 , 2 of whom are dead.  he was born in 1871 according to most records and his sister Rebecca could be a few years younger or older . I know 2 children(dvora+ aron) died in jacobstadt ;his other full siblings were    mera/may 1880
bassa/bessie 1882
 sora/sarah/celia 1885
david 1886

half siblngs   taube /taube b1890 jakobstadt
khaya/tilly matilda b1891
 golde/gertrude /gertz b1893 lancs
esther /lestraube b1897 lancs   that makes a total of 12 already
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I was/am bothered about Barnett/B but the rest of the records look so good, don't they?
The grouping is on Ellis Island site http://libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger. You have to sign in but it is free.

You need access to Ancestry.com or similar, I think, for census addresses. Family Search shows links. 478 Myrtle, Avenue, Brooklyn is the address they went to. Additionally, there is the Feldman/Fellman spellings.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 December 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
someone on GR sent me the transcription of the passenger list.
I will come back to it later ; Barnett should be born 1868-1870 if older brother . In my head I 'd decided maybe Rebecca was eldest and George jacob was eldest son .

Rebecca named her  son Barnet in 1909
so the name is in the family

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »

summary of research so far
My great grandfather  came from Russia   where  i found him  aged 20with a 40 year old  "female" Mendal  on Manchester census 1891

I learnt that he was the 2nd sibling of 12  from his hospital records  the named sister 
rebecca's death certificate gave both Parents names ;Lazarus Fellman  edith Landsman

Today I found more links  information  by looking at the originals of school records
1893 David Fellman aged 14 of 3 Nightingale st  enrols at  Manchester Jews school
as does sister matilda Dob13/3/90 (last figure crossed out changed from 89 /)  on original surname is clearly Fellman (transcription Filman) father Sam.

Rebecca Fellman is manchester school name for our Tilly she is enrolled on same day and from same address as her sister Golda (Gertrude) but  has father's name as Meyer
 on a  different page   Golda's father  named Samuel ;

1901 census it's  Tilly + Gertrude ,

On 09/01/1900 it's Matilda    of 36 Price sT  enrolling in Birkenhead Cof E school   
Which is very poignant for me as George is listed under father/guardian colum is actaully her big brother who's girlfriend  Charlotte Roberts has just given birth to his child (my nana maisie )+ is petitioning for maintenance

"Gertie"  still at 36 Price st is enrolled at St john's  Cof E Birkenhead  in 1903.

connection to George's eldest   brother ;
 in 1892 little Adolf  Feldman of Bent St   father is transcribed as Jacob Fellman   but the original clearly has Barius J Fellman

did Barius become Barnet in USA ? did he send his 1st born to GB with his grandmother + aunties ?
 His other children were born in Russia apart from youngest 2 in NY
In  April 1903 Annie + Isreal  Feldman  BENT ST  were enrolled in this school,
thier father Jacob Feldman   date of withdrawal from school looks like 1904 
Barnet Jacob was not in UK for any census as by 1910 he is established in NY 

;

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 January 15 09:16 GMT (UK) »
It's looking pretty good from where I'm sitting, Brigid  :)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 January 15 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood et al fo help + continued interest
My cousin is assimilating all the info we have so far ...I'm not good on the computer + really need tp print tese conversations out so i don't miss anything . still looking for Ggfather's grave I keep missing daytime hours to phone some welsh cemetaries . if he did get a Jewish burial maybe his Jewish name will be transcribed on headstone .

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 February 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Barnet appears as Bernard on  record of his marriage to Lena Ratner

spellling is Benjaman Falman   in the 1905 census. If he was only 29 it makes his year of birth  approx 1876 .He should be older than my ggfather  George jacob Fellman b.1871

could this be the same man as Barius J Fellman (jacob) ...whose children Adolf,b 1892 ,Anne + Israel of Bent street ,Manchester were enrolled in schools  there in 1904.
I can't find his 1st wife's name as they arrive from latvia after 1901 and going to USA before 1911
so not on census .
could be rebecca fellman who died in prestwich aged 27 in 1900