Author Topic: Parish/Bender Marriage, Indiana  (Read 6539 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Parish/Bender Marriage, Indiana
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 December 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Obit listed for Lillian C Walter - last wife of Steven Shull -

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ef8/ 

FIND A GRAVE

Lillian Clara Shull - Burial: Walnut Grove Cemetery  Clinton Vermillion County
Indiana.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=113914374&ref=acom

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 December 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Blimey!  This is amazing!  My thanks to all!  This family have been a puzzle to me for a while now.  They travelled such distances, for one thing!  Elizabeth Hirst, Flora's mother, was my maternal grandmother Emily Hirst's aunt - her little brother Harry was my gt grandfather.  Many members of this family are buried at St Mark's Church, Low Moor. 
I have seen the photo of Elizabeth Hirst's grave on the Find a Grave website, but had not known of these other graves.
Little did I expect to find out so much from my post on Flora!  I will have a good read and enjoy unravelling the story.  She seems to have been a feisty lady.  I had wondered if there might have been a divorce somewhere, but had seen no evidence if it. 
Joshua Parish originally worked for the Low Moor Company (West Yorks) as a coal miner, and seems to have stuck to this trade for most of his life.
Again many thanks to all - I am most grateful!
Christine

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:07 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome.

In the Clinton Daily Clintonian from September 15, 1917, it said Joshua Parish of route 2 recently returned from Michigan.  It says he tried to work in a motor factory in Flint, but said it was too noisy for an old miner.  He said he does much harder work in a mine, but is more "his own boss" and is away from the terrific noise in the motor factory.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Blimey!  This is amazing!  My thanks to all!  This family have been a puzzle to me for a while now.  They travelled such distances, for one thing!  Elizabeth Hirst, Flora's mother, was my maternal grandmother Emily Hirst's aunt - her little brother Harry was my gt grandfather.  Many members of this family are buried at St Mark's Church, Low Moor. 
I have seen the photo of Elizabeth Hirst's grave on the Find a Grave website, but had not known of these other graves.
Little did I expect to find out so much from my post on Flora!  I will have a good read and enjoy unravelling the story.  She seems to have been a feisty lady.  I had wondered if there might have been a divorce somewhere, but had seen no evidence if it. 
Joshua Parish originally worked for the Low Moor Company (West Yorks) as a coal miner, and seems to have stuck to this trade for most of his life.
Again many thanks to all - I am most grateful!
Christine

You're very welcome Christine.  Lots of info to fill those gaps.

Happy New Year
Regards
Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
More marriage intrigue from the Daily Clintonian September 30, 1914 - Steven D. Shull, a grocery clerk of this city, was arrested on a warrant sworn out by his wife for desertion.  It said the couple had not lived together for more than 2 years and Mr. Shull brought an action for divorce about two years ago, but the case was never tried.  It says he began the action again two days ago and a summons was served on his wife.

It looks like the facts of this case were corrected in the next day's paper, which said his divorce from Goldie was granted about a year ago, he was trying to divorce Flora, and Flora was the one who had him arrested for desertion. 

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 December 14 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am patiently adding the info you have all found to my Ancestry tree.  It is fascinating! 
Flora seems to have been the only one of her siblings to reach adulthood.  She had 2 sisters, Mary and Ellen, who died infancy and who she never met.  Her brother, George Henry, died in Washington in 1894, aged 17.  I don't know what happened to him.  There is an entry for him on the Find a Grave website. 
In Yorkshire, the Hirst and Parish families earned their living as coal miners and foundrymen, working for the Low Moor company. 
Again, many thanks to all for the information you have found, and Happy New Year!
Christine