Author Topic: Bath Catholic Church records KELLY lookup please  (Read 1948 times)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bath Catholic Church records KELLY lookup please
« on: Wednesday 31 December 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for the baptisms of two people who appear on the 1841 census but who do not appear on later ones, to verify that they are true siblings and also to verify their baptismal names. The IGI does not carry the records of this church for these years.
They are:
William KELLY (or possibly Verulam William KELLY) son of William and Ann(a) Maria KELLY baptised about 1827 at Catholic Church Bath, Somerset
and
Irene KELLY (or possibly Irene Julianna KELLY) daughter of William and Ann(a) Maria KELLY baptised about 1829 at Catholic Church, Bath, Somerset
Any help gratefully received!
Many thanks.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Catholic Church records KELLY lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 January 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
As I said when you asked before, the only transcript I'm aware of of Bath Catholic baptisms finishes in 1825. Since then I've had a look at the copy in the Bath RO. As suspected, the only two children of William and Anna Maria Kelly listed there are:

Cecilia Eleanora Ann, daughter of William and Maria Kelly, baptized 22 July 1821. Sponsors Alexander Rorley[?] and Ann Green

Leonora Elizabeth, daughter of William and Anna Maria Kelly, born 3 Aug 1823, baptized 10 Aug 1823. Sponsors Patrick Madding and Elizabeth Green.

There was a William Kelly confirmed in Dec 1821, but that is probably the father or someone unrelated.

A note with the RO copy lists other registers from St John's, the oldest Catholic church in Bath. The baptisms there start in 1848. So I'm afraid it looks like there are no surviving baptism records from the period you want.

David

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 January 15 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh - OK thanks for that. I didn't realise they didn't exist at all - just thought they weren't available online. Sorry.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 January 15 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to be sorry about. I didn't know either until I saw that note ... and I wouldn't be sure even now. I notice the list doesn't include any burials for the relevant period either, but there are registers covering those, the RO has photos. I think it would be worth you e-mailing or phoning Bath RO and asking if they know of any Catholic baptism registers for the late 1820s. They're always very helpful.

http://www.batharchives.co.uk/about_us/contact_us.aspx

David

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 January 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I will.