Author Topic: are they masons? *Completed*  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
are they masons? *Completed*
« on: Sunday 03 July 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
I think one of the men this photo might be of my gggrandfather Joseph Beer who was a stone mason, but he died in 1900, would this picture have been taken before that?, are the men in it masons? where could it have been taken, what's the building behind them, he was living in Clase, Wales in 1891 and his family were living in Llantwit and Neath, Wales in 1901.
Thanks
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: are they masons?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I'm afraid I can't help with your question - but think I have made the photo a bit clearer for someone else to see?!

They look like builders of some description to me!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 05 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
Can you describe the mount a little more, or post a picture of the full card and the back?  It looks like it might be a postcard format - is that right?  Getting the format  right can help us to date it.
Prue

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 05 06:53 BST (UK) »
I like their sense of humour, anyway ... rare to see such informality in a photograph from the nineteenth century :)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 05 08:33 BST (UK) »
here's a full scan of the front, unfortunately its a copy so I don't have information on what was on the back.
I've taken a close up of the writing in the corner if this helps, I have no idea what it says.

Paul E, apart from one hitting the other over the head that man on the left seems to be picking his nose, I thought it was a very odd and amusing picture.

Paul E

« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 05 08:46 BST (UK) »
Looks a little like 'Ilfracombe' there, Sharon.

Paul

PS  I was being discrete in not mentioning the nose-picker!! :)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
The printing in the bottom corner probably gives the photography studio ("Something-or-Other Photo") and then the place:  Ilfracombe I reckon, as Paul says.

It looks like a typical postcard style print to me, a style which came about in around 1900 and remained popular for decades.  Not sure whether that helps at all....

Prue

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 July 05 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul & Prue,
I would never have figured that out Paul, I just googled 'Ilfracombe' it's in Devon isn't it, Joseph Beer came from Devon (all his siblings remained there) he only moved to Wales in 1880, he came from a place called Alwington is that anywhere near 'Ilfracombe' or am I miles away.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 July 05 10:34 BST (UK) »

45miles south of Ilfracombe and you come to Alwington - could be just about right?!

This will take you to an old map of the place:
http://www.devon.gov.uk/etched?url=etched/ixbin/hixclient.exe&_IXP_=1&_IXR=100044

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails