Author Topic: Alice Wheeler ?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline angelina ballerina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Wheeler ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Colin, they would still have their death recorded though surely, I just keep drawing  blank like she disappeared off the face of the earth, ive got all the other family. x

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
It shouldn't be considered a blank until After you have proved the ref I found isn't her.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline broakham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Did Alice have relatives living in Ecclesall Bierlow ? She may have gone to a relatives for the birth.

Edit - The Jessop Hospital for Women had an annexe at Norton Hall which is in Ecclesall B.
Slack - Sheffield/Dbys/Lincs/Notts
Buxton/Oates/Mawhood/Simmonite/Rawson/Coombs/Dunk/Wilson/Bramham/Briggs/Cowley/Kay/Leesley/Sarson/White - all mainly Sheffield area

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 January 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
hi Pauline, no relatives that I know of only Rotherham but I will investigate spouse Horace Powell in case he had. the last child I can find is 1929,Eunice., she was Rotherham born. Thanks. ange x

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 January 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Where and when did Horace die? That could be a pointer to where Alice died.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
thanks everyone, ive spent a long time scrolling throough records and still not found anything about alice, last record is 1929. If she were at Sheffields Jessops Womens hospital, is there anywhere I can check those records. if she died in childbirth, wouldn't the infant be registered as male or female infant? I cant be certain about Horace powell (spouse) there are no pointers to the whereabouts of him, but I know the three children went on to get married still in Rotherham x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I give up, 2 days ive been at this, don't know where alice went and there are that many Horace powells, it could be several of them. thanks for your help x

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
She could have died of a pregnancy - related illness,  and the child stillborn,  so not appearing on any index.   

If you are not going to purchase the candidate death certificate,  then I  can't see any point in further conjecture.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
How close a relative is this Alice to you? If you don't want to purchase a certificate, it will be a long search, whether to find Alice, or locate Horace's death.
Do you have any of the children's marriage certificates? If so, is Horace listed as deceased on them? That will narrow down your search.
From your post, I gather there are no Horace Powell's in the Rotherham area. This lends more credence to the 1932 death that PaulineJ found, in my opinion.
Stillborns were registered in a separate register, but these records are closed to the public. As PaulineJ has said, Alice may have died of complications prior to birth.
Have you looked at newspapers for an obituary? I'm not sure whether the relevant newspapers are available online, but they could be searched in person.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.