Author Topic: Photo restoration of Pete and Antoni  (Read 2541 times)

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
Re: Photo retoration
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:21 GMT (UK) »
thank you restore45 that was a brilliant image and really lfe like tooo!!!!great job!!!

have scanned at 600dpi if this helps

regards
peter
Surname interests:
Machon(Poland), Hill, Howard, Tate, Cockburn, Maltby, Atack(Haytack), Wood, Walker, Brittle, Anderson
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Area Interests:
Poznan Poland, Nottingham, London, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Durham, Northumberland, Huddersfield West Yorkshire, Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
Re: Photo restoration of Pete and Antoni
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:30 GMT (UK) »
same image BUT larger file size
Surname interests:
Machon(Poland), Hill, Howard, Tate, Cockburn, Maltby, Atack(Haytack), Wood, Walker, Brittle, Anderson
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Area Interests:
Poznan Poland, Nottingham, London, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Durham, Northumberland, Huddersfield West Yorkshire, Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I think something has happened to the original as there isn't any facial detail of the baby that I can see. Perhaps water damage?  ???

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The baby looks like a negative image in my software too  ???
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I was actually going to say the bub has an "X ray" like appearance, but I didn't want to offend or be insensitive.  :-\  The chap can be saved, but the facial details for the baby would have to be made up which I personally wouldn't do.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if the baby may have been added....the hand holding the baby looks out of proportion and more like a lady's hand...but I could be wrong.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Aladdin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Are you scanning a neg here or a print? I think the problem here may be that the original photo is "silvered" This is making the surface of the photo reflect and refract the scanner light all over the place, like a distorted mirror really, therefore no real image detail is being scanned. If you tip the photo at an angle in certain light and it looks silvery blackish on the surface then I think that is where the problem lies. It might help to scan the pic at various angles to see if you can reduce the effect. It might be possible to combine a few scans of the image which have been scanned at different angles to get the best from each area. However I think it is going to be difficult to do and the scans need to be identical in size and res so they can be combined as required.
This problem is generally caused by the original film being inadequately fixed and or washed in the wet darkroom. It may be possible to re-fix and wash the neg or print if you have that possibility, and dry carefully not allowing any droplets on the surface. Probably best undertaken by someone with experience in a wet darkroom.
Not very encouraging I am afraid but I hope it helps.