Author Topic: Can anyone read Belgian/Flemish please?  (Read 21856 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Can anyone read Belgian/Flemish please?
« on: Tuesday 06 January 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to translate please  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read Belgian/Flemish please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 23:42 GMT (UK) »
In the year eighteen hundred and ninety-eight, the 8th November, at 8 o'clock before noon, before me Bernard van der Stricht, Ships Agent, official of the civil registry of Hermele(?) appeared:
Emile Van de Kerckhove, forty three years old, wheelwright and innkeeper, born in Schoorisse and Jan Baptist van Waeyenberghe forty seven years old entrepreuner born locally, both living in Hermele, the first man and the second neighbours of the deceased,
which have declared before us today for an hour and half's in this municipality, having homes on  Groenelaan has died Prudentia Modde, forty two year old, born in Opfrakel and living in Hermele, daughter of Petrus Modde, deceased of Segelsem, and Theresia De Temmerman, farmer and innkeeper, living in Opfrakel, wife of the first declarer, we have prepared this document.

Can't promise that's 100%, but it's close!! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, I'm so grateful. Thank you  :-*
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Good job KGarrad, almost perfect (99% ;D), only a few adjustements

In the year eighteen hundred and ninety-eight, the 8th November, at 8 o'clock before noon, before me Bernard van der Stricht, alderman, official of the civil registry of Herzele appeared:
Emile Van de Kerckhove, forty three years old, wheelwright and innkeeper, born in Schorisse and Jan Baptist van Waeyenberghe forty seven years old, entrepreuner, born locally, both living in Herzele, the first husband and the second neighbour of the deceased,
which have declared before us that today at 1 hour and a half in the morning in this municipality, in her home in the Groenlaan has died Prudentia Modde, forty two year old, seamstress, born in Opbrakel and living in Herzele, daughter of Petrus Modde deceased in Zegelsem and of Theresia De Temmerman, farmer and innkeeper living in Opbrakel, wife of the first declarant, of which we have prepared this document, which we have signed with the declarants after the reading.
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant thanks!  :-*

I have been looking on the map for Hermele and then trying to find something that looked like it  ;D

Interesting that she is married but the death is recorded in her maiden name.  That par for the course in Belgium?

I wish there were more Brakel, Lierde region records!

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 10:11 GMT (UK) »
This is saying Petrus died in Zegelsem?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Good job KGarrad, almost perfect (99% ;D), only a few adjustements

Dankuwel, Leen!

I have to admit, I did struggle with the "officialese", especially the last sentence!! :D
My Dutch is conversational, rather than official jargon ::)

But pleased with the score of 99%! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I remembered I had contacted an official in Belgium in 2010 who was very helpful and sent me my grandfather's birth record so I emailed him again to see if you would kindly translate the new document and he did.

"Below please find the essential information derived from the death certificate of Prudentia Modde.
She died in HERZELE (it is written Herzeele in the certificate but in modern Dutch one “e” was deleted)
in 1898 on the 8th of November Prudentia Modde was 42 years old and she was born in Opbrakel as daughter of Petrus Modde who died in Zegelsem and Theresia De Temmerman, living in Opbrakel, profession: female farmer and tavern keeper. Her husband is Emile Vande Kerckhove. He was born in Schorisse and he is 43 years old. His profession is coach-builder and tavern keeper. Prudentia died in her house located at Groenlaan (“Groen” is green and “laan” is lane) in Herzele. This street still exists."

I give you both 10 of 10 for being so helpful and quick.  Thanks both.  :-*

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Leen is Belgian, and Flemish - so I would expect her to get it right!

I'm just a Brit who lived in the Netherlands for 16 years (for English-speaking companies) - that's why I get a bit lost with official Dutch!! ::) ;D