Author Topic: Advice on researching Irish civil marriage record indexes.  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice on researching Irish civil marriage record indexes.
« on: Thursday 08 January 15 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a possible marriage record that could be one of my ancestors. Name, area and date of marriage tie in.  The problem is there are so many possible matches on that record.  I have ruled out a few but it is very difficult.  I was wondering from any of the experienced audience out there if anyone would have any tips or advice on how to go about it finding who she actually married?  The marriage was in 1896 in Armagh Co. Down for an Elizabeth Hunter b.1877. The record I have is from ancestry. I'm not very experienced on the family search site yet, on how to look for marriages, so any advice is very welcomed. Thanks :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on researching civil marriage record indexes.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't answer your question but rootsireland.ie have the following

Church Marriage   Hunter   Elizabeth   1896    Co Antrim
Civil Marriage   Hunter   Elizabeth   1896   Co. Armagh
Church Marriage   Hunter   Elizabeth   1896   Co. Antrim
Church Marriage   Hunter   Elizabeth   1896   Co. Antrim

Whoops that got posted before I was finished [cat walked across  keyboard ;)

None in Down. There are many duplicated records on this site [as I have learned to my dismay & cost] so 2 of  the Antrim ones are probably the same record. It used to cost 25 credits to view the record but now it is a subscription site.  These would show the spouse's name.

ADDED: on familysearch.org you can search by 'life event'; choose marriage & put in the years then counrty Ireland. There are 3 1896 entries, 2 in Belfast 1 in Armagh but these only lead to the civil registration index allowing a certificate to be ordered if you want to find the spouse's name.

On most UK sites [freebmd, ancestry etc] you can click on the page number of a GRO reference which will show the names of others registered on that page; sometimes this will just be one other name, sometimes several choices which you can then check for suitable 'pairings' on subsequent censuses.   
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 15 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey, thanks for that, unfortunately being less experienced I made a mistake and subscribed to ancestry.  Could kick myself as roots ireland would have been a better choice for me.  I have the Armagh Elizabeth Hunter record index and on that particular date there are so many possible matches not just two or three,  its a long shot and a long list!  But sure I'll just plod on.
You said you can order the original marriage record, I tried to look into that but it doesn't let me buy records for ireland on ancestry, then I tried Groni for a different record and icouldn't find it, even though I had the information from ancestry.  For my Scottish records I use scotlandspeople and I know what you mean about eating away at the credit.  Thanks again

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 January 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried eliminating any of  the pairings by looking at the 1901 census?

I have only ordered certificates for the republic from GRO Roscommon - but there you can download an order form & get a 'research' copy for €4. I have  no idea how much GRONI charge but someone here will know  :)

It appears that for GRONI this is the starting page - have you tried this?
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
using the GRO reference from here
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYCF-K4W
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on researching Irish civil marriage record indexes.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a possible marriage record that could be one of my ancestors. Name, area and date of marriage tie in.  The problem is there are so many possible matches on that record.  I have ruled out a few but it is very difficult.  I was wondering from any of the experienced audience out there if anyone would have any tips or advice on how to go about it finding who she actually married?  The marriage was in 1896 in Armagh Co. Down for an Elizabeth Hunter b.1877. The record I have is from ancestry. I'm not very experienced on the family search site yet, on how to look for marriages, so any advice is very welcomed. Thanks :)

There are various databases online and using a combination of them you can often find matching details. However, the best one in this case is probably GRONI's new index.
1) search for Elizabeth Hunter marriage 1896-1897 brings up 6 results- 1 in Armagh district: 12 May 1896 Armagh district to ? Mills.
2) search for Mills marriage 1896/97 Armagh brings up 3 results-
William Mills married ? Hunter
So, Elizabeth Hunter married William Mills
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 January 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I have  no idea how much GRONI charge but someone here will know  :)

£2 to view a certificate. (Use the search registrations option).
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on researching Irish civil marriage record indexes.
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 January 15 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   12 May 1896 William Mills married Elizabeth Hunter in Armagh Church of Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim