Author Topic: LOOKUP VISIT - Catholic Marriage in Barrow in Furness 1913-1923  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Yukon Brat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Time is the best gift!
    • View Profile
LOOKUP VISIT - Catholic Marriage in Barrow in Furness 1913-1923
« on: Saturday 10 January 15 09:28 GMT (UK) »
GROOM: George William Hammond (b1866), widower, from Newfound England (farm), Hauxwell / Constable Burton (in Yorkshire Dales).  George was the son of Mark Hammond and Jane Richardson
BRIDE: Loretta Teresa Garvey (b1887), spinster, from Sunderland, but may have been resident in Bainbridge in the Yorkshire Dales.

Loretta was Irish Catholic and worked for a family as a nursemaid.  She apparently spoke fondly of visiting Barrow when she worked with this family.

The marriage does not appear in the national indexes.  And they do not appear to have married in a local parish, either in the Dales, or in Sunderland (St Marys).

I don't believe any of the RC registers from this era in Barrow have been deposited, filmed or transcribed, so I believe the only way is to consult the actual parish register at the church.  Because I am in Canada, I am hoping someone might be able to have a little look for me.

Sorry, I don't know which RC parish - but I might plump for St Patrick's since he is the patron saint of Ireland.  (St Patrick's closed in 2009 and is now linked with St Columba)
Taylor, Metcalfe, Garvey, Hammond, Hopper, Lodge, Lofthouse, Britton, Sage, Kitching (ALL in Yorkshire - North Riding)

Offline Yukon Brat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Time is the best gift!
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP VISIT - Catholic Marriage in Barrow in Furness 1913-1923
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 January 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that Loretta's parents were Edward Garvey and Jane Ann Eleanor Binks.
Taylor, Metcalfe, Garvey, Hammond, Hopper, Lodge, Lofthouse, Britton, Sage, Kitching (ALL in Yorkshire - North Riding)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 January 15 09:42 GMT (UK) »
To prevent unnecessary searching and information- previous threads here.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=692792.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709503

Have you got the baptism of the first child? Which church did that take place in?
Where were they living when the first child was born?
Is the address in the same parish as the first baptism?

As stated previously, they may not have married. The civil registrar had to attend a marriage in a Catholic Church.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yukon Brat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Time is the best gift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Living at Newfound England when 1st child was born.  I do not have access to RC baptismal records for the children.  Likely baptized in Richmond.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Living at Newfound England when 1st child was born.  I do not have access to RC baptismal records for the children.  Likely baptized in Richmond.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Which parishes have been checked? You say they do not appear to have married in the Dales or Sunderland.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I thought the first child was registered in Leyburn?