Author Topic: Looking for the McCauley Family from Llanhilleth Wales  (Read 3708 times)

Offline jessicamccauley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the McCauley Family from Llanhilleth Wales
« on: Monday 12 January 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I seeking information about my family.  My grandfather, Joseph McCauley came over to America when he was young with his mother Rose and his sisters Pat and Olivia.  If anyone has information about this family, please contact me.  I would be so grateful.  Oh!  It was said (family history) that Joe McCauley (my grandfather) was a rugby star who won a college scholarship at 15 for his participation in the sport.  I have not been able to verify the truth of that.  However, I have verified that my uncle, William (Bill) McCauley became the NY State Heavyweight Wrestling Champion in the 1960's, so I know sports were very important to my family.  I do not have the name of my grandfather's father, unfortunately. 

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the McCauley Family from Llanhilleth Wales
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to RootsChat ;D

You don't mention Joseph's approximate age?   This may be wrong family but just in case there is this family in Syracuse, Onondaga, New York in 1930 with step child Joseph McCauley.  All listed as born England and most came to USA in 1928

George P Marshall 45 b England  Labourer
Rose A Marshall    49 b England
Olive Marshall    10
Patricia Marshall    8
J Charles Mc Cauley 27 stepson
Albert J Mc Cauley 26 stepson
Dorothy A Mc Cauley    21 stepdaughter
Joseph T Mc Cauley 18 stepson

And a previous marriage in Llanhilleth of a Rosa Ada McCauley age 36 Widow (Father Charles Galton) and George Marshall 34 Soldier (father Robert Marshall) in 1917  ties the family possibly into yours https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCTJ-1VT

Kay

Edit in 1940 both J Charles McCauley and Joseph T McCauley above were living together in Sidney, Delaware, New York with birth places listed as Wales

Joseph C McCauley 37 Proprietor Retail Parts?
Althea McCauley    40 b New York
Richard C McCauley 1 New York
Joseph J McCauley 28 Engineer

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism of a Dorothy Ada McCauley (that would match the Dorothy above)on 20 Jan 1909 in Llanhilleth with parents Joseph and Rosina McCauley.   Joseph is listed as a Labourer

There are also baptisms for Joseph Charles McCauley on 2 Nov 1902 at Roath and Albert John McCauley on 15 April 1904 at St Mary Cardiff with parents Joseph and Rosina/Rose

Looking at McCauley birth and baptisms in Wales it looks as like that both J Charles McCauley and Joseph T McCauley shown on the 1930 census had the first name Joseph

Offline jessicamccauley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 15 17:48 GMT (UK) »
You are all FANTASTIC!!!  Thank you so much!  I apologize for not supplying a birth date.  Joseph T. McCauley born on Oct. 7, 1911 in Llanhilleth.  Is there any way of finding out if I still might have any relatives in Llanhilleth?  And how would I go about obtaining a birth certificate for my grandfather?  Is this even possible?  I appreciate you all so much!  I cannot believe how fast and thorough you have been.  Thank you again!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 15 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Glad it looks like the same family.   You can buy Joseph's birth cert from the General Record Office for £9. 25 - sorry posted before I finished - will update with more details

Kay

Link to GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
You can quote these reference numbers from the FreeBMD site ( http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) for the cert

Joseph T W McCauley Mothers Maiden Name Galton in Dec Qtr 1911 Pontypool   Registration District  Vol 11a   Page 326

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
The family also appear on the 1911 census in Wales which we can't post due to copyright, but I suggest you check the 1911 census. http://www.1911census.co.uk/

This is from a free search https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7PW-RLW  If the family only stayed temporarly in the village and all emigrated their relations may not remain in the area

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 15 18:36 GMT (UK) »
As Joseph's mothers maiden name name was Galton this looks like the reference numbers for his parent's marriage from the FreeBMD index 
Rosina Ada Galton - Joseph McCauley Dec Qtr 1901 Cardiff Registration District Vol 11a Page 744

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There is a passenger list for George and "Rosie Ada" Marshall and their children here - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24X8-4N5  The second page lists their relative in the country from whence they came as George's brother-in-law John Galtin, 59 Havodarthen, Llananhillith, Mon. 

I found an obituary for Roseina McCauley Marshall in the Syracuse Post Standard, which said she was a native of London.  The passenger list also says she was born London, England.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I think Rosina was working at a servant at St Mary, Cardiff in 1901 before her marriage listed as Rosina A Galton age   23 born Middlesex London

Interesting find by shellesq of a brother for Rosina living in Llanhillith. There was a Joseph John Galton living in the village in 1911 born in Kilburn in 1888 Free search - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7PW-RL6 This looks like a possible Joseph John and family in 1901 living at St Mary Cardiff

Alice Galton 42 Widow b Marylebone London
Joseph Galton 14 b Willsdon, Middlesex, Errand Boy
Thomas Galton    10 Deaf b Willsdon, Middlesex
William Galton    8 b Cardiff
Earnest Galton    2 b Cardiff

Kay